Polluted & Poisonous Planet

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Polluted & Poisonous Planet

Post by Shirleypal » 10-16-2009 10:29 AM

SILOG is attacking our species and our biosphere. It is polluting the air we breathe, poisoning the food we eat, and contaminating the water we drink – with its dangerous chemicals and deadly brews. And all the while we remain indifferent to its presence and - more importantly - its ultimate objective. Be sure to check out the Project Kaisei video. My buddy Ron Lakis went along as the videographer and documented the vast amount of plastic plaguing our oceans.

We Interact with 100,000+ Chemicals, and the Dangers Are Barely

"Our regulatory system works according to a 'guilty until proven innocent' logic, where new chemicals are available and safe, until the day we realize they aren't."

http://alternet.decenturl.com/we-interact-with-100-000

America is a toxic dump

"The US is one of the world's leading garbage producers. Our unnecessary wastefulness is creating a deadly brew."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... nvironment

America's Obesity Epidemic May Be Fueled by Chemicals in Everyday Products?

"Chemicals called 'obesogens' are in our food, cars and homes, according to recent scientific studies -- and they may be making us fat."

http://alternet.decenturl.com/what-if-being-fat-is-not

Project Kaisei Mission

"The mission of Project Kaisei: a 30 day, 3300 nautucal mile scientific fact finding effort in exploring the massive floating plastic debris field caught in the middle of the Pacific Ocean Gyre."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbUCAx44k0Q

Colliflubin
Pirate

Post by Colliflubin » 10-17-2009 12:43 AM

You sound like you are ashamed to be an American. We make the most trash? So what? We make the most wealth. We do more to help the underfed people on the planet than anybody. That means you're going to have some garbage. I wish we would let the rest of the world fend for themselves. The two or three friends we did have are pretty much erased by the current administration.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 10-17-2009 12:50 AM

Colliflubin wrote: You sound like you are ashamed to be an American. We make the most trash? So what? We make the most wealth. We do more to help the underfed people on the planet than anybody. That means you're going to have some garbage. I wish we would let the rest of the world fend for themselves. The two or three friends we did have are pretty much erased by the current administration.

Trying to draw attention to a serious problem is far from being ashamed to be an American Colliflubin.

Further, any assistance we might provide other nations represent actions that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed here. Even if it did, charitable work does not absolve behaviors that can have serious consequences for us, and the world at large..... no?

Something tells me that if the "wealthy" (specifically those wealthier than you) were going to turn your neighborhood in to a receptacle for "some garbage" - you know, the type created simply as a result of being rich (wtf?) - anyway, something tells me that if such a scenario were to unfold you'd be out there screaming along with the ecologists and going all "NIMBY" on us - just a guess.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 10-17-2009 12:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 10-17-2009 01:01 AM

It's interesting, I was (unfortunately) driving through Staten Island a few weeks ago - the Island was used for years as NYC's official garbage dump (before we began to ship the garbage out to financially struggling towns down the Eastern Seaboard that were desperate for our cash) and only in recent years have they begun to cover the massive dumps on Staten Island up. The stench was almost unbearable, and could be smelled even before we got on the bridge on to the Island - miles away. That just cannot be healthy to live near.

I couldn't help but think about all of the toxin's present in that mess. Decades worth of batteries, styrofoam, plastic bottles, etc......

There has to be a better solution than the one we are pursuing, some clean method of incineration perhaps? Is anyone working on such technology?
Last edited by Kaztronic on 10-17-2009 01:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Colliflubin
Pirate

Post by Colliflubin » 10-17-2009 01:14 AM

Kaztronic wrote: Trying to draw attention to a serious problem is far from being ashamed to be an American Colliflubin.

Further, any assistance we might provide other nations represent actions that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed here. Even if it did, charitable work does not absolve behaviors that can have serious consequences for us, and the world at large..... no?

Something tells me that if the "wealthy" (specifically those wealthier than you) were going to turn your neighborhood in to a receptacle for "some garbage" - you know, the type created simply as a result of being rich (wtf?) - anyway, something tells me that if such a scenario were to unfold you'd be out there screaming along with the ecologists and going all "NIMBY" on us - just a guess.
I got my ass kicked about 38 yrs. ago. I now have grandchildren. I won't be screaming with you.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-17-2009 02:25 AM

Colliflubin wrote: You sound like you are ashamed to be an American.

What's with the "you" accusation? Shirley posted some links to articles she thought might be of interest here -- and they are. But she didn't actually say anything herself.

And Kaz is right. We can do better. And we should.

And BTW, WTH does having your "ass kicked about 38 yrs. ago" have to do with anything on this thread?

:confused:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-17-2009 02:46 AM

Moderator Comment:

Colliflubin - you say you have been reading the Fantastic Forum for years. You must have formed some impression of our community here in all this time. If you have come mainly to post extreme views and disrupt the community - that is a concern.

From our Mission Statement (link on main website page here):

The key concept here is community. While others are invited to join us from time to time, as registered guests, to see if they might become part of this community, and are accepted by the Fantastic Forum Community - we reserve the right to deny continued participation to those who are disruptive to the community. Some new registrants are easily recognized as sharing and enjoying common values, general philosophy, and a positive experience with the members here. Others might find this is not the place for them. In those cases, these folks generally move on, or are asked to move on if they are disruptive to the Fantastic Forum.

May as well give this some thought up front here.

Here is a link to the Mission Statement, in case you missed it:

http://fantasticforum.com/1aa_newsletter/arrrrrgh.html

rumike
Pirate

Re: Polluted & Poisonous Planet

Post by rumike » 10-17-2009 03:16 AM

Shirleypal wrote: SILOG is attacking our species and our biosphere

Thanks for the interesting links, SP. This weekend my wife is hosting an environmental conference for the entire state of Missouri at the college where she teaches environmental science. I'll send these to her as well.
Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-17-2009 03:23 AM

What is SILOG? Can't find this on the links, or google.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-17-2009 03:32 AM

Excellent link for the Kaisei Project, Shirley.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-17-2009 10:47 AM

Colliflubin wrote: You sound like you are ashamed to be an American. We make the most trash? So what? We make the most wealth. We do more to help the underfed people on the planet than anybody. That means you're going to have some garbage. I wish we would let the rest of the world fend for themselves. The two or three friends we did have are pretty much erased by the current administration.

Oh yes sometimes I am ashamed of America, for our greed and using most of earths precious resources, at this rate all the wealth in the world will mean nothing if we can't live or breathe, we are not special, this self centered attitude you have has gotten us to where we are today and it's not a pretty picture. This current administration has made more friends in the past 10 months then we have had in the last eight years, don't know what you are so bitter about Colliflubin but sure it has nothing to do with an article I posted.

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 10-17-2009 04:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linnea
What is SILOG? Can't find this on the links, or google. [/QUOTE

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtlantisA ... ISO-8859-1
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-17-2009 05:51 PM

Bellisima [/i] [quote][i]Originally posted by Linnea wrote: What is SILOG? Can't find this on the links, or google. [/B][/QUOTE

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtlantisA ... ISO-8859-1

Thanks, Bellisima. :) I guess SILOG refers to a 'technological plague' - as in one such which infected a 'virtual world' online game.

Silog also refers to 'rice' and 'egg' dishes - in Tagalog. :)

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 10-17-2009 06:40 PM

"SILOG" is a term Peter Gersten often uses to refer to a SILicon-based OrGanism, which he postulates (not too seriously) as embodying the anti-human forces afflicting the planet.
Anchors Aweigh

Return to “Environment in Crisis”