A Call for Needfires!

Alternate news source. Reporters-at-large

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

A Call for Needfires!

Post by Joolz » 10-29-2004 07:25 PM

Below is the essay and action by Raven Grimassi (note: I have met Mr. Grimassi and can personally vouch that he is a good man with a great heart) that Isaac Bonewits referred to in the list of goals for visualization that I just posted. Please understand that this is written for a Pagan audience, but that I post it here because, again, I feel that there are some here who may want to particpate in this effort at some level. Participation at ANY level, even if just in visualization and amplification of energy, is helpful and welcomed. The needfire is a SYMBOL. Its purpose is as a tool for the focus of energy, for such images speak powerfully to our minds at the deep subconsious level where it is PICTURES, and not words, that we understand. For an understanding of needfires, it may be helpful to recall the scene in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King in which the great bonfires were lit on mountaintops across Middle Earth as a call to the people for urgent action as there was great evil afoot. The intent here, and the accompanying visualization, is much the same.

A Call for Needfire - 2004
by Raven Grimassi

One of the most empowering aspects of being a Pagan, Witch, or Wiccan is not living life as a victim. Personal power means that we are full participants in the affairs of our lives. How then do we respond when the world around us seems to be falling apart?

In ancient times when troubles beset the land, and the Kingdom seemed to be in peril, the people turned to a practice known as the needfire. Fire represented the spirit of the land, which gave life and purpose to everything in the realm. Therefore when troubles arose within the Kingdom it was a sign that the fire had been contaminated. The spirit of the land had grown ill and required renewed vitality.

The custom of lighting a needfire called for specific types of sacred wood to be used to feed the fire: birch, elm, hazel, holly, oak, pine, rowan, willow and yew. Each of these sacred woods served to pass desired qualities and blessings into the needfire. Through this practice the people were able to refocus their spiritual values, generating a new vitality with which to enliven the spirit of the land.

Here in contemporary times Americans saw life change drastically following the horrific events of September 11, 2001. The spirit of the land was unarguably contaminated in the aftermath of shock and fear. In an unprecedented reaction Americans relinquished several key constitutional rights with the establishment of the Patriot Act. This was reportedly necessary in order to allow the U.S. Government to avoid becoming encumbered by legal procedures when it needed to act quickly for national security purposes.

In some ways the spirit of the land that we once knew is almost unrecognizable today. Americans are now served with an almost daily dose of fear, which is reflected in the "color-coded national alert system" along with continuing media references to possible terrorists attacks. Fear makes us dependent, and has long been a tool of distraction and manipulation.

In ancient times there were some who used an analogy between goats and sheep to describe Pagans. Goats are active, independent, and difficult to herd together. Sheep are passive, easy to herd, and tend to follow anyone who will, lead. As modern Pagans this is part of our situation, for we are not sheep. This makes us powerful, and therefore we pose a threat to those whose agenda requires sheep.

As Americans we are told that our Nation is at war against terrorism, and that the continual erosion of our civil rights is necessary for our own protection. There is an old saying that the first victim in any war is the truth. Truth is the very core of the fire that represents the spirit of the land.

In Arthurian legend we find the theme that the land and the King are one. The well- being of the King is reflected in the well-being of the Kingdom. If the King fails then the Kingdom perishes. This covenant is essential to the fire that gives vitality to the spirit of the land.

When we look at our Kingdom today we find it in great peril and in economic strife. Unemployment is high and citizens are worried about the future. Many people feel that there is nothing the individual can do in such times. This may be rooted in the fact that Government officials often appear indifferent to our concerns except during an election year.

As Pagans, Witches and Wiccans we know that people are not powerless. Our ancestors understood that everything is connected and inseparable. What becomes of one thing then influences another. This is not unlike a standing row of dominos, and when one is tipped a chain reaction occurs. Such a concept is foundational to the principle of magic.

A more modern view of the value of the needfire is reflected in dealing with computer problems. Sometimes it becomes necessary to re-boot the computer, which restores the integrity of the original settings. This is not unlike the custom of extinguishing all the fires in the land and then relighting the sacred bonfire. Perhaps it is time to reboot the program and restore the operating system here in our own land.

