Global warming snow job

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Global warming snow job

Post by megman » 02-21-2010 09:15 PM

Lorrie Goldstein is a columnist with Sun media and I feel she nailed it with this. I agree with everything she says 100%.

Global warming snow job

Other than their grating self-righteousness, the most annoying thing about global warmists is their double standards.

Case in point. All over North America for the past few weeks, they’ve been screaming how dare the Republican right and Fox News in the U.S. suggest the recent wave of record snowfalls and cold temperatures south of the border are evidence man-made global warming is a hoax.

Indeed, warmist piling on has been almost as impressive as the snow drifts that recently paralyzed Washington, D.C.

Now, before the warmists have a stroke, let it be said they have a point.

Weather isn’t climate and no single weather event, or season, or several cold and snowy seasons, can fairly be used to discount the theory of man-made global warming.

Indeed, in a warming world, precipitation increases (at least where it doesn’t decrease) and thus, heavy snowfalls aren’t automatic evidence of global cooling. To the contrary, warmists contend, record snowfalls are a sure sign of global warming.

Thus, when the family of Republican Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma — considered the anti-Christ by global warmists — builds an igloo near the U.S. Capitol declaring it “Al Gore’s New Home” that’s not fair ... It’s funny, but it’s not fair.

Ditto Republican Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina, tweeting the snow would fall “until Al Gore cries uncle.” Again, unfair ... Still funny, though.

Ditto Fox News — whose pundits express similar views, only more loudly.

After all, global warming is a complex issue and the public’s understanding is not helped by simplistic, sensationalistic portrayals of it.

Of course, global warmists — who have condemned Republican tactics — would never stoop to them, right? Wrong.

We whisk you to Vancouver just before the Olympics where — shocking, this — there wasn’t any snow, because, as all Canadians know, Vancouver is always buried in about, what, a metre of the white stuff at this time of year? (Insert laughter here.)

So, given the somewhat unsurprising news Olympic officials were trucking in snow to Cypress Mountain, site of the freestyle skiing and snowboard events, how did Canadian warmists respond?

Well, here’s our most famous environmentalist, David Suzuki, calmly commenting.

“I’ve watched in horror as the snow just melted away from Cypress Mountain and it’s even more horrifying to me to think of helicopters airlifting snow from Manning Park to fill it back up again.”

In addition to Suzuki’s apparently low tolerance for horror, climatically speaking, his foundation chimed in man-made global warming clearly had a hand in the lack of snow.

So, just to review the warmist perspective:

(1) North of the 49th parallel — global warming explains the lack of snow.

(2) South of the 49th parallel — global warming explains the snow.

Plus:

(1) Warmists can use single weather events to prove global warming.

(2) Opponents can’t use single weather events to disprove global warming.

Does it not occur to warmists that stuff like this is one of the reasons more and more people are starting to think of them as the intellectual heirs of Chicken Little?

As for Canada’s warmist media, if you’re wondering why fewer people are buying your argument neither climategate nor the growing scientific controversies engulfing the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is news, ask yourself this.

How many of you (justifiably) criticized Inhofe, DeMint and Fox for what they said? Now, how many of you criticized Suzuki and his foundation for what they said? Oops.

A final assignment for warmists. Go to your video bible, Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth, and find in all those dramatic visual images linking global warming to present-day heat waves, droughts, floods, melting glaciers, rising sea levels and hurricanes, one image — just one — linking global warming to record snowstorms.

Trust me, you won’t find any, because that would have gotten in the way of Gore’s painfully simplistic argument that more greenhouse gas emissions simply means more heat.

And the problem is, when you live by the sword, you die by the sword, as the warmists are now discovering.

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 02-23-2010 11:39 AM

Even though I think we are on different sides of opinon on Global Warming, I think the article is fair. I do think the numbers and info show more that there is Climate Change going on and we speed it up, but I agree taking a single event and saying "See look" on either side is lazy at best.

The group I can't figure out is the people who say there no Global Warming, but then change to their is Global Warming but it's a cycle (which I don't mind changing your mind, that shows a healthy thinking person who can have their mind change) but then go right back to mocking the idea of Global Warming at the first sign of snow.

Good work in article to point out that snow days are usually the nicest days of winter tempature wise. Anybody who lives in a cold climate I think would agree that the worst coldest days are usually some of the most clearest days (or a high wind chill) but on the most part snowy days are usually some of the more comfortable days.

Daily Show and Colbert Report had some fun with the other side. Stewart said that a couple of groups get really excited whenever they see snow. People who will get the day off because it's a "snow day" and global warming deniers ( it's so true, you know the second it starts snowing somebody either local radio or national like fox will say something about "where's global warming". It's a good thing they don't believe in Global Warming because they need their huge cars to get to the studio during the snowstorm lol ) and Colbert called it the "Peek-A-Boo" theory, you close your eyes, you open it, see the snow, and close it right back and think it must be snowing here and everywhere eles (Even though there has been record temps in Brazil at the exact same time)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-23-2010 02:41 PM

OMG wrote: Even though I think we are on different sides of opinon on Global Warming, I think the article is fair. I do think the numbers and info show more that there is Climate Change going on and we speed it up, but I agree taking a single event and saying "See look" on either side is lazy at best.

