The Halloween 2009 Thread

Moving toward Type One civilization...

Moderator: Super Moderators

joequinn
Magister Ludi

The Halloween 2009 Thread

Post by joequinn » 10-21-2009 08:59 PM

Since nobody else appears to have done the honors, I hereby proclaim the formal opening of the FANTASTIC FORUM 2009 HALLOWEEN thread.

Happy Halloween, y'all! :D :D :D
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 10-21-2009 09:12 PM

Happy Halloween Joe, was waiting for you to start your annual thread.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-21-2009 09:14 PM

The city of Fayetteville, Arkansas, is facing a crisis. Halloween and the University of Arkansas Homecoming Game (for “the Hogs”) are both scheduled for the evening of Saturday, 31 October. Parents are trying to make allowances by taking their kids trick-n-treating on the previous evening or on Halloween afternoon.

http://www.4029tv.com/news/21372734/detail.html

All that I can say is that the people of Fayetteville are playing with fire, hell-fire! Satan, the Dark Lord, expects total subservience from his minions, especially on the most evil night of the year, and to diss the Lord of Darkness in favor of the “Hog Homecoming” is extremely unwise collective behavior. Expect an out-of-control epidemic of flesh-eating bacteria in Fayetteville on Sunday morning. That’s all I have to say about the subject…

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-21-2009 09:31 PM

It’s not only on The Fantastic Forum that you can get your throat slit if you say the wrong thing! Target, Walgreens and Walmart, among other retailers, are in deep doo-doo because of their “illegal alien” costume, which sports an alien head, a green card and an orange prisonlike jump suit stamped with the words “Illegal Alien.” Even worse, there is a “Sexy Illegal Alien” costume, which comes with a sombrero, a metallic minidress with poncho, handcuffs, and an alien mask with a bushy mustache. And this is during Hispanic Heritage Month!

As you can imagine, Latinos went loco, and next day, Target, Walmart and Walgreens all removed the costume from their websites. Target was the only one of the three to explain that the costumes had been inadvertently unloaded to their site but were never intended to be there. The Target spokesman should have saved his breath…

Of course, some people are delighted by the costume. Said one Amazon reviewer of the costume, “if there was only a way to depict him in an emergency room… or getting financial aid at a state college! Then it’d be 5 stars.”

Let’s face the facts, folks! Halloween has become highly adult, highly sexualized and highly political festival. We have much more than Dracula to be afraid of now on Halloween Night! :D :D :D

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cost ... oween-says

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-21-2009 09:40 PM

Happy Holloween Joe and Linda plus the Pirates of the Fantastic..

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-22-2009 12:25 AM

Bless you, Joe Quinn. This is my favorite thread of the year.
:)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-22-2009 12:26 AM

And the halloween costume story. That's really from 'The Onion', right?

:eek:

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-22-2009 12:27 AM

Hey, Linda and Shirley!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-22-2009 12:38 AM

No, Linnea. The article was no joke. In fact, it was from The Orange County (CA) Register, and it was written by a highly irate Hispanic reporter. Check it out for yourself...

This ain't your grandpa's Halloween, folks. Not any more it ain't...

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-22-2009 01:05 AM

Hey, y'all! :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Halloween Horrors: 5 Spooky TV Shows You Can Watch Online

Post by Linnea » 10-28-2009 02:15 AM

..from wired com

underwire:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/10/ ... more-19930

Twin Peaks - The Black Lodge
The Simpsons - Tree House of Horror XX
Twilight Zone - various episodes
The Living Dead, The Power of Nightmares

Other references and links...

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-30-2009 11:21 AM

I think the real figure may be much higher than 23%. A lot of people would not admit their true beliefs regarding this to anyone, not even a pollster.

--

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... sts_do_you

23% Believe in Ghosts, Do You?

Friday, October 30, 2009

BOOOOO! If things that go bump in the night scare you, chances are you’re among the 23% of American adults who believe in ghosts.

Sixty-five percent (65%) don’t believe in scary spirits, according to the latest Rasmussen Reports survey. But 12% aren’t sure if ghost stories are true or not.