As a Pagan Community we can join together in groups and we can operate as individuals. I would like to propose that just after sunset on the full moon in October, we join as a people and raise a needfire for the Nation. Let us restore the freedom and the courage that has long been the hallmark of this Nation. How sad it would be for the epitaph of America to be that our freedom was not taken by force of arms, but was meekly surrendered because we were too afraid to keep it.

The ancient needfire was kindled by friction and then fed with logs of birch, elm, hazel, holly, oak, pine, rowan, willow and yew. Torches were then lighted from the bonfire and carried to each home to relight the hearth fire. In this way the renewed spirit of the land passed into each home within the Kingdom.

I suggest replacing the nine logs with nine pieces of paper upon which the names of the trees are written. Beneath each name can then be written a desired quality. Using a metal bowl or cauldron the papers can be fed to the flame in a symbolic passing of each specific nature. These natures will then reside within the needfire. To create the needfire we can use a wooden match, which will honor the ancient custom of employing friction to ignite the needfire.

The following is a suggested list of correspondences:

Birch - Forthright
Elm - Enduring
Hazel - Wise
Holly - Tenacious
Oak - Truthful
Pine - Visionary
Rowan - Courageous
Willow - Honoring
Yew - Intuitive

The basic idea is to pass these traits into the needfire, which in turn passes them to the spirit of the land. The full moon in October precedes the presidential election, and so the spirit of the land resonates at the core of the process. Like the legendary sword Excalibur that drew King Arthur, so too is the role of the spirit of the land.

Together we can light a needfire that will pass from coast to coast. We can come together as a diverse but unified people, and renew the heart and spirit of our land and our ways as a free people. We can choose courage over fear, and we can reclaim our way of life as it was before the attack on the United States.

For the purposes of our needfire we can use two candles and a small cauldron, or a bonfire pit and two torches. The solitary person can use a small black candle to represent the illness and a larger white candle to represent renewal. Groups may wish to use two different cauldrons or fire pits. For the simplicity of communication in this article I will use the candles to illustrate the suggested method of our needfire. With a little thought this can easily be translated over to group workings with bonfires.

The black candle will represent the afflicted spirit of the land. The white candle will symbolize the renewed spirit of the land. To begin the process the black candle is named as the illness that has befallen the spirit of the land. The white candle is named the renewal of the spirit of the land. Following this the nine pieces of paper are placed together in a container that can hold fire. A small cauldron is ideal.

The black candle is now lighted and allowed to burn while words are spoken or thoughts are focused related to the troubled times. After a few moments all other lighting in the area is extinguished, and then the black candle is doused. Next a wooden match is struck and used to light the papers inside the container.

When the papers are burning, light the white candle to capture the joined essence of the indwelling spirit. From this candle you can light others to celebrate the triumph of the needfire. If you work with other people then you can have each person pass the flame from candle to candle. Anyone with a hearth can light it from the candle.

Once the needfire is passed to candles, torches, or oil-burners, then all that remains is to allow it to burn undisturbed. In closing bury any remnants and debris connected to the black candle. Take the ashes from the pieces of paper and cast them to the four winds. This symbolically spreads the blessings of the needfire.

Please consider joining in the creation of a needfire this October. Naturally you can modify what I've suggested or even create your own ritual. But it is my hope that you will lend your prayers and energy to renew the spirit of the land in whatever way calls to you.

Blessings,
Raven Grimassi

Bio: Raven Grimassi is an award-winning author of over 10 books on Wicca and Witchcraft. He has trained in both southern and northern European traditions, and has been a practitioner of the Craft for over 30 years. Raven is a popular lecturer at festivals and conventions across the country. He is currently the Directing Elder of the Arician Ways. Raven is also the co-founder and co-director of the College of the Crossroads, as well as a member of the illustrious Grey Council founded by Oberon Zell.

http://www.witchvox.com/words/words_200 ... n2004.html
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-29-2004 10:28 PM

Excellent, Joolz. I will participate in the needfire ritual this weekend.

Reading this has awakened something.....

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-29-2004 10:55 PM

I am glad, Linnea. :)

I meant to add to my post that there is a call out to do this tomorrow evening. There is no particular time, just as it works for you.

Blessings to All
Joolz
Image Anchors Aweigh!

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-29-2004 11:05 PM

Joolz, Thank you!

What a wonderful ritual! I will also create a needfire this weekend.

