No More Coals to Newcastle

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

No More Coals to Newcastle

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2006 12:21 PM

This is just a wonderful, hopeful and sane article on renewable energy and environmental strategies - that should give you a lift.

Some days it seems an impossible task to envision a journey into the 21st Century which is not dominated by the 'Old World Order' (global elites/corporations) - and the phrase 'New World Order' has us quaking inside and bewildered.

Some of the ideas in the following article, show a way around a dark vision of the future, with positive action that can be taken by communities, regions, and nations toward sustainability, working with the environment - not wasting energy on negatives and fear - but moving forward in co-operation and sanity.

Information/knowledge is power.

Some excerpts from article:

UK Firm Pioneers Biodiesel That Grows on Trees
by Candida Jones for D1 Oils

The British have a saying, “taking coals to Newcastle”, that Americans might render as “taking steel to Pittsburgh”. Newcastle, one of the centres of Britain’s industrial revolution, was for hundreds of years the main source of coal for London. So taking coal to the city was the epitome of a pointless activity. Now, however, D1 Oils, a UK company based in Newcastle, has come up with a new and environmentally sound spin on the old adage. Rather than dealing in the kind of carbon-rich products that Newcastle’s economy depended on for so many years (and left its countryside scarred and its towns polluted), D1 will be importing to the UK vegetable oil from some of the poorest countries in the world for refining into biodiesel.

Biodiesel is a renewable liquid fuel extracted from biological raw material and is an excellent low-carbon substitute for oil in the transport sector. The vegetable oil which D1 will import will be derived mainly from the jatropha tree, which can grow in some of the least hospitable soils in Africa and Asia, bringing work and foreign currency to those who grow and refine the energy crop, and bringing clean fuel alternatives to both the developed and developing world. In short, the cultivation of energy crops may be just what the developing world needs if it is to avoid taking the same polluted path to industrialization that Newcastle itself embarked upon over 200 years ago.

Jatropha – the fuel of the future

D1 is focusing its efforts on extracting oil from the seeds of the jatropha tree, which, once processed, has similar physical and chemical properties and a similar energy value to normal fossil diesel, and which can be blended with conventional diesel. Jatropha seeds have an oil yield of up to 40%, and produce profitable byproducts such as glycerine for cosmetics and seed cake for fertilizer and animal feed. Jatropha can be grown almost anywhere but does especially well in West Africa, Southern Africa and India. It grows quickly, and is hardy and drought-tolerant. Jatropha establishes itself easily even in arid and waste land where other crops would perish, and such land is often abundant in the poorest areas of the developing world. Jatropha can even be grown on semi-desert using waste water, making it a useful tool in the prevention of desertification. Since planting, growing and refining jatropha seeds requires manpower, its cultivation would generate large numbers of agricultural jobs in regions where there is often widespread poverty. D1 does not aim simply to cultivate the seeds for the benefit of foreign markets; it has developed a modular transportable refinery for producing biodiesel locally from various feedstocks. The refinery produces minimal emissions, uses virtually no water and can be powered in remote locations by its own biodiesel. Indeed, using biodiesel in transport and in power generation will allow the developing world to expand its economy and industry without this growth being at the expense of its environment.

But importing biodiesel from the jatropha tree would also help Europe. It would provide a crucial fillip to the EU’s biofuels policy while assisting with the realisation of clean-air legislation, climate change reduction and security of supply.

[excerpt]

The concept of using biodiesel may seem a new one, but it is not. Rudolph Diesel’s first engine ran on peanut oil and now, a century later, it seems we are finally learning that natural oils are better for our health, our environment and ultimately our economy than fossil alternatives. The planting of trees in the developing world can not only provide millions of man hours of jobs, it can also help reclaim marginal and waste land, reduce poverty, provide “carbon sinks” that soak up green house gases and assist the world’s poorest agricultural sectors. Non-food energy crops in the developing world can be grown economically because of the hotter, drier climate, are not subject to EU tariffs and could feed EU’s need for biodiesel and the developing world’s need for cleaner transport fuel. With a view to continuing D1’s march towards a cleaner future, D1 Oils is planning a stock market floatation in London this autumn to expand its current operations. If acorns can produce huge oak trees then there seems little reason why jatropha seeds can’t help produce the energy revolution the world so desperately needs.

more at this link

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 10-23-2006 01:17 PM

Biodiesel fuel seems to be getting around countries in experimentation. Recently I watched a Discovery Channel show about a College guy producing his own Biodiesel fuel from used deep frying oils and lard from restaurants.
I'm wondering if such alternatives to crude oil such as methanol and oils of agricultural products can be produced in quantities acceptable to demand?

Solar, Wind and Water (tidal action) devices to drive generators, or produce direct current are the smartest way to go, especially for the home application. The Norwegians are well advanced in producing a large percentage of their household current from Wind Generators.

