GM's Car Of The Future

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

GM's Car Of The Future

Post by Linnea » 03-24-2010 05:10 AM

...Remember the Segway?

From Forbes - Mar 24th, 2010
Just five feet long and weighing about 900 pounds, EN-V is a two-seater that runs on electricity. Don't worry about speeding tickets: EN-V's top speed is 25 miles per hour. But at least you'll be moving instead of sitting in traffic.

EN-V's global positioning system (GPS), combined with vehicle-to-vehicle communications, allows it to automatically choose the fastest route, based on real-time traffic information. That could reduce congestion in cities like Shanghai (a target market for this kind of vehicle) where GM says the average traffic speed is 10 mph.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/23/genera ... popstories

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-24-2010 10:04 PM

Can't imagine these types of vehicles on the highways and byways of the US or Canada, for instance. Can you?

:p

What's up? Boring?

Heh. I can remember when many in the Art Bell audience were cheering on the Segway. But then, many of us thought it was cool when the guy in LA attached helium balloons to his lawn chair and went airborne over the city...

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-24-2010 10:21 PM

I am trying to invision that thing on I-5 at the 520 merge, or worse yet 167. Someone (in a current compact) got themselves killed last night running into (and under...gulp) a parked semi on 167. These things, most trucks would just scoop up on their bug screen and keep on going.:D :D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-24-2010 10:31 PM

Yah! Not a good move for the highways. Even in the city streets, well... those are challenging as well. And then, mixing them in with pedestrians...

...you get the picture.

Seems they would have limited functionality here - and doesn't seem like you could stow much 'stuff' in them either.

;)

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-24-2010 10:39 PM

Large purses are very "in" right now. It would be nice to just pack your car in your purse. Who needs to worry about parking?:D

I think GM will do much better with the Volt.
http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/open/def ... lectric.do

Although if enough people buy these (the Volt) the archaic grid system in this country is not going to be a match. But that could make for great job growth if we had to rebuild the grid.;)
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-24-2010 11:05 PM

Hey, yes. I have been following the news about the Chevy Volt and other innovative vehicles as well. Seems we will need that new energy grid sooner rather than later - and that is just what we need to be investing in now for a brighter future.

Also like the Ford Transit Connect (electric version) for urban delivery vehicles, etc...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-24-2010 11:19 PM

I was down at the Ford dealership last week for an oil change and a tuneup and they had 4 of those Transit Connects (gas version) on the lot. I guess they have been using them in Europe for a few years with great success, They are great for delivering on some of Europe's older, more narrow streets. Do you know they are manufactured in Turkey? They have to be transported through the Panama Canal to get here to the West Coast. Still pretty reasonable. The most expensive one was $21K.

Return to “Energy Policy”