I would agree with this statement, OMG. I don't agree with the premise of the article, and I don't agree with the tone, but I see the problem that's being pointed out. This is a pervasive problem, and not just with this issue. It's the problem of a too narrow focus, a refusal to see the bigger picture and how the pieces all fit together. It's the problem of only looking at parts and not seeing, or in many cases, refusing to see, the whole, or even the connections, the patterns, that make the whole. The nature of the sea cannot be understood by examining a drop of water.

This is a whole other topic, but I think Western society has encouraged this kind of thinking through our emphasis on specialization. We end up with people who understand ONE piece of the puzzle in great depth and detail, but really have no idea how it connects with the rest of the world, much less the role their individual piece plays in the whole. Specialization is not necessarily a bad thing. It is good to look at something in detail and understand it thoroughly, but unless the ability to make the connections, to see the patterns, is also taught, then ultimately, it fails.

We end up with narrow, short-sighted thinking, and "solutions" that really aren't solutions at all, but mere band-aids. I could say a lot more on this topic, but I don't want to hijack the topic, so will end here.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-23-2010 03:29 PM

It was not so long ago in human history the idea the earth was round was ridiculed, and ships sailing the ocean were expected, at some point, to fall off the edge of the earth. Later, proponents of a helio centered cosmology were persecuted as heretics.

Otherwise intelligent people, even today, believe the earth was formed 6,000 years ago.

The idea the earth and its atmosphere is an eco-cosmic system, and that actions on a global scale, as massive de-forrestation and dumping billions of tons of C02 into the atmosphere have effects on that eco-cosmic system is also ridiculed.

We might not have all the details right, but we ignore our connection to this eco-cosmic, or gai'an system to our peril. imo.

What about that ozone layer?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-23-2010 06:33 PM

Agreed, Linnea. I would add that believing the earth is flat, or even that it was created a mere 6,000 years ago, aren't dangerous beliefs in and of themselves. I can think of no dire consequences for others in regard to those beliefs (except and unless, of course, those who believe these things desire to inflict barbaric punishments on those who don't, and have the power to do so -- as has happened). However, you are absolutely correct that "we ignore our connection to this eco-cosmic, or gai'an system to our peril." This is dangerous territory for our entire planet.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-24-2010 10:21 AM

Global warming - global cooling - a cycle is what we experience on different time scales. The accuracy of history discusses extremely cold times, droughts (dust bowl anyone) and other times of 'normal'. We have wetter seasons and drier ones, times when it seems we go directly from winter to summer and vice versa.

Scientists make 'guesses' that might or might not be accurate according to what they attempt to discover and where they do their research when it comes to weather. There are far too many factors involved to claim one or the other (freezing/cooling) with any accuracy. Solar cycles (more flares or fewer), planetary alignments, El Nino - La Nina, core samples from one area to base what is going on in entire world - doesn't work, as well as far too many other factors - volcanic activity, plate tectonics (quakes), etc. All add into the equation.

CO2 is necessary for plant life - basic information without which plants would not grow.

In the meantime we all try to figure out who is right/wrong about the climate and the so-called changes. Just remember highly accurate information on even something so simple as temperature in any one area is still in its infancy as far as the millions of years of earth's history are concerned.

.....Are their cars on Mars?.....gee it is warming too... hmm no humans either.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 02-24-2010 10:48 AM

Guesses?

Oh dear.

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 02-24-2010 10:30 PM

Almost all people are not trained Scientist, and have no way of evaluating data and the processes involved etc, as such people tend to react on an emotional level, and parrot what their preferred
media sources present.....

40 years ago, Gaia Theory (Earth System Science) was birthed by James Lovelock and Lynn Margulis, a new way of understanding - a big picture view -

There are an almost infinite number of interdependant reactions taking place - like the Dimethyl sulfide that is produced in the oceans that provide the nuclei for the formation of clouds as an example, or the role of lightning strikes around the World regulating the schumann resonance....

However, the media does not do complexity - most people do not read.... and so we have low grade propaganda sold as information - which it is not...
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 02-25-2010 03:29 PM

That was the gist of the article. It simply points out the hoopla being raised on both sides of the fence. Keeping the masses confused can either work in your favor or backfire.

And for the record, there is a world of difference between Global Warming and Climate Change.;)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-25-2010 06:03 PM

Not really "a world of difference." They are related. Climate change is a more all encompassing term that includes global warming. From NASA:
Global warming refers to surface temperature increases, while climate change includes global warming and everything else that increasing greenhouse gas amounts will affect.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Environment in Crisis”