Clatu

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-23-2006 03:47 PM

Now if we could stop importing hemp from Canada and grow our own, WE could use hemp oil in the same kind of process... plus stop cutting down so many trees for newsprint, books, etc. Products made from hemp last longer, are tough as nails, and cleaner to use and process. But our California Governor was too afraid to sign the bill into Law... so we're still importing our hemp from Canada, and paying all the extras. PLUS, no seeds for alternate energy.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 10-23-2006 05:11 PM

and the phrase 'New World Order'
... No, I will not hear of it, do you hear me ! (snickering ;) ) I must insist, the phrase and order shall be known as: ONE WORLD -- the ONE WORLD ORDER! Failing that, I swear, I'll wish and prey, err I mean pray, and make collective hocus pocus and ORDER up a quantumplative solution to come along - and we'll split her in two .. (guess what we'll call these two halves? snickering ...) This is ONE planet, ONE world, and there "WILL" be ORDER here ... an ORDER OF ONE .. a ONE WORLD ORDER ... ruled as ONE ... (as you will HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE - just look and you can see what she is up to RIGHT NOW!!!) I swear, it WILL BE, as I've seen it before already!

All this wishful thinking of alternative solutions, I'm sorry to say, is all too late now. Unfortunately, I can almost guarantee you that whatever you humans try to do NOW, even if you started today, it will all be too little to late. It's too late! There is only one possible "out" for ya all at this point, which MUST be done before next fall, but the odds that these humans would ever surrender FULLY and IMMEDIATELY to nature here on earth IS very highly unlikely! Thus, I can tell you for almost certainty, like 99.9999999999999% likely, there will be a GREAT solution imposed here upon this planet next fall ... and a great many of you all here on earth will be going bye bye ... Sorry, but I'm just a messenger here now - ha .. ... I say this NOW so that later, after all is said and done, you will at least be able to believe me next when I tell you what will happen in 2011 ... ... ... It has all happened before .. it's all happening again ... Wait, you'll see ... I remember - I know. It's too late.

Really, I'm sorry to be the bearer of this terribly upsetting and probably depressing news. I really wish we could do something here for ya all, but our little green and soiled hands are tied here on this matter of necessity ...

Say, since it really doesn't matter any more now I guess, since all the evidence of any prime directive violation I may commit here now will be eventually erased either way, what would it be worth to you humans here to have the plans and a few working models for a Funnihilator®? Essentially, it's a device that basically taps that hole at the bottom of a black hole (well, not really BOTTOM but you get the idea) and can suck out an endless supply of unlimited free recycled energy (or rather, it's squirts out from the hole) ... It is 'positively' a 100% safe technology. But of course if you flip it over and reverse the polarity, well .. ha, then it becomes 100% unsafe, but that's easy enough to avoid doing, right? .. It would be a perfect solution for all your troubles here on earth... Just imagine, unlimited free power for all !!! Hey, you could really stick it to the oil man with something like that, eh? (still snickering) ... Of course, we don't have any free trade agreements with Earth, so you're gonna have to keep such a transaction hush hush ... ... oh what the heck, make us a decent and beneficial offer, and we'll also beam down a few working units each for ALL your nations here on earth so all will feel equally privileged !!! (now I'm really snickering) ... Hey, make us an offer we can't refuse, okay? (btw, we prefer Canadians - :D )
Last edited by Divinorumus on 10-23-2006 05:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-23-2006 07:44 PM

Does anyone ELSE wonder how many Divs (and what they look like) it takes to write, when he gets like that?

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 10-23-2006 07:55 PM

a split personality or maybe more?

:D

Div... sorry, but you're so out there.... you are definately an intelligent being and i do enjoy reading the posts you post :)

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 10-23-2006 08:45 PM

It's Sally.............:D :D :D
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 10-24-2006 07:08 AM

You see the problem in all of this don't you? Once you discover that ultimate solution for all of your greedy hungry needy energy requirements here, it's all over for all of you. You know that, right? kaboom! gone! poof! Maybe it was intended for energy to be difficult and expensive for the earthers to obtain, for these kinds of critters at this stage of development, eh? There's no denying it, the humans here have become a horribly intrusive and invasive species here upon this planet. They are unwelcome here now, spare the few that are because they are no longer a threat to her. You don't need to believe me .. she'll prove it .. seriously, I've seen all this all happen before, and I know this now because it is all happening now as previously seen before so I see it coming true now ... Wait, you'll see ... it's gonna get really bad .. sorry, just being honest here .. Your problem isn't energy (or a lack of it) here upon this planet (in fact, your lack of understanding and access to it is what has saved you all so far) ... The problem is 'these' humans! There's something seriously wrong with them, and more so in some. May your omnipotent spooks help you all, if someone comes along and shows YOUR world how to build that free energy thang I mentioned .. Anyone wants me to prove it? ha , go get paper and pen and I'll tell you all how to make one and we'll see who has the last laugh. (of course I will, I've already built mine - ha .. oh, btw, someone remind me to change the filter on the thing this weekend - it's important because if I forget then OOOPS! ha) Really, the day you all discover that final alternate energy solution, that will be the day right before you are all gone .. And anyhow, don't you all have enough energy already to destroy yourselves more than once already.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-24-2006 10:08 AM

Div - once again you hijacked a good thread. Getting tiresome. This was a message for a way forward. Your posts sound as though they belong in the paranormal thread.

