Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Political will shifts to try to halt global warming

Post by Linnea » 05-08-2007 09:25 PM

This is 'warming' news:

By DAVID KIBBE
TIMES BOSTON BUREAU
May 08, 2007

BOSTON — Gov. Deval Patrick is requiring developers of large projects — such as shopping malls and apartment complexes — to estimate their greenhouse gas emissions before they can build.

The Massachusetts Senate convened a legislative committee on global warming, Boston officials pledge to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent by 2050, and hybrid cars now have preferred parking at Logan International Airport.

Global warming, once thought to be a form of political suicide, is hot — there is no other way to put it. It is an A-list topic in the presidential election, in Congress and in a growing number of state capitols around the country.

The issue has been in the public arena at least since 1988, when a congressional hearing truly launched the debate over whether global warming is a man-made or natural phenomenon. Over the years, a growing number of scientists — it is now often called a consensus — have determined that pollution is affecting the climate.

So why is government finally acting on it?

For one thing, voters now clearly care.

A recent Zogby International poll found that half of Americans who voted in last fall's congressional election said their concerns about global warming made a difference in selecting a candidate.

The percentage was even higher among voters under 30 years old, with 58 percent saying they were concerned.

In an analysis of the results, pollster John Zogby said the primary issue was Iraq. But Zogby wrote that global warming was a "sleeper issue that may have snuck up on politicians in close races."

"Looking ahead," he wrote, "politicians in both parties ignore this at their peril."

<snip>

Here's Ahnold's take on it:

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger dismissed critics after his state became the first in the nation to impose caps on greenhouse gases last fall.

"If you are against taking action on greenhouse gases and carbon emissions, your political base will melt away as surely as the polar ice caps, I can guarantee that," Schwarzenegger said in a recent speech. "You will become a political penguin on a smaller and smaller ice floe that is drifting out to sea. Goodbye, my little friend. That is what is going to happen."

article here:
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... /705080336

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 05-08-2007 09:57 PM

"You will become a political penguin on a smaller and smaller ice floe that is drifting out to sea. Goodbye, my little friend. That is what is going to happen."
That's pretty good. Of course I'd like to see all politicians and any freaking others that think they should be or are in charge of us and think they have any freaking authority over others to be drowned at sea too, so lets not forget and exclude that freaking Arnold and all them other freaking wannabe dictators over us and others too from that freaking bye bye manifest. Lets march all them wicked wannabe masters into the seas. :D

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 05-08-2007 10:22 PM

Bit of an anarchist, aren't you, Div? :D
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 05-08-2007 10:42 PM

How do get anarchist out of what I want: Real Freedom

What are you afraid of? You'll never be able to put folks like me on a leash --- Not without risking loss of hand, arm, or life trying to do so! Screw ALL dictators !

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 05-08-2007 11:13 PM

Did you not notice the smiley face?

I had written four paragraphs in responce to you before erasing it all. I'm not going to be suckered into another pointless, and useless, debate with you ... at least not untill you can get, and keep, your story consistant.

However, I will say this; You are not free.
Example; the "prime directive" you keep mentioning.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-08-2007 11:20 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote:

I will say this; You are not free.

Jon-Marcus, can't someone be 'free' if they don't buy into all the crap thrust upon us by the PTB? In other words, humans probably have never been free physically, but those who rise above the political/corporate crap of the world are probably as free as anyone can get.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 05-08-2007 11:26 PM

However, I will say this; You are not free.
I certainly can. No man or other thing can control me, as I am free to do as I please and/or come and go as I please. You just do not yet really know who or what I really am yet. And, I certainly can violate the prime directive if "I" so choose, of course I would also have to accept the consequences for doing so . . . but I can and I have done so before, and I'm sure I will again some day ... but only if I find it worth it!
Last edited by Divinorumus on 05-08-2007 11:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Energy Policy”