I have all those the trees listed on my land here. I did not recognize the Rowan so I Googled it. Turns out that I am all set, as I have a small mountain ash here too.

The Rowan tree (also known as Mountain Ash, Quicken Tree, Quick Beam, Witchwood, Wiggen, Witcher and Sorb Apple) grows throughout northern Europe (Sorbus Aucuparia) as well as in the northeast part of North America (Sorbus Americanus). They are members of the Rose family and grow to be about 50 feet tall. They can strive in poor soil and colonize easily in disturbed areas. In some parts of Europe they are very common around ancient settlements and Stone Circles, probably due to having been planted. The Rowan is noted for having lovely white flowers in May and, every third year, berries that turn bright red in winter.

Rowan: The Mother of All Trees and Plants

The Rowan tree has been considered magical for thousands of years by many different cultures. One of the earliest references to the Rowan is in the ancient Finnish creation myth about the goddess "Rauni." According to this myth, the earth was barren and devoid of all plants when she came down from heaven and took the form of a Rowan tree. After Rauni ("Rowan?") had intercourse with Ukko, the God of Thunder, the result of their union was the creation of all the plants of the earth. According to this ancient creation myth, then, all plants and trees are descended from the Rowan tree as a result of it having been struck by a mighty bolt of magical lightening.

Rowan and the Runes

The word "Rowan" is said by some to have come from the same base as the Nordic word "Rune," which means "magic, secret." Some say the Runes (a type of alphabet used by Germanic tribes for over a thousand years) were traditionally carved from sticks from the Rowan tree, with each letter of the alphabet being named for a different tree. An early name for the Rowan tree was "Luis," which is the second letter of the Rune alphabet. "Casting the Runes" is a practice similar to using tarot cards to predict the future.

Rowan as Protection

Many traditions have evolved from the belief common among many Celtic people that the Rowan tree could offer protection from evil spirits. On Beltane (the night before May Day, which in some places was called Rowan Tree Day), sprigs of Rowan were often tied with string dyed red from the Rowan berries to cows' tails and horses' halters to protect them, and sheep were made to jump through hoops made from Rowan. Crossed branches of Rowan were often placed in cowsheds and stables for the same purpose, and milking stools and pails were sometimes made of Rowan wood. Rowan trees were commonly planted near the doors of houses, or Rowan twigs placed over the door or under a bed, to ward off evil spirits. Necklaces of Rowan berries with red thread were often worn for protection by Highland women. Rowan trees was often planted in churchyards to send away evil spirits and to keep the unquiet dead from leaving their graves. In Wales, it was common for people to wear a cross carved from Rowan. Corpses prior to burial and coffins in transit to graveyards were often placed under Rowan trees to protect the souls from evil spirits.

Faeries and Witches

Although the Rowan was considered by some as protection from faeries, others say that faeries love the tree and will go out of their way to seek it out. Some even say that anyone harming a Rowan tree runs the risk of faeries seeking revenge by causing illness. In Sligo, Ireland, a legend tells of the "Forest of Dooros" where the faeries who dwelt there loved to eat Rowan berries brought over from Fairyland. One of the berries fell to the ground, and out of this grew a huge Rowan tree. It was said that eating one of this tree's berries, which tasted of sweet honey, would make a person drunk. Eating two berries would ensure that the person would live to be a hundred years old. Eating three would make the person thirty years old again, to stay that way for a hundred years. To protect their magic, the faeries asked a giant named Sharvan who lived in the forest to guard the Rowan tree, so those few who attempted to take advantage of the Rowan's magic were usually never heard of again.

Rowan trees were said to guard against the evil effects of "black" witchcraft. Berries were sometimes strung like beads and hung as a necklace around the neck of a supposed victim of sorcery. Some believed that one way to protect your soul from the devil was to touch a witch with a branch from a Rowan tree. Then, if the devil came demanding a soul, the witch would be taken instead. A cross carved from Rowan was sometimes placed above a child's cradle to protect it from bewitchment or from being stolen by faeries. These crosses were traditionally renewed each May Day. It was believed that the power of the Rowan was particularly potent if the person making the charm had never seen the tree before cutting the wood.

