No More Coals to Newcastle

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-25-2006 11:07 AM

Solar and wind generators - have spoken about these before. They provide energy and solar works even on cloudy days - not as well as other days, but it still works.

Like it or not we need better and newer nuke plants for energy. Last one built is over 30 yrs old now...

I've also ranted on making auto industry provide better MPG cars...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-21-2006 11:16 PM

LINK
Great links here on alternative power.

Nevada On-Track to Quadruple Its Geothermal Power, Over 1000 MW to Be On-Line, New Report Concludes

WASHINGTON, Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new report from the Geothermal Energy Association (GEA) concludes that Nevada is now on-track to be producing over 1000 MW of geothermal power -- quadrupling its current geothermal output -- over the next 3 to 5 years. This level of geothermal production would meet roughly 25% of the state's total power needs.

"A combination of federal and state policies have propelled substantial new geothermal power development in Nevada," according to Dan Fleischmann, author of this new report, entitled "Geothermal Resource Development in Nevada -- 2006." His analysis concludes that this dramatic success is due to four major factors: (1) the state's Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS); (2) the extension of the federal production tax credit (PTC) to include geothermal energy; (3) the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) efforts to reduce its leasing backlog; and (4) the Department of Energy's (DOE) support for cost- shared drilling, technical assistance, and the work of the Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy at the University of Nevada Reno.

The report identifies up to 29 new geothermal power projects now under development in Nevada. The report finds that new power plants would produce as much as 853 MW. When completed, these new plants will quadruple the existing 276.4 MW capacity from Nevada's currently operating 15 power plants. With over 1100 MW, Nevada would be generating more power than most of the 25 countries producing geothermal energy today. Only the US and the Philippines produce more.

In addition to geothermal power, the report also identifies new geothermal space and district heating projects in Elko, Fernley, and Reno and two new alternative fuels projects using geothermal energy. A bio-diesel plant is slated to commence operation in the first quarter of 2007 in Wabuska using geothermal resources for both power and heat. Also drilling for the so-called "Gerlach Green Energy Project" recently began at Gerlach. Developers say this geothermal-ethanol project may create up to 250 Nevadan jobs.

The GEA report is based upon interviews with over 60 leading experts in the geothermal field in the United States, more than 40 of whom have worked specifically with geothermal energy in Nevada. State and federal officials, researchers, utilities, industry representatives, land developers, and clean energy advocates were among the wide range of individuals interviewed.

This report complements those issued earlier this year examining geothermal resources in Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and Idaho. The report is available to download without charge from the GEA website at http://www.geo-energy.org/publications/reports.asp.

For More Information Contact:

Dan Fleischmann, 202-454-5241

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 12-22-2006 08:42 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Solar and wind generators - have spoken about these before. They provide energy and solar works even on cloudy days - not as well as other days, but it still works.

Like it or not we need better and newer nuke plants for energy. Last one built is over 30 yrs old now...

I've also ranted on making auto industry provide better MPG cars...

I plan to build my own wind generator this coming Spring. Not a lot to them. Had a tape purchased from someone who did his small house, including a small fridge (heavily re-insulated) and get's all his power from four small solar panels and one homemade wind generator.

I kept getting put-back about doing it as the kits were and are expensive. I start with a 55amp car alternator and go from there. Inverters are cheap these days so that's one plus to minimize the costs to build the system. I now have the wood working tools to make enclosures and the air-prop.

Clatu

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-30-2006 10:36 PM

EPA backs production of hydrogen-powered cars
From the Associated Press
December 23, 2006

The Environmental Protection Agency has cleared the way for major automakers to produce hydrogen-powered fuel-cell cars to meet zero-emission vehicle requirements in California and 10 other states, officials said.

The EPA approved regulation amendments adopted by the California Air Resources Board in 2003 that allow manufacturers to produce fuel cells as an alternative to the battery-powered cars and light trucks previously required by the state.

ADVERTISEMENT

California regulations call for 2% of the six biggest automakers' new cars and trucks to be zero-emission vehicles, 2% to be gasoline-electric hybrids and 6% to be super-low-polluting gasoline vehicles known as PZEVs.

The 2% requirement for fuel-cell or battery-powered vehicles starts in 2009 with a ramp-up period requiring the industry to market at least 2,500 nationwide in the first three years.

LINK

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 12-31-2006 11:40 AM

I guess this is a good thing, The only thing I wonder about is the cost. Development of these vehicles will naturally raise the price of all vehicles and for many people this will be a real problem. The repair costs of this type vehicle may also be a problem.

I don't have answers, only questions.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Return to “Energy Policy”