Prince of Tides

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Prince of Tides

Post by Shirleypal » 05-14-2006 04:18 PM

I am watching Prince of Tides with Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand, one of my favorite all time movies. Haven't seen it for years but is on Comcast On Demand. It is very difficult to watch parts of this movie.
The Prince of Tides is an exceptional movie! It is filled with emotion, humor, adventure, and pathos. Nick Nolte is the heart of the film. He is a broken man, covering up for the past, trying to please his family, but unable to open up and absolve himself of the dysfunction of his past life.

Director :Barbra Streisand
Screenplay: Pat Conroy & Becky Johnston
Book: Pat Conroy

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 05-17-2006 04:23 AM

I saw Prince of Tides and read the book, too....

In all honesty, it is difficult for me to watch movies depicting therapists who get romantically involved with their patients.

It is a personal thing with me - I know so many people in my field who would never dream of doing such a thing, yet books and movies have all too often given this image to the world of the psych field. I hate it! :mad:

However, in all fairness, I have run across a nuber of guys, in particular, who seem to really get alot out of the book.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-17-2006 10:04 AM

nitenative wrote:
In all honesty, it is difficult for me to watch movies depicting therapists who get romantically involved with their patients.

It is a personal thing with me - I know so many people in my field who would never dream of doing such a thing, yet books and movies have all too often given this image to the world of the psych field. I hate it! :mad:
Agreed. The movie was uncomfortable for me too, for the same reasons.

BTW: Psychiatric malpractice of a sexual nature, is not widespread (about 4% of therapists), is a disciplinary action in all states, and criminal in some.

Here is an interesting article about therapist/ patient sex:
http://kspope.com/sexiss/sexencyc.php

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-17-2006 10:39 AM

nitenative wrote: I saw Prince of Tides and read the book, too....

However, in all fairness, I have run across a nuber of guys, in particular, who seem to really get alot out of the book.

In reality she wasn't his therapist, he was filling in the gaps for his sister who couldn't talk about the horrific things that happened to her and it ended up being a healing experience for him also. What was difficult for me were the scenes about what happened to him and his family.
Last edited by Shirleypal on 05-17-2006 10:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 05-18-2006 02:25 AM

Shirleypal wrote: In reality she wasn't his therapist, he was filling in the gaps for his sister who couldn't talk about the horrific things that happened to her and it ended up being a healing experience for him also. What was difficult for me were the scenes about what happened to him and his family.

Yes, you're right about the fact that she wasn't his therapist. I had forgotten that little fact. (I still don't think it's terribly "kosher" but, oh well...)

The events that happened to the family reminded me of a sort of Cape Fear kind of episode where they were terrorized. :(

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-18-2006 03:03 AM

Shirleypal wrote: In reality she wasn't his therapist, he was filling in the gaps for his sister who couldn't talk about the horrific things that happened to her and it ended up being a healing experience for him also. What was difficult for me were the scenes about what happened to him and his family.

True, in a technical sense at least. She was still in a position of authority and was sexually aggressive to a man she knew was vulnerable. It was unethical. It really bothered me, and made me uncomfortable. Maybe because I am an RN, I relate to it differently. I could not imagine having a sexual relationship with a patent's brother, while my patient was fighting cancer. To me, it would be inappropriate and selfish. But that is just me, and my sense of personal boundaries.

L
S
:)

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 05-18-2006 03:14 AM

This is an interesting discussion, mudwoman. I agree with you about it being a boundary issue.

That's Hollywood for you.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-18-2006 08:43 AM

I understand your point Sandy, but there was much more to this movie than their relationship and I tend not to focus on that part of it, it was still a powerful movie in my opinion.

Tinkerbell
Pirate

Post by Tinkerbell » 05-31-2006 04:48 PM

Shirleypal wrote: I understand your point Sandy, but there was much more to this movie than their relationship and I tend not to focus on that part of it, it was still a powerful movie in my opinion.

I agree, Shireypal. It was a very intense and powerful movie. I thought Barbara Streisand and Nick Nolte were both great.

Tinkerbell
Tinkerbell ^..^

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”