Last chance to keep the Yellowstone Grizzly Bear on the Enda

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Last chance to keep the Yellowstone Grizzly Bear on the Enda

Post by SETIsLady » 02-14-2006 08:34 PM

The U.S. Department of the Interior recently announced plans to remove the grizzly bear from the endangered species list after 30 years of protection. Take action!

While the grizzly bear has clearly met recovery goals, by law de-listing can only happen when there are legally binding protections in place for grizzly bear habitat on national forest lands. However, due to the Bush administration's wrecking ball approach to national forest management, the necessary regulatory safeguards are not in place at this time to support de-listing.

The Bush Administration has orchestrated dramatic rollbacks of forest protections that could result in extensive road building and drilling in forests that are now protected. De-listing would allow the majestic bears to be hunted, open grizzly habitat to large-scale real estate, logging, and energy development, and increase the likelihood of bear-human conflict.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is accepting public comments on its proposal to delist the grizzly until February 15th

Please urge them to maintain protection for grizzlies until essential bear habitat is protected!

Mal
Pirate

Post by Mal » 02-15-2006 12:52 AM

Thanks for posting this, I volunteer for a local enviornmental group, we raise money to buy pristine lands in the mountain west to protect them. I'll do my best to get the word out on this.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-15-2006 12:55 AM

Mal wrote: Thanks for posting this, I volunteer for a local enviornmental group, we raise money to buy pristine lands in the mountain west to protect them. I'll do my best to get the word out on this.

Thanks Mal :) Every little bit helps.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-15-2006 08:19 PM

I haven't been to Yellowstone in a couple of years, but my husband and I plan on making a trip again this year.

My parents used to take me there when I was a kid. Right now its the Bush administration, but they are not the only ones that have been trashing the environment.

We are all responsible for what we leave future generations.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Feds extend comment period for grizzly delisting proposal

Post by SETIsLady » 02-15-2006 08:22 PM

February 15, 2006

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. – The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Wednesday that is will give the public more time to comment on the agency's proposal to lift special protections for grizzly bears around Yellowstone National Park.
The comment period, which was to have expired Wednesday, now will run through March 20, the agency said in a news release.

Chris Servheen, Fish and Wildlife's grizzly bear recovery coordinator in Missoula, said it's not unusual to allow more time for comment. He said the agency received several requests for extensions – some people wanted more time because they said the proposal was too complex or released too close to the holidays – and that it wanted to be responsive.

So far, the agency has received more than 120,000 comments, many of those e-mail form letters, he said.

“It's not a vote, anyway,” Servheen said in a phone interview. “We care about the substantive issues people bring up to make sure we have addressed the substantive issues of the proposal.”

Last fall, Fish and Wildlife declared the Yellowstone-area grizzlies recovered and proposed removing them from protections under the Endangered Species Act. The agency says the bear population has grown from 4 percent to 7 percent a year since the mid-'90s and that more than 600 grizzlies now live in that region.

Some environmentalists worry that not enough has been done, or is yet known, to ensure a thriving population if protections were lifted.

Janet Barwick, of the Natural Resources Defense Council, welcomed the extension, saying there are several highly technical documents related to the proposal that need to be examined to produce “thoughtful and substantive” comments.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/scie ... zlies.html

segasr544
Pirate

Post by segasr544 » 02-27-2006 10:45 AM

Sorry a bear is a bear and the meat takes a while to get used to .
But it takes money to protect those bears and that is coming out of our taxe's.
no money to spend on bears but big bucks to spend on nuke bombs.
I remember the night a grizz tore the place up that we had lived in for 5 years ,,, never again will i have a soft harte for a bear!!!!

oh, be for you start in ,,, it was at a small town about 20 miles from the mountains in wyoming and it was spring so it was not hungry ,,,, hell it punch a hole in the fridge and ripped out a wood fired stove, the one g-mom cooked on.
waven a hand ,,around the world!!!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 02-27-2006 11:14 AM

What is this? Throw the death-worshipping, planet-destroying bastards who proposed this to the grizzly bears. End of discussion.

(And, oh, segasr544, I have by no means forgotten your post on the gay cowboy thread: I just wish to settle my mind so that I can employ the exact words to say the exact thing to you. As far as this post is concerned, however, I regret that your house was damaged. But you and your family lived there for only five years. The bears were there for a million. Sorry, dude, you come second in this situation...)
Last edited by joequinn on 02-27-2006 11:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-27-2006 08:20 PM

segar sorry to hear about your home, I am glad none of your family was injured. But the bears were here first. There is room for both humans and creatures.

We do not have the right to rape the earth of the gifts we have received from mother nature. I personally would like to leave something for my grandchildren(when I have them) and I would prefer it not be only concrete :(
Last edited by SETIsLady on 02-27-2006 08:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 02-27-2006 10:21 PM

As the population grows, the more infringement occurs on wildlife space. As bears run in smaller and smaller space, encounters with humans increase. The way things are growing (human numbers), the less I can see sharing space with life here longer than us..something will have to give.:(

Clatu

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 02-28-2006 03:24 AM

I have a great idea; Space colonization!
I'll go.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-28-2006 08:38 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: I have a great idea; Space colonization!
I'll go.

For whom us or the bears :D :cool:

Return to “Environment in Crisis”