FF Beware!

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

FF Beware!

Post by SquidInk » 08-20-2012 01:33 PM

Hotel rooms are essentially public spaces

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... controller
At the base of every Onity lock is a small barrel-type DC power socket (just like on your old-school Nokia phone). This socket is used to charge up the lock’s battery, and to program the lock with a the hotel’s “sitecode” — a 32-bit key that identifies the hotel. By plugging an Arduino microcontroller into the DC socket, Brocious found that he could simply read this 32-bit key out of the lock’s memory. No authentication is required — and the key is stored in the same memory location on every Onity lock.

[...]

The best bit: By playing this 32-bit code back to the lock… it opens. According to Brocious, it takes just 200 milliseconds to read the sitecode and open the lock. “I plug it in, power it up, and the lock opens,” Brocious says. His current implementation doesn’t work with every lock, and he doesn’t intend to take his work any further, but his slides and research paper make it very clear that Onity locks, rather ironically, lack even the most basic security.

That is how he justifies his public disclosure of the vulnerability: If security agencies and private militias already have access to millions of hotel rooms, then this is Brocious’s way of forcing Onity to clean up its act. By informing the public, it also means that we can seek out other methods of securing our rooms — such as chain- or dead-locks on the inside of the room.
This is so dead simple, that it's difficult to believe. Either this lock manufacturer is under the influence of NSA/CIA/Homeland Security, or they appear to be guilty of gross negligence in the name of the business model.

More here: http://demoseen.com/bhpaper.html

Response from the lock company: http://daeken.com/onitys-plan-to-mitiga ... -lock-hack
Last edited by SquidInk on 08-20-2012 01:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 01:48 PM

Might be a good business opportunity for an enterprising locksmith to design and or replace those exploitable locks.

But don't blame the arduino or the hacker. He at least let the world in on this which is more than I would say about the hotels if they knew about their locks weaknesses. Many businesses rely on security thru obscurity.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 01:56 PM

At the base of every Onity lock is a small barrel-type DC power socket (just like on your old-school Nokia phone). This socket is used to charge up the lock’s battery, and to program the lock with a the hotel’s “sitecode”
Someone could design a way to secure that hole..perhaps with a keyed lock...or better, seal that hole and make them have to be removed to be serviced..like in the old days. I bet hotels moved to these locks, not because they were more secure, but because the saved them money. It's ALWAYS they money.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 02:03 PM

I followed a link and see Onity is implementing my idea already..but not really sealing the hole, just using a Torx screw to block access. This is lame ..like no thief can get Torx bits anywhere. :rolleyes:
Onity is going to implement a two tiered approach. The first approach will include providing a mechanical cap, free of charge, to our customers, who have the Onity HT series locks. This mechanical cap will be inserted into the portable programmer plug of the HT series locks. With the existing battery cover in place the mechanical cap will not be removable without partial disassembly of the lock. This will prevent a device emulating a portable programmer from hacking the lock. To further enhance the security of this fix, we will also supply a security TORX screw with each mechanical cap to further secure the battery cover in the lock.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-20-2012 02:17 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: Might be a good business opportunity for an enterprising locksmith to design and or replace those exploitable locks.

But don't blame the arduino or the hacker. He at least let the world in on this which is more than I would say about the hotels if they knew about their locks weaknesses. Many businesses rely on security thru obscurity.
Yep. The 'hacker' did a good thing. I find it hard to believe a 'global leader' in the commercial lock industry didn't realize that their locks could be thwarted in 200ms by a kid with radioshack parts.

Of course, in the future if a murder case is solved by discovering that the crime was committed using a similar technique, 'Onity' remains beyond the grasp of criminal courts.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-20-2012 02:19 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I followed a link and see Onity is implementing my idea already..but not really sealing the hole, just using a Torx screw to block access. This is lame ..like no thief can get Torx bits anywhere. :rolleyes:
http://www.amazon.com/SE-7542ST-6-Piece ... words=torx

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 02:31 PM

Well, lets at least hope they are using Torx security bits:

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-SCR ... x+security

Return to “Conspiracies/Black Ops”