This is thread stalking and propaganda, more than anything else. When you are in a fact based thread, please post accordingly. I would rather discuss the Jatropha tree than view the interior workings of your mind and philosophy in this thread.

Quit that. I know you are full of yourself, but consider this a proper warning. This forum is not your pulpit.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 10-24-2006 12:07 PM

Hemp from Canada.. I'll have to look it up. Sounds like used cattle feed;)

I suppose Natural gas might also be an alternative but think it only lessens the amount of pollutants produced through its burn, not eliminate?
Also wondering what type of energy elements produce biodiesel type fuels and in what amount in total?

Clatu

earthist
Pirate

Post by earthist » 10-24-2006 01:43 PM

Biofuels sound like a good idea, yes, indeed! However, everything has two sides, and regrettably, this will bear watching.

Look to Brazil, where biofuels are in heavy use already. So far, so good! Hooray! But what are the impacts on the rainforest? As we reduce the carbon we emit, we are also reducing the carbon-sink which used to absorb it. What's the balance? In America, we are using mostly corn to produce E-85 biofuel, and the efforts are increasing fairly rapidly. There's money to be made here, though, and some are complaining that the price of food is going to rise because of this. Currently, the gov't is subsidizing production -- a good thing, probably. But Archer-Daniels-Midland is getting richer and richer because of it, too, and expect someone to bioengineer and patent the hybrid corn used to produce it. How will that affect the food corn?

Without doing an extensive survey, I hear that E-85 is cheaper than gasoline in Iowa and some parts of Illinois, but the first station to sell it here is actually priced higher than gasoline by about .03 per gallon -- even with the gov't subsidies. Why?

Anyway, to repeat myself, I think it's a good thing in principle. This is going to be an easy bandwagon to get excited over, but I hope we keep eyes open rather than leaping without the look, as it were. Here's a pretty good report on the situation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01440.html

Here are some excerpts:
About a third of the fuel Brazilians use in their vehicles is ethanol, known in Brazil as "alcohol." That compares with 3 percent in the United States. All gasoline sold in Brazil contains at least 26 percent ethanol, but motorists driving flexible-fuel cars have the option of filling up with pure ethanol, or E100, which currently is selling for about half the price of the blend.

Use of pure ethanol will rise sharply as carmakers in Brazil such as General Motors and Volkswagen make more flexible-fuel cars. Half the new vehicles sold this year will be able to use either pure ethanol or the blend, according to the Sao Paulo Sugar Cane Industry Union.
Most U.S.-produced ethanol is now made from ground corn in a process that has been faulted as inefficient. Corn yields less sugar per acre than sugar cane, and the refining uses substantial amounts of energy. To keep ethanol competitive with gasoline, major refiners such as Archer Daniels Midland Co. have relied since the 1970s on a tax subsidy, now 51 cents a gallon.
The United States imposes a stiff tariff on imported ethanol. But over the past 12 months, 160 million gallons of the Brazilian product still entered the country. The U.S. agribusiness giant Cargill Inc., the third-largest U.S. ethanol refiner, announced plans last year to refine Brazilian ethanol in El Salvador and export it to the United States duty-free under provisions of the Caribbean Basin Initiative.
Any time you get something for nothing, it means that someone, somewhere, got nothing for something.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 10-24-2006 10:45 PM

Quit that. I know you are full of yourself, but consider this a proper warning. This forum is not your pulpit.
Sorry, I was just trying to help warn all of you here that any further attempt to empower yourselves here on earth in the way you are is going to be met with doom .. natural doom ... sorry ... I will leave now ... hey, more POWER to you all ... good luck humans ... bye, ur on your own now .. I can see you have things well under control here and have no further need to 'alternative' ideas and related concerns .. sorry if you feel I am no longer on your side(s) ... bye .. and again, good luck you all .. ur gonna need it next year .. hugs and kisses .. love you all .. bye .. click!

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 10-25-2006 12:03 AM

Click.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-25-2006 09:51 AM

Div - I think your ideas and alternate views are great. Maybe you could initiate topics and threads to discuss them. Probably in the paranormal or philosophy threads. I would read and post in these threads.

There is a bit of a distinction here. Don't 'throw the baby out with the bath' - and all that.

:cool:

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 10-25-2006 10:28 AM

Solar powered bicycles -- that's the ticket. Eliminate plasticized containers and petroleum based auto fuels.

Make the rich Oil Companies invest say 30% of their revenues in science, specifically relating to Patching or Repairing the hole in our atmosphere.

Clatu

Return to “Energy Policy”