7/7/07 Live Earth Concert

Moving toward Type One civilization...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 02:58 PM

SETIsLady wrote: I think the servers are getting slammed.:)

That's what I think, too, Linda. ;) There is prolly a lot of buzz out there about Melissa's set, and since NBC chose NOT to include it in their 'highlights' show last night, this is THE ONE that people are wanting to view now.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-08-2007 02:59 PM

I very much enjoyed sharing this experience with my friends. Lets hope that it accomplishes what it set out to do. I heard Robert Kennedy yesterday, he was spot on !!! I encourage every to listen to him.

Julie, I think they will be selling DVDs for this concert as well :)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 03:01 PM

P.S. - Plus... "I Need to Wake Up" is an Oscar-winning song! (It won for best documentary score.) Of course people want to see it performed LIVE!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 03:03 PM

SETIsLady wrote: I very much enjoyed sharing this experience with my friends. Lets hope that it accomplishes what it set out to do. I heard Robert Kennedy yesterday, he was spot on !!! I encourage every to listen to him.

Julie, I think they will be selling DVDs for this concert as well :)

I'm enjoying this, too. :) And yes, I'm hoping there will be DVDs for sale. And that it is INCLUSIVE. If they leave Melissa (and RFK, Jr.) out like NBC did last night, NO WAY they'll get my $.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-08-2007 03:07 PM

Lets hope not, I don't think they will :)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 04:31 PM

The second half of Melissa's set, "I Need to Wake Up," is posted on YouTube now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20cHf5pytFs
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 04:36 PM

And here's another link to video of Melissa that is supposed to be higher quality than the one at YouTube:

http://richmonddemocrat.blogspot.com/20 ... earth.html
I'm watching this now. It looks to be the entire set all together. Cool!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 05:01 PM

This isn't the entire set, but it's probably the biggest upload this person could manage, I'd figure. It is the majority of the set, though, and includes most of her call to action, and shows the *power* of her performance. Wow... she made me cry all over again. Damn. This is the heart and soul of the entire day right here. She's pouring out so much energy here... so are all the musicians involved with her. Check out the drummer, too! There is passion here, and love... she's giving us all she has to give, and then some. Her message is a positive one, "I believe..."
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-08-2007 05:18 PM

Joolz wrote: And here's another link to video of Melissa that is supposed to be higher quality than the one at YouTube:

http://richmonddemocrat.blogspot.com/20 ... earth.html
I'm watching this now. It looks to be the entire set all together. Cool!

Thank you so much Joolz, "Imagine that" it made me cry, I for one would like to know what happened, where are all the Americans, why aren't they standing up for an unjust war, we did, where are they.:(

Yes a defining moment in more ways than one.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 05:46 PM

You're MOST welcome, Shirley. I was thinking of you when I posted that link, hoping you'd finally get to see this. Pass it on!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-08-2007 05:49 PM

Thank you again my friend, I have already sent it to everyone in my address book.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-08-2007 06:57 PM

Just watched it again !! The comments on this guys website that Joolz posted are so true

Melissa Etheridge's performance hit the audience at Live Earth like a lightning bolt. This was a historic performance, a defining moment in her career and American politics

She had others crying in the crowd. Lets hope she hit home with more people.

I can't get over her strength, she said what we all have been saying. !!! Thank God, someone had to scream this !!!!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-08-2007 07:10 PM

I can't get over her strength, she said what we all have been saying. !!! Thank God, someone had to scream this !!!!

