Movies As Metaphor

Moderator: Super Moderators

nitenative
Pirate

Movies As Metaphor

Post by nitenative » 05-17-2006 04:45 AM

I thought of an interesting question tonight I thought I would ask the Pirates...

QUESTION: If you had to pick one movie that best expresses how you feel in your life right now, which one would it be and why?

The movie I would pick is Shadows and Fog written and directed by Woody Allen. I grabbed it about two weeks ago at a used book/DVD store here in Phoenix and decided to see it.

It is about a 1920's style European town at night enshrouded in fog and terrorized by a mad strangler choosing random victims. Paranoia, fear and anger are everywhere. Death is in the air and life feels fragile. Vigiliante mobs are running all over. In the midst of this chaos, the daily cycles of love, sex and life persist. At one point, a man and a woman pause to share an intimate moment of reflection under the stars. The woman turns to the man and says, "My father used to say that most people are happy. Only they don't know it."

This is the way I feel right now. I could be living in this fog-filled town (I wish Phoenix was filled with fog!)...We have two serial killers running around killing people, we are looking over our shoulders and people are scurrying along the streets and yet....LIFE GOES ON. This is, in itself, a quiet daily miracle. The message: Be Here Now.

That's my movie....;)

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 05-17-2006 06:38 AM

Just one movie?

Hmmmm.........

Billy Jack

Sure, bad acting and not so good editing. But it was an indie film made on a shoe-string budget, but the message and story are what counted then , and now.
( I hope I don't have to give a synopsis :D )
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 05-18-2006 02:20 AM

Well, at least there's one response to this thread....and thank you, Jon-Marcus, for it. I remember Billy Jack. I seem to remember there was an itneresting story about it - was it true? Also, the guy who made and starred in it, I think he passed away and wasn't very old. Hmmm.

Palatine
Pirate

Post by Palatine » 05-18-2006 05:48 AM

This thread's a cool idea nitenative.

I just can't think of any movie that describes how I feel in my life right now.

Still, cool idea.
:)

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 05-18-2006 06:17 AM

nitenative wrote: Well, at least there's one response to this thread....and thank you, Jon-Marcus, for it. I remember Billy Jack. I seem to remember there was an itneresting story about it - was it true? Also, the guy who made and starred in it, I think he passed away and wasn't very old. Hmmm.

Acctualy, the star/producer/ director, Tom Laughlin, is alive and well. So is his wife, who played Jean. There's talk on their website, billyjack.com , of making another BJ movie involving bringing our troops home and returning control over the gov back to the people.
Which interesting story do you mean? there are several. If you can locate a copy of the book, which is really the screenplay, there is a forward that tells about several problems and strange coincidents they faced trying to get the movie made. Like the Navaho hat Tom wore. He insisted on it, though everyone, includeing his wife said it was silly. Tom didn't even know why he insisted.
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 05-18-2006 03:15 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: Acctualy, the star/producer/ director, Tom Laughlin, is alive and well. So is his wife, who played Jean. There's talk on their website, billyjack.com , of making another BJ movie involving bringing our troops home and returning control over the gov back to the people.
Which interesting story do you mean? there are several. If you can locate a copy of the book, which is really the screenplay, there is a forward that tells about several problems and strange coincidents they faced trying to get the movie made....

He's alive!? I didn't know that, obviously. (If I haven't heard about someone in awhile, I always think they might be dead.)
Regarding what the "interesting story" was - Yeah, it's like you said: I heard there were some problems and "strange coincidences" surrounding the making of the movie. This was quite awhile ago, it seems, when I was in college and a hippie. Anything that had a rebel feel to it was cool ;) .
Last edited by nitenative on 05-18-2006 03:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

nitenative
Pirate

Post by nitenative » 05-18-2006 03:19 PM

Palatine wrote: This thread's a cool idea nitenative.

I just can't think of any movie that describes how I feel in my life right now.

Still, cool idea.
:)

I would be interested, Palatine. :)

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”