Action Item: Internet under attack in Congress

VOTING ISSUES, Citizen Activism, Petitions

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

Action Item: Internet under attack in Congress

Post by Iris » 06-10-2005 10:45 PM

bill just introduced in the House could destroy universal, affordable Internet access everywhere.

The “Preserving Innovation in Telecom Act” (H.R. 2726) would let big cable and telecom companies shut down Community Internet and municipal broadband projects being planned across the country.

The bill would prevent state or local governments from providing “any telecommunications service, information service or cable service” anywhere a corporation offers a similar service.
This outrageous legislation was introduced by Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Texas) — a former SBC executive — and is a blatant effort by the telecom and cable companies to cement their monopoly control of communications at the expense of innovation, competition, and local choice.

We need your help to stop H.R. 2726. Please send a letter to your representative now.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE ACTION.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 06-10-2005 11:09 PM

Done Iris

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-10-2005 11:30 PM

I give this a double PUKE.

This, like every other frelling thing that comes out of this greed driven, slime fest in the Big House, is more control and fat cake for the elites, and more oppression and dirt for the people.

Make no mistake, this is a two pronged attack on We The People, 1) a scheme for the greed-a-zoids to pork out even more, and 2) a tidy little control mechanism to monitor what you an I, and the rest of the rabble are doing on the net.

Enjoy the net while we have it, folks. The window of opportunity to save our country is closing fast. Act now!

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 06-10-2005 11:42 PM

ANYTHING to KILL FREE SPEECH.:mad: :mad: :mad:"2) a tidy little control mechanism to monitor what you an I, and the rest of the rabble are doing on the net." AS I said.
Thanks! Mudwoman!
Last edited by daboodaddy on 06-10-2005 11:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-11-2005 10:40 AM

Sounds like they are trying to create a "LEGAL" Monopoly --

kinda like allowing all these telephone companies to buy out others and create monopolies -- but what am I do to about it -- I live in an area where there IS a phone monopoly - no choice in who provides my service...

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-12-2005 03:26 AM

I agree with your two points, but it sounds three-pronged to me, Sandy. It's also big business trying to squash out small business again. We all know that small business is what built this country and made it great. It gets tougher every year for the small business to compete, by design, and aided by the feds.

Good example, Cherry, and you're right -- once the big fish have swallowed all the little fish, we have no choice but to patronize the big fish or do without. We lose something very valuable when we lose choice. It's the same with the media.

I heard a kooky one the other day on the radio, and I'm sorry I can't quote it verbatim, but the gist of it was that those who manufacture health food store type cosmetics and toiletries no longer can put some special "Organic" sticker on their products. Why? Because it was unfair to the big companies who couldn't possibly procure enough organic ingredients to supply their huge markets!
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-12-2005 03:54 AM

Iris wrote: I agree with your two points, but it sounds three-pronged to me, Sandy. It's also big business trying to squash out small business again. We all know that small business is what built this country and made it great.
Yes, the greed-a-zoids will pork out every time.

Gee folks, is sure is swell to have the guy in the Big House and his good old Texas pals supporting those Pig Corporations, isn't it?

Just swell.

More...

-----
Internet under attack in Congress. Act now
Privacy Dear Media Reformer:

A bill just introduced in Congress would take away the right of cities and towns across the country to provide citizens with universal, low-cost Internet access.

Giant cable and telephone companies don’t want any competition -- which might actually force them to offer lower prices, higher speeds and service to rural and urban areas.

U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Texas) -- a former telephone company executive -- has introduced a bill (HR 2726) that would let cable and telecom companies shut down municipal and community efforts to offer broadband services.

You can stop this outrageous bill. Send a message to your representative now at http://www.freepress.net/action/sessionsbill .

Next, forward this message to everyone you know:

No less than the future of all communications is at stake. In a few years, television, telephone, radio and the Web will be accessed through a high-speed internet connection. Low-cost alternatives to telephone (DSL) and cable monopolies are emerging across the country, as cities, towns, nonprofits and community groups build low-cost "Community Internet" and municipal broadband systems.

Companies like SBC, Verizon and Comcast have been introducing laws state by state that would prohibit municipal broadband, undercut local control and prevent competition. But we've been fighting back -- and winning.

An alliance of public interest groups, local officials, high-tech innovators and organized citizens have defeated anti-municipal broadband measures in nine of the 13 states where they've been introduced this year.

What the industry couldn't pass in the states, they're trying to push through in Washington. Sessions' bill -- the "Preserving Innovation in Telecom Act" (an Orwellian title if there ever was one) -- would prevent state and local governments from providing "any telecommunications service, information service or cable service" anywhere a corporation offers a similar service.

Congressman Sessions worked for telephone giant SBC for 16 years, and his wife currently serves as a director of Cingular Wireless, an SBC subsidiary. SBC and its employees have been Sessions' second-biggest career patron, pouring more than $75,000 into his campaign coffers.

We can stop this legislation and send a clear message to Congress that local communities -- not the giant telephone and cable companies -- should determine their own communications needs. But you must act now.

Please send a letter opposing HR 2726 at http://www.freepress.net/action/sessionsbill -- and forward this message to everyone you know, asking them to do the same.

Onward,

Josh Silver
Executive Director
Free Press
http://www.freepress.net
http://www.friendsofliberty.com/

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-13-2005 09:35 AM

Iris -- I passed this info along to the geeks -- ok the people who chat in computer stuff (IRC) over the weekend. along with the URL for it. They will post it on their blog sites and get word out among the computer people too. A couple of them were aware of something going on regarding it, but did not have bill number...

Hope others here will pass it along too...

Return to “We the People”