Bison return

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Bison return

Post by voguy » 03-28-2016 04:46 PM

Bison to return to Montana after 140 years in the Canadian wilderness
Herd ‘coming home’ under treaty between North American tribes that seeks to return bison from Canada to Montana
Associated Press - Monday 28 March 2016 05.43 BST

LINK TO STORY

Descendants of a bison herd captured and sent to Canada more than a century ago will be relocated to a Montana Native American reservation next month, in what tribal leaders bill as a homecoming for a species emblematic of their traditions.

The shipment of animals from Alberta’s Elk Island national park to the Blackfeet reservation follows a 2014 treaty among tribes in the US and Canada. That agreement aims to restore bison to areas of the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains where millions once roamed.
Yellowstone proposes controversial slaughter of 1,000 bison
Read more

“For thousands of years the Blackfeet lived among the buffalo here. The buffalo sustained our way of life, provided our food, clothing, shelter,” Blackfeet chairman Harry Barnes said. “It became part of our spiritual being. We want to return the buffalo.”

The 89 plains bison, also known as buffalo, will form the nucleus of a herd that tribal leaders envision will soon roam freely across a vast landscape: the Blackfeet reservation, nearby Glacier national park and the Badger-Two Medicine wilderness — more than 4,000 square miles combined.

Bison were hunted to near-extinction in the late 1800s as European settlers advanced across the once-open American west.

Most of the animals that survive today are in commercial herds, raised for their meat and typically interbred with cattle. The Blackfeet have a commercial bison herd established in 1972 that numbers more than 400 animals.

The lineage of Elk Island’s bison, which experts say are free of cattle genes, traces back to a small group of animals captured by several American Indians on Blackfeet land just south of Canada.

Those bison were later sold to two men, Charles Allard and Michel Pablo, who formed what became known as the Pablo-Allard herd. By the early 1900s, the Pablo-Allard herd was said to be the largest collection of the animals remaining in the US.

After US officials rejected a sale offer from Pablo, the Canadian government purchased most of the bison. The animals were then shipped by train to Elk Island, according to park officials and western historians.

“They’ve made a big circle, but now they’re coming home,” said Ervin Carlson, a Blackfeet member and president of the Intertribal Buffalo Council.

The relocation comes as the restoration of genetically-pure bison to the west’s grasslands and forests have gained traction. The efforts include the relocation of some genetically-pure bison from Yellowstone national park to two Indian reservations in eastern and central Montana.

The tribes — the Assiniboine and Sioux tribes of the Fort Peck reservation and the Assiniboine and Gros Ventre tribes of the Fort Belknap reservations — are signatories to the 2014 treaty. But ranchers and landowners near the reservations have strongly opposed the plan, driven by concerns over disease and the prospect of bison competing with cattle for grass.

Brucellosis, the disease found in Yellowstone’s bison herds, is absent from Canada’s Elk Island, according to the park’s superintendent, Stephen Flemming.

“The difficulty [with Yellowstone bison] is the stigma attached to them. In this case, the animals [coming from Canada] have never been exposed to brucellosis,” said Keith Aune of the Wildlife Conservation Society, which has been working with the Blackfeet on their bison programme.

(Pictures at link)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Re: Bison return

Post by Doka » 03-28-2016 08:53 PM

They are awsome animals. We have some on the reservation here, definately on open range animal, they don't like fences and they get huge and have an "attitude"

I wonder if they will stay relocated?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-30-2016 04:42 PM

Doka wrote:They are awsome animals. We have some on the reservation here, definately on open range animal, they don't like fences and they get huge and have an "attitude"

I wonder if they will stay relocated?
I think you answered your own question. They don't like fences and they get huge and have an "attitude". The one I encountered in North Dakota wanted to go head to grill with my truck. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 03-30-2016 06:06 PM

That is great news. The Tall Grass national park here in Kansas has a herd of pure Bison that they are trying to re-introduce. What a shame it was to drive them to near extinction! I love to look at them (from a distance).

fos

Return to “Environment in Crisis”