Surfs up!!!!

For 20 years now I've had a dream of sailing my own boat off into the sunset.

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Surfs up!!!!

Post by megman » 04-19-2006 10:10 PM

The Mexican Pipeline Puerto Escondido Oaxaca MX

THE SURF:

Puerto Escondido (Playa Zicatela): This is an expert wave. Period. It is not a surf spot, but a proving grounds for any surfer looking to take their surfing to the next level. The South Swell season is April-October, when S and SW ground swells in the 6-15ft range (backs) slam this beach. The wave is an extremely hollow tube, a beachbreak version of Pipeline/Backdoor only with multiple peaks and better opportunity for picking off waves. Wipeouts can be punishing. (Make sure you renew your health insurance before you go down here.) Winds: offshore in the morning, and the wave is surfable until about noon when the onshores generally come on and everybody either goes to lunch, bed, Miguel (to get their board repaired), or to the hospital for that matter. There's little surf opportunity in the area for beginners and intermediates. If you're not ready for Puerto consider a trip to Guerrero a little further north, or Cabo San Lucas on the Baja Peninsula.:cool:

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 04-19-2006 10:54 PM

Megman, that's a good shot. I've heard about Palya Zicatela; many compare it to Pipeline, but without as much reef coral. It's slightly safer than Pipeline, but that's like saying an SUV wreck is slightly safer than a station wagon wreck. :eek: :D

In the meantime, I'll put in a call to Laird Hamilton. He's the guy who rode this wave at Teahupo'o (pronounced "CHO-poo") off Tahiti. See the movie 'Step Into Liquid' for more. :)

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-19-2006 11:51 PM

Ya Spike, Playa Zicatela IS the Mexpipe. The rip here is just incredible also. They tell everyone "Do not swim here!" So, what do they do??

They pull at least one gringo out every season, if they don't become lunch for the Hammerhead sharks first:eek:

Waves right now are hitting the 10' range. This is the same beach where the held the surfing portion of the X Games on ESPN last Aug 1-2. :cool:

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 04-19-2006 11:58 PM

X-Games: that's where I saw it! Thanks for reminding me. :)

I might try that on a jet-ski, but it's a little late in life to be trying that kinda set on a surfboard. I could see why at least one dumbass a year gets killed there. This ain't a 'Gidget' movie, howlie! :eek: :D

And, for those interested in the history and current state of big-wave surfing, check out 'Riding Giants'. It'll have you gripping your armchair. :cool:

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-20-2006 12:12 AM

As for me, I'm still working on a boogie board at Playa Carrazilillo.:D

I may be part Mohawk but I'm not that nuts LOL:cool:

Return to “Lost Harbour & Dry Dock”