The spells were vain
The hag returned
To the Queen in a sorrowful mood
Crying that witches have no power
Where there is Rowan tree wood

Traditional Celtic ballad

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-29-2004 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the info on rowan wood, Mudwoman. Yes, rowan is mountain ash. I have a small branch of rowan wood that was given to me by a friend.

I am pleased to know that you will also be joining me in the needfire ritual. :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 10-30-2004 01:53 AM

Bravo, Joolz! Applause! Applause!

More! More!!
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-30-2004 07:28 AM

As above, so below.....

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-30-2004 05:07 PM

I'm not too sure what Catholicism has to do with this subject. In this particular thread, I am more interested in learning about needfires and discussing them. To be frank, I guess I am disappointed that as rarely as we have had a thread on Wicca, that it can not just have its own space. Free and clear. Does that make any sense?

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 10-30-2004 06:23 PM

I will also make my own solitary needfire. Blessings on you, Joolz. Thank you.
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-30-2004 06:23 PM

Linnea wrote: To be frank, I guess I am disappointed that as rarely as we have had a thread on Wicca, that it can not just have its own space. Free and clear. Does that make any sense?

I would vote for a stand alone Wiccan section in a skinny minute. I would love to have a place to learn more and discuss this most interesting topic. Perhaps Joolz, because of her knowledge of Wicca, and her experience as a moderator, could be persuaded to come aboard as moderator?

Just a thought.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-30-2004 06:54 PM

If Joolz has a fine, Wicca blessing, sure could use it now.

There seems to be such strife, fear and intolerance abroad in the world just now. Had wanted to also post some observations about current astrological thought, mostly mine - on vortices of energies I am feeling all around. But my eyes are tearing up, and my chin is trembling, my fists are clenched, teeth gritted, knees locked, jaw set. I find I am beset with too many things. My courage flags.

Healing, releasing, empowering needfire! A huge bonfire of empowerment is just what I am yearning for, and did not even know it until Joolz posted this message.

I am going to set a great bonfire. Gathering all that I have and not more - to burn and release! All the fallen twigs and pieces, all the herbs I can gather from the hedges, all the pieces of wood I can find. I am going to write empowerments on all the brightly colored papers .....

Bring-it-on!

What time shall we set? Shall we do this together?

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 10-30-2004 07:20 PM

I understand, Linnea, and I concur.

I will also be happy to do my part, but am sadly without resources -- no special wood, no black candle, no screen for my fireplace, and fear of smoke hurting my birds. But I would be happy to step out on the deck and do a little something in a large ashtray. Suggestions?
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-30-2004 08:18 PM

{{{LINN}}}

Linn, I am sending you some calming energy. These are very trying times indeed, and we need each other right now, more than we have ever needed each other before.

Shall we do this at 9PM here on the left coast? That would be midnight on thin the East. It would also give time for all interested participants to gather materials.
Last edited by mudwoman on 10-30-2004 08:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-30-2004 08:54 PM

{{{Linn}}} This is the most empowering chant/song/blessing I could think of for right now. It's by Starhawk and the Reclaiming Collective. I wish I could sing it for you. The first time I ever heard it sung was by a black woman named Katrina way out in the woods in the mountains of West Virginia around a huge bonfire, so think of that and sing it in your own way, my friend.

Rise With the Fire

And we can rise with the fire of freedom!
Truth is the fire that burns our chains.
And we can stop the fire of destruction,
Healing is the fire running through our veins.

I'll lead here in cyberspace... just listen and you'll hear me... sing it with your heart and you're there. Love you all...
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-30-2004 09:02 PM

Nine PM sounds good to me. If you can't be with us then, please realize that TIME is really a human construct and that your energy can join with ours outside the bounds of time and space, so just do this when it works for you.

Iris, m'dear... the candles, the wood, and the fire are but tools meant to help focus the mind on the intent. The INTENT and the projection of your will are what is most important in any undertaking such as this. If you would like to do something with fire on your deck, just take pieces of paper and write the words on them as suggested. Then just visualize the rest, and do this part (with the pieces of paper) physically. You have an artist's mind so I know you can visualize. That's all that's needed here. The visualization and the projection of energy is the important part. Just send it out into the cosmos where it will blend with ours and join the whole.

Thank you wonderful women for your responses here. I will be with you at 9 PM (and so will Corvid).

Blessings and Love...
Joolz
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Alt News Blog”