The percentage of men and women who believe in ghosts are virtually the same. Adults ages 30 to 39 and 65 and older are less credulous than those in other age groups.

Unmarried adults believe in apparitions more than adults who are married. Adults without children are slightly more likely to think ghosts are out there than adults with children, but maybe not if the kids have their way.

Those who work in the private sector are twice as likely as government workers to believe in ghosts.

Most adults aren't scared about kids dressing up in Halloween costumes for school. In fact, 72% think it's a good idea. Many schools are replacing the word "Halloween" with “Fall Festival” because of negative connotations some see in the long-standing holiday name, but 66% don't think a name change is necessary.

Ghosts aren't the only as-yet unprovable thing some Americans suspect is true. In May, 53% said it was likely that life exists on other planets.
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-30-2009 06:38 PM

Congratulations Sir Christopher Lee. Your knighthood is well deserved! :)

I have always been a great fan of yours. :D

--

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... Wales.html

Sir Christopher Lee knighted by the Prince of Wales

Dracula star Sir Christopher Lee was knighted by the Prince of Wales and hailed the Hammer horror movies that made his name.

Published: 1:06PM GMT 30 Oct 2009

The prolific actor famed for his spine-chilling roles as Count Dracula and other dark characters said he would always be grateful to the studio that made his name.

Lee, who was knighted by Charles at a Buckingham Palace investiture ceremony, has appeared in more than 250 films and television productions and was honoured for services to drama and to charity.

The 87-year-old movie star was dressed in a morning suit for the event and walked with the aid of a stick after receiving treatment for a back injury he sustained during a fall.

After the ceremony Lee said he would not divulge what the Prince had said to him after being knighted but said the heir to the throne was ''extremely complimentary'' adding: ''He couldn't have been nicer and was very easy to talk to.''

Talking about his days with the Hammer Horror studios in the 1950s and 1960s he said: ''I've always been grateful for the opportunity to play characters, it happened to be for that company which made me not always a face but a name all over the world which was extremely important at that time.''

Lee became known for his blood-curdling performances opposite Peter Cushing in the Hammer movies but admitted he had become typecast by the end of the 1960s.

He added that his role in the 1970 movie The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes was a turning point and allowed him to branch out.

''Since then I've never been typecast although I've played a lot of bad guys, there's more scope than being the man in the white hat,'' he said.

Hammer has been resurrected in recent years and Lee has recently finished filming his latest movie The Resident starring Hilary Swank who he praised.

''Hilary is terrific, she's absolutely charming and a wonderful actress and the film is extremely well done.''

The veteran actor, who was knighted on the eve of Halloween, joked: "I've done a lot of films that have become iconic, not necessarily because of me."

These include The Wicker Man, which the actor is proud of as the writer Anthony Shaffer created the part of Lord Summerisle for him, and the villain Scaramanga in the James Bond movie The Man With The Golden Gun.

One of his favourite roles was depicting the founder of Pakistan Mohammed Ali Jinnah in the 1998 movie Jinnah.

Lee added: "A whole new career opened up for me when I was in Lords Of The Rings and Star Wars.

"What's really important for me is, as an old man, I'm known by my own generation and the next generation know me too."

His prolific career has seen him earn several Guinness World Records, including Most Connected Actor Living; Most Films With A Swordfight By An Actor and Tallest Actor In A Leading Role (Lee is a lofty 6ft 5in).

The actor joked about his time in the movie industry and held up his right hand to show his crooked little finger.

He joked: "That was done in a sword fight with Errol Flynn - after lunch. It nearly came off."

The 87-year-old also criticised modern horror movies that show "blood and gore and mutilation".

He said: "It's what you don't see that keeps you on the edge of your seat in any kind of film - leave it to the imagination of the viewer. "
--

Dracula star hails the Hammer horror movies that made his name.
racehorse

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-30-2009 06:47 PM

I am delighted by this news. A class act, now with the proper title.

Happy Halloween All!

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 10-30-2009 07:43 PM

Way to go, Sir Christopher!
Anchors Aweigh

Return to “Awakening of global consciousness”