Instructions For Setup

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Instructions For Setup

Post by TABwebmaster » 04-24-2003 06:24 AM

First, if you have SETI@home running (I assume you have the screensaver version here but it doesn't matter) allow it to finish the wu it's working on and return it. Watch closely so you can close the program when or before it starts to download a new wu.

(If this is your first time setting up SETI@home don't pay attention to that.)

Next, uninstall SETI@home and then delete the folder it was in. Now, even though a lot of you may have a stable system, I would recommend that you reboot. It's always a good idea to reboot after uninstalling a program.
  • Create A New Folder-
    ...name it whatever you like, mine is SAH.
  • Downloading The Programs-
    Now don't do anything with these...just download them to the folder that you just created:
    SETI Driver
    Command-line client...scroll down and find the one that says:
    i386-winnt-cmdline.exe...I tell you that because they just released version 3.08 and I want this to be a lasting set of instructions in case they ever update it again. This is about half-way down the page and has two mirrors to choose from. Choose the mirror and download it to the folder mentioned above.
  • Installation-
    Now extract the SETI Driver .zip file to the same folder. Make sure that everything is within your "SAH" folder. Once SETI Driver.zip has been opened and everything is now in the same folder with your command-line client you should see the blue SETI Driver icon. This is the program and you will want to create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Right-click that blue icon and choose to "Send To" and then "Desktop (Create Shortcut)". Now you can close that folder.

Next, go to your desktop to make sure that the shortcut you just created is actually there. If it is, double-click it. Now you should have SETI Driver opened. Here's the toughest part. You have to make sure that your SETI Driver looks like this:
  • Configuration-
    Make sure the "Display Transmit" checkbox is checked...at least for the first wu so you can answer the questions about whether you are a new or returning user and to supply your member e-mail.
    Select the number of processes you want to use in the Maximum Processes Box.
    Clear the Hide Processing check box.
    Set the Desired Cache Size to 1.
    Click on the Transmit Button
    Once the SETI Client has a WU, SETI Driver will start the client processing. If you are on NT or W2K, you may need to login to the client one more time.
    Set your Desired Cache Size and click Transmit to fill the cache.
    At this point, configure SETI Driver as desired.
That's all there is to it. Now if you want to use our SETI Queue Server you will have to select the radio button that says "Proxy Server" and then fill in the "Host" and "Port" boxes so that you can get your wu's from our TAB Queue Server hosted by Robert (TABserver).
"Host" is: SETIWU.SETI-TEAMARTBELL.COM
"Port" is: 5517

Here's a screenshot of what mine looked like a while back:

Make sure not to check the box for Use SETISpy unless you are using that program in conjunction with SETI Driver. If you are or want to you can find setup instructions here for setting up all three, SETI Driver, SETISpy and the cmdline client:

http://www.setisynergy.com/info/setup-c ... driver.php

Also, if you just want to run SETISpy with the command-line client, Terry Groff will, hopefully list his instructions here. He did a great job and I don't want to take the credit.

Whatever you choose to use, the setups are basically revolving around the same procedures.

Mark

P.S.~If I missed something here, let me know. Also, if you have instructions that differ for Linux or Mac or any other O/S setups of the command-line client...please post them here! :D
Last edited by TABwebmaster on 04-28-2004 12:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SuperDave
Pirate

Excellent!

Post by SuperDave » 05-12-2003 12:08 AM

I noticed about an hour difference when I changed over from the ScreenShaver version to the Command Line version. I now have an ego boosting 3hr 15min average time per WU.:eek:

Let the hate mail begin :D
Don't Panic!

Terry Groff
Pirate

SETISpy configuration for the TAB Server

Post by Terry Groff » 05-12-2003 12:20 AM

If you are using SetiSpy to monitor your WU's you can configure it to use the TAB WU-Server by following the steps below.

1. Open the SETISpy interface.
2. In the left hand menu click on "Client".
3. The screen in Fig 1. should open.
4. Click "Configure". You should see the screen in Fig2. below.
5. In the Client Parameter(s) box enter -proxy http://setiwu.seti-teamartbell:5517 (The preceding dash is required. If you have other parameters make sure that they are separated by a space.)
6. Click "OK".
7. in the Client window (Fig 1.) click "(Re)start".

Fig.1

Fig.2
Terry Groff
The Dallas-Ft. Worth Mutual UFO Network - Webmaster
MUFON - Field Investigator/Webmaster
The Universal SETI/BOINC WebRing - Ringmaster

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 07-09-2003 12:04 AM

mine did it by itself all i had to do is check the box on the driver use seti spy:) :) :) yo David lol no hate mail mine was turning 3 1/2 per WU
Last edited by Astro_Tom1 on 07-09-2003 12:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 07-09-2003 02:33 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm now its at around 4 hrs i guess it depends on the WU:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SuperDave
Pirate

Post by SuperDave » 07-09-2003 09:41 PM

muah hahahahahahaha

And now for something completely different...

Darth- "My training is now complete. When I left you I was just the learner, now I am the master..."

Obiwan- "Only a master of evil Darth"

<lightsaber battle>

Luke- BEN!

</lightsaber battle>

:D
Don't Panic!

Terry Groff
Pirate

Post by Terry Groff » 08-08-2003 05:23 PM

Astro_Tom1 wrote: mine did it by itself all i had to do is check the box on the driver use seti spy:) :) :)

This config is for those who use SetiSpy by itself:cool:
Terry Groff
The Dallas-Ft. Worth Mutual UFO Network - Webmaster
MUFON - Field Investigator/Webmaster
The Universal SETI/BOINC WebRing - Ringmaster

Astro_Tom1
Pirate

Post by Astro_Tom1 » 08-10-2003 06:56 AM

I know but it works so if it aint broke dont fix it;)

MarkusGarvey
Pirate

Post by MarkusGarvey » 10-14-2003 11:22 PM

why do i want to use the TAB seti server for my wu's , as apposed to using the default server setting ???

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 10-28-2003 04:12 AM

MarkusGarvey wrote: why do i want to use the TAB seti server for my wu's , as apposed to using the default server setting ???

Markus, you don't have to use it...it's just there in case the Berkeley servers go down so you can have a place that is always up to retrieve wu's from.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 01-23-2004 01:55 AM

Bringing this back to the top for the benefit of those still using the screensaver and new members. :D

Return to “Team Art Bell”