We need many more screamers, just maybe she has gotten through to our young citizens, it's always the young that effect change. God bless her.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 08:11 PM

OK, I promised to post my list, so here goes… along with a few comments. :)

- Use CFL bulbs wherever possible
(some of my light fixtures won’t accommodate them, but I’ve got them everywhere I possibly can)

- Recycle, recycle, recycle
(our city provides a container for recyclable materials, so we have bins in the house to separate the trash as we toss it)

- Reuse everything we can, and often buy used whenever we can
(some things don’t HAVE to be brand, spanking new, and to be honest, I often find more character in, say, a used bookcase picked up at a yard sale or the Goodwill than I do something bought brand-new at the store)

- Have weatherized our home as much as possible
(it’s an old home, and we don’t own it—YET!—but we’ve done what we can… we’ve patched up every hole and leak we could find, and have plans to install (removable) heat film on the south and west windows to help conserve energy and lower our utility bills)

- Have replaced our AC units with Energy Star units
(couldn’t find swamp coolers anywhere or might have gone that way… and, unfortunately, in this climate, having some way to cool your home is a health necessity)

- Keep the thermostats higher than average in the summer and lower in the winter than average

- Plan to replace the refrigerator with an Energy Star appliance this fall

- Water heater set at 120

- Unplug/turn off appliances (computers, too) when not in use wherever possible, and have unplugged all chargers for cell phones, cameras, etc.

- Wash only full loads and try to dry as much as possible without the clothes dryer

- Buy eco-friendly cleaning products and recycled paper products
(I really like Seventh Generation products – they cost a little more, but are good stuff… I use their laundry detergent, dish soap, kitchen cleaner, shower & tub cleaner, toilet paper, and paper towel)

- Plant trees and other green, growing things, grow vegetables (organically!), and make compost to enrich the soil

- Carpool whenever we can (like to classes) or ride the bus

- Print on both sides of the paper whenever possible to do so
(I can’t do that for school papers, but my printer has a ‘duplex’ printing setting and I use that for everything else)

- Use comics and other things for wrapping paper for gifts

- Use email or the internet whenever possible instead of snail mail

- Reuse boxes and packing materials when sending packages

- Put solar lighting in my back yard

Now, for a few additional comments… This was almost 30 years ago, but I refused to use disposable diapers with my daughter. I used cloth ones instead. Also, and this is nothing more than a statement of fact and certainly not meant to say I think everyone else should do as I have done, but, I stopped eating beef and pork almost 34 years ago (fall of 1973), so have not contributed to those industries on a personal level since then. I do eat chicken, fish, and seafood sometimes, but it is not often, and I would like to eliminate even those from my diet (did so for many years), but this would make it harder on the rest of my family, so I compromise there.

The point here is we all do what we can, and the effect is cumulative. The point is NOT that we all have to ditch all our electronic devices, or go vegan (I am not vegan!), or only wear clothes made from hemp (although that is a GREAT fabric!), or all ride the bus or bicycles, but we do what we CAN, and strive to do more. We must THINK about what we do and why we do it, and make changes in our lives wherever we can. It all adds up when we are all trying to do something about it TOGETHER!

For example, I would love to own a hybrid car like vigo, but that is simply not feasible at this point in my life. It can, however, be a goal to aspire to, and I CAN try to limit driving my car whenever possible. Or, much as I admire the idea of not watering my yard to conserve resources (the amount of my yard that is devoted to lawn grass is comparably very small, however), that would just NOT be possible in a climate where it does NOT rain at all for about 7 months out of the year. Unfortunately, if I didn’t water my yard in the summer months, there would be nothing at all that grows here, including the trees, and the veggies. So, I have to make a compromise there, and while I’m at it, my little lawn gets a little drinkie, too. (I would have nothing but sand and burrs if I didn’t!)

OK… didn’t mean to make such a long post, and even so, there are, no doubt, some things I've forgotten to mention, but there ya go… :D
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-08-2007 08:19 PM

Corvid and I were commenting earlier on what a good job the camera person(s) did. The shot of the woman crying in the audience was a choice that was made at some level, and was important in letting us know what we weren't the only ones being moved by Melissa's performance. Of course, there were lapses, like that shot of some young gal's ample cleavage(!), but on the whole, it was excellent.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Awakening of global consciousness”