Fukushima

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-25-2013 04:24 PM

Fan wrote: It is like a joke they are playing. They can't admit that they are completely screwed. How is ice supposed to not melt? WTF?

I suppose they will say they have generators to keep the ice machines working. Whoops!! Those failed during the tsunami which is why they are into this mess.

It sure seems like they are clueless to solve the problem.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-25-2013 05:00 PM

voguy wrote: I suppose they will say they have generators to keep the ice machines working. Whoops!! Those failed during the tsunami which is why they are into this mess.

It sure seems like they are clueless to solve the problem.
during the nuclear winter they know is coming it will be fine?

:beaker:
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-10-2013 05:13 PM

http://www.news.com.au/world/three-year ... 6778818502
The radioactivity has been measured at 25 Sieverts (Sv) per hour. A total dose of two Sv is regarded as severe radiation poisoning. Six Sv produces a 100 per cent mortality rate after 30 days of suffering.

[...]

The uranium cores of the reactors have been close to "meltdown", with some burning through their concrete containment walls.

The water used in a desperate bid to "cool" these fuel rods has been steadily leaking into the soil and seeping into the nearby Pacific Ocean.

This should come as no surprise. Water is being contaminated at a rate of 400 tons per day in order to keep the superheated rods stable.

[...]

Tepco has already cut down the forest surrounding the plant. In its place are 1000 massive metal storage tanks holding 360,000 tonnes of radioactive water. It needs storage for a further 270,000 tonnes.

It's a vulnerable stopgap measure. Another nasty quake would burst the tanks and send the water into the Pacific.
An un-profitable industry built on lies, subsidies, & deflected costs.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-10-2013 05:21 PM

Yeah, we are learning just how much Canada lied to us now.

---

The government lied to us about radiation and continues to. I hope you didn't open your mouth in the rain or let your kids play in puddles...

http://enenews.com/just-in-canada-paper ... ve-coverup

http://enenews.com/local-official-bc-ca ... -fukushima

http://enenews.com/lawmaker-serious-que ... -fukushima

http://enenews.com/report-reveals-highe ... ite-claims

http://www.globalresearch.ca/canada-bus ... on/5360404

They doctored the numbers, they refused to release data, they did not even update their website for months after the accident, I wrote to them twice demanding numbers.

Their response was essentially "Shut up slave". Obviously, now we find out they have been lying the whole time, and still are.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-10-2013 05:27 PM

I trust you're not surprised?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-10-2013 05:30 PM

voguy wrote: I trust you're not surprised?

Actually, I was. How sick do you have to be to decide to keep this secret?

But, like I said, I was writing to Health Canada days after the meltdown demanding they start posting data. I bluffed and said I was a journalist the second time I wrote, and that I would be doing a story about how they were covering up a problem. The next day the (bogus we now know) data was updated on the website. I never got an answer to either inquiry. I don't really believe it was me that forced their hand, but it was an interesting coincidence.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-10-2013 05:36 PM

Having worked in media, and dealt with governments and politicians, I've learned that what they say or state in written releases can only be taken with a grain of salt. Just today I was working with one reporter on the State's release of unemployment figures. As you might expect, they are 11.23% based on numbers supplied by another State agency. So when they say, "unemployment is only 7.1%", it's just a shell game.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-10-2013 06:53 PM

Fan wrote: Yeah, we are learning just how much Canada lied to us now.
I didnt think your country did that to you Guys Fan,thats upsetting to hear :(

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-10-2013 11:10 PM

Dude111 wrote: I didnt think your country did that to you Guys Fan,thats upsetting to hear :(

There is no country that does not.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-22-2013 11:44 AM

http://nypost.com/2013/12/22/70-navy-sa ... an-rescue/
Navy sailor Lindsay Cooper knew something was wrong when billows of metallic-tasting snow began drifting over USS Ronald Reagan.
“I was standing on the flight deck, and we felt this warm gust of air, and, suddenly, it was snowing,” Cooper recalled of the day in March 2011 when she and scores of crewmates watched a sudden storm blow toward them from the tsunami-torn coast of Fukushima, Japan.
The tall 24-year-old with a winning smile didn’t know it then, but the snow was caused by the freezing Pacific air mixing with a plume of radioactive steam from the city’s shattered nuclear reactor.

Now, nearly three years after their deployment on a humanitarian mission to Japan’s ravaged coast, Cooper and scores of her fellow crew members on the aircraft carrier and a half-dozen other support ships are battling cancers, thyroid disease, uterine bleeding and other ailments.
“We joked about it: ‘Hey, it’s radioactive snow!’ ” Cooper recalled. “I took pictures and video.”

But now “my thyroid is so out of whack that I can lose 60 to 70 pounds in one month and then gain it back the next,” said Cooper, fighting tears. “My menstrual cycle lasts for six months at a time, and I cannot get pregnant. It’s ruined me.”

The fallout of those four days spent off the Fukushima coast has been tragic to many of the 5,000 sailors who were there.

At least 70 have been stricken with some form of radiation sickness, and of those, “at least half . . . are suffering from some form of cancer,” their lawyer, Paul Garner, told The Post Saturday.

