Solar power

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-09-2011 04:28 PM

I read that this guy spent $200 and gets more energy FOR FREE than he could ever imagine from the power grid!

http://homemade-energy.com/vigilant.php

What do you guys think??

Solar power seems good but HOW MUCH DOES IT STORE?? (will your power last ALL NIGHT and on CLOUDY DAYS??)

I wonder what the amps are with Solar power?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2011 04:58 PM

Dude111 wrote: I read that this guy spent 0 and gets more energy FOR FREE than he could ever imagine from the power grid!

http://homemade-energy.com/vigilant.php

What do you guys think??

Solar power seems good but HOW MUCH DOES IT STORE?? (will your power last ALL NIGHT and on CLOUDY DAYS??)

I wonder what the amps are with Solar power?

I have a feeling that site is a bit spammy... however, solar energy does of course work quite well, but you are not going to get a setup for $200 or even 10 times that.

The energy is stored in batteries, so you have power at night. You don't need to change much in your wiring, you plug in stuff as normal, it just runs from batteries.

Many people can put energy back into the power grid, getting paid by the electrical companies instead of having to pay them!

bobbo
Banned

don't fight the future

Post by bobbo » 11-15-2011 05:14 PM

Yeah, that website is a sham. It also documents what you said that a "real" solar system costs x10 or S2000. I just saw yesterday an ad for a "system." It showed an array of panels about 4 by 5 feet and said it outputs 45 watts. With a battery, that means you could run it all day long and collect the power to run several high efficiency led lights all night long. aka==yes, very expensive.

But it is the future. The future is us leaving coal and oil in the ground as we develop and use green energy sources. We are but a wine bottle orbiting in space. CO2 is our waste product and the alcohol level is at 9% already.

The future sums up the consequences of prior decisions/choices and brings reality whether you like it or not.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-15-2011 07:57 PM

You know, I looked into that site and what they are claiming. I have to agree with Fan that it's sort of spammy.

However, what they claim can be done -IF- you have the time and ability to do it. Basically, you are talking about making a DIY solar panel from the sub-assemblies of panels. For example, you get a waxed stack of raw panel, and you have to make it into one 24 x 36" panel. It's possible, but a lot of work. Same for the battery chargers. You can find schematics and make them, but again it's your labor in doing it. Sometimes it comes down to the fact that your time is worth something. For me, I would rather pay the money for assembled product rather than to spend months making a system.

However, I did make a small system for our ham radio repeater site in 2008, and it's still running today. It took about two months of 5 day weeks @ 3-4 hours a night to make the system. It's only 2.5kw, but it works.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 11-16-2011 09:12 AM

Fan wrote: I have a feeling that site is a bit spammy...
Ya you may be right buddy... (The guy trying to sell the things he used to do this ... I GOT YA)

It IS amazing though.....

Return to “Energy Policy”