Car tracking device could lower insurance premiums, insuran

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Car tracking device could lower insurance premiums, insuran

Post by Raggedyann » 06-06-2013 09:04 PM

Would you give up a little of your privacy if it meant you could save money on your car insurance premiums? That's the proposition from two Canadian insurance companies that have adopted something known as vehicle telematics.

The technology consists of a device that attaches to the diagnostics port in your car and measures everything from acceleration, speed and braking to the time you're behind the wheel.

It's part of a trend called usage-based insurance.

"Usage-based insurance is the ultimate in rating fairness because it essentially lets the driver control their own insurance rate through their driving behaviour," said Donna Harpauer, the minister responsible for the provincial insurance agency in Saskatchewan, which is launching a pilot program with the devices aimed at motorcycle riders.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... tzman.html

I think these guys picked a bad day to propose this. What with the U.S. spying on the press, and now the leak about spying on every citizen, as well as the leak about Lord Harper's in house million dollar secret fund, what's left?

The biggest joke is that all the pundits are so shocked about all of this. What is shocking and disgusting is that they are acting so shocked.

For a party that is so against the Gov being in your face, the Republicans sure have been quick to praise Obama for enhancing "the in your face Patriot Act".

Oh, and the Bilderberg's are meeting right now. Funny, when the public decides to have a "meeting" to protest the fall out of their meetings, the little people get tasered, bludgeoned, shot with rubber bullets, gassed and arrested.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 06-06-2013 09:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-06-2013 09:18 PM

Oh RA you always know the right things to say :D

I love the "could" part of the headline. Are you willing to give up your privacy for a possibility of $20 off your insurance rate? Take a spin of the wheel, literally, why not, it will come up black sometimes, right?

However, all rental cars have this and more. They will ticket you or even arrest you if you drive dangerously in their cars. All commercial trucks have this, real-time GPS tracking and cellular reporting. OnStar does it of course in many consumer cars.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-07-2013 01:15 AM

Fan wrote: Oh RA you always know the right things to say :D

I love the "could" part of the headline. Are you willing to give up your privacy for a possibility of off your insurance rate? Take a spin of the wheel, literally, why not, it will come up black sometimes, right?

However, all rental cars have this and more. They will ticket you or even arrest you if you drive dangerously in their cars. All commercial trucks have this, real-time GPS tracking and cellular reporting. OnStar does it of course in many consumer cars.

Things are implemented so insidiously aren't they? Then they have the gall to introduce these things to us like they are something new.

I have a sticker on my car that says "This vehicle is police traceable". This bothered me for quite some time. But as I have to drive 100 miles of wilderness hwy, that is laced with steep embankments, to get to the city, and I don't usually rob banks, I thought this is probably a safe thing for me. Although this hwy does not have cell phone service, so I don't know how traceable I would be.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-07-2013 01:38 AM

Raggedyann wrote: Although this hwy does not have cell phone service, so I don't know how traceable I would be.

Indeed, and this is what is really insidious, they claim they can track us even when they cannot.

I watched the "Contract Killers" movie last night and this hit home.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-07-2013 01:52 AM

Fan wrote: I watched the "Contract Killers" movie last night and this hit home.

I don't think I've seen this movie. Will have to look it up.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-07-2013 01:58 AM

Raggedyann wrote: I don't think I've seen this movie. Will have to look it up.

If you are trying to justify a paranoid delusion about the CIA hunting you, as I am, then i would recommend it.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-07-2013 07:37 AM

We have the same commercials running here from Progressive Insurance. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before otehrs catch on.

And then, there is the issues associated with EZ-Pass, cell phones as people have noted, not to mention new cars already being equipped with factory-installed tracking devices.

Return to “Conspiracies/Black Ops”