“We’re seeing leukemia, testicular cancer and unremitting gynecological bleeding requiring transfusions and other intervention,” said Garner, who is representing 51 crew members suing the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the Fukushima Daiichi energy plant.

“Then you have thyroid polyps, other thyroid diseases,” added Garner, who plans to file an amended lawsuit in federal court in San Diego next month that will bring the number of plaintiffs past 70.

Smoke rises from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in March 2011 after it was hit by a tsunami.

Senior Chief Michael Sebourn, a radiation-decontamination officer, was assigned to test the aircraft carrier for radiation.

The levels were incredibly dangerous and at one point, the radiation in the air measured 300 times higher than what was considered safe, Sebourn told The Post.
The former personal trainer has suffered a series of ailments, starting with severe nosebleeds and headaches and continuing with debilitating weakness.
He says he has lost 60 percent of the power in the right side of his body and his limbs have visibly shrunk.

“I’ve had four MRIs, and I’ve been to 20 doctors,” he said. “No one can figure out what is wrong.”

He has since retired from the Navy after 17 years of service.

Even as the Reagan was steaming toward the disaster, power-company officials knew the cloud of steam they were releasing — in order to relieve pressure in the crippled plant — was toxic, the lawsuit argues, a claim that has also been made by the Japanese government.

Tokyo Electric Power also knew that radioactivity was leaking at a rate of 400 tons a day into the North Pacific, according to the lawsuit and Japanese officials.
“We were probably floating in contaminated water without knowing it for a day and a half before we got hit by that plume,” said Cooper, whose career as a third-class petty officer ended five months after the disaster for health reasons.

The toxic seawater was sucked into the ship’s desalinization system, flowing out of its faucets and showers — still radioactive — and into the crew member’s bodies.
“All I drink is water. You stay hydrated on that boat,” said Cooper, who worked up to 18 hours at a time on the flight deck loading supplies onto a steady stream of aid helicopters for four days, all the while drinking out of the two-gallon pouch of water hooked to her gear belt.

By the time the Reagan realized it was contaminated and tried to shift location, the radioactive plume had spread too far to be quickly outrun.
“We have a multimillion-dollar radiation-detection system, but . . . it takes time to be set up and activated,” Cooper said.

“And then we couldn’t go anywhere. Japan didn’t want us in port, Korea didn’t want us, Guam turned us away. We floated in the water for two and a half months,” until Thailand took them in, she said.

All the while crew members had been suffering from excruciating diarrhea.

“People were s- -tting themselves in the hallways,” Cooper recalled.

“Two weeks after that, my lymph nodes in my neck were swollen. By July, my thyroid shut down.”

Cooper, the single mother of a 4-year-old girl named Serenity, says her biggest worry is that she will get cancer. Her own mother died recently of breast cancer at age 53.
“This isn’t about financial gain,” Cooper said of the lawsuit. “This is about what’s going to happen while I’m sick, and then after I’m gone.”

“I worry,” she added, her voice choking, “because I have a daughter. And I’m so sick.”
Stunning incompetence from TEPCO, and the USN. What a horrific shame
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-23-2013 02:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-23-2013 08:02 AM

SquidInk wrote: Stunning incompetence from TEPCO, and the USN. What a horrific shame

It's more than a shame. It is criminal.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-23-2013 11:59 AM

Yes, but, two issues at work here - one, you can't sue the government.

Then there is the issue of radiation expsoure and how/ if illnesses manifesting post-exposure can be directly attributable to the exposure.

And, there's the rub since many cancers can develop absent radiation exposure. Also, there is no linear correlation on the low-end of the exposure that defines unequivocally that, above this dose you WILL develop cancer, while on the other side below this level you WILL NOT develop cancer. Medicine has pretty much always maintained that there exists a no-threshold level of exposure since the variabilities (dose, area/s exposed, time of exposure, distance from source, etc) are too great to give a blanket statement. So, a total body dose delivered at Fukashima may be far more detrimental than an skin dose in the western hemisphere. Also, are we talking alpha, beta or gamma particles? Each have their own energy levels. Generally, inhaling or ingesting is far worse than skin contact.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-23-2013 12:12 PM

It would be nice to send all those in government poo-pooing the plight of our military in this situation to the reactor to assist with the rod removal. Of course I can think where they can place the rods.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-23-2013 12:20 PM

What is truly sad is that you won't see anyone frm the government getting that involved. They'll do their work from a safe distance and send in the peons instead.

What I found interesting on the interactive map is that a number of US sites - Memphis, Providence, Boston - are recording higher numbers than many locations along the west coast. Makes me think that our sites are doing all that great either........

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-23-2013 02:39 PM

The problem is when you have an instance such as Fukushima, the pollutants get airborne. So I'm thinking it's not our sites as much as drifting particulates from Fukushima's blast, as well as the evaporation of the sea water into the atmosphere.

Like Chernobyl, it will circle the globe many times laying down particulates on the globe. God help us if other unit lets loose.

Return to “Environment in Crisis”