Whatever Happened to the Ozone Hole?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Whatever Happened to the Ozone Hole?

Post by Linnea » 05-06-2010 03:52 PM

...from National Geographic - May 5th, 2010
What would the 1980s have been without big hair and ice-cold wine coolers?

Luckily no one had to find out: Key substitutions in hairsprays and refrigerants allowed such products to exist without chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which were found to be ripping a huge "hole" in Earth's protective ozone layer.

Today the ozone hole, which was first spotted 25 years ago, appears headed for a happy ending, thanks to unprecedented international action.

Could a similar effort rein in climate change? And is the closing ozone hole actually making global warming worse?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -25-years/

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-07-2010 04:03 PM

We are supposed to feel better because of that picture?

Look, the word behind closed doors is that 1985 was the year in which the s**t hit the fan and in which the only sensible ecological attitude became despair, stark raving despair. Even if we had taken one of those humongous logging saws to every last one of the ecociders in Washington, DC, it still would have been too late to fix things up. We are doomed, doomed, doomed --- ever since the days when Madonna was the hottest new thing in music!

I lost my box of matches a quarter of a century ago, so what good is this candle in my hand, huh? Far better that I should curse the darkness with gusto, so if you will pardon me...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-07-2010 11:18 PM

The point was - if human activities on the planet can affect the ozone layer - what about the climate change/global warming deniers? (or, at least the denial of the human component possibly involved)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-07-2010 11:19 PM

And your other point...

Feel 'better' - feel worse? What has that to do with anything.

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 05-09-2010 11:15 PM

I remember this really well, Reagan really took the lead (That crazy environmentalist Lib lol) Ah back in the day where there were differences between Repubs and Dems but we can at least all agree that we share the earth and if something is doing damage to it we should try to change it or stop it.

Repub right now it's just a big stupid game, where the other side has to be wrong, there is no depth in thinking at all. Reagan ordered to phase out CFC, now that would be considered anti-business or whatever bull that's being said now.

Not sure what it is, is it that these guys are too attached to the oil lobby and that's why there no major change away from them. Or is it that it is just a game, and before with different opinion we Repub and Dems can look each other in the eye and know they have the nation best interst in heart, but now it all about my side winning and not giving inch and if we drag the planet down with it, then oh well.

Return to “Environment in Crisis”