An Inconvenient Truth

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by Shirleypal » 05-25-2006 08:41 PM

Hi Shirley -

What's the most important movie of the year? It's a movie I think will knock your socks off. It's so important I'm sending this request to all 6 million Care2 members. I'd like you to see the movie and then come back to Care2 and talk about it. A simple and fun request that I believe could help change the world.

The movie is called An Inconvenient Truth. It received standing ovations during its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, and Roger Friedman, the movie critic for Fox News said:

"Not to be missed. It doesn't matter whether you're a Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative... your mind will be changed in a nanosecond."
See the trailer » http://www.fandango.com/MoviePage.aspx?mid=95961
Find theater near you »
Join the conversation » http://www.care2.com/globalwarming/

It's an incredible look at the facts about global warming presented by former Vice President Al Gore. I know this sounds a little crazy: you could go see Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks, and I'm thinking you'd rather watch Al Gore?! Trust me, this is a movie that will leave you more stunned, with more to talk about around the water cooler than any other you'll see this year.

I thought I knew a lot about global warming, and frankly, that I had watched enough documentaries about it. But this is not a movie about some distant island nation getting submerged or endangered species in Africa dying off. And it's not about problems that will happen in 50 or 100 years. This is a stunning look at facts (that some folks don't want us to know about) that will shatter your image of what you thought "global warming" was and how it will affect you.

Be among the first to see it when it opens this week in NYC and LA, or during the next couple of weeks as it opens across the country. Bring your friends and family. This is an important movie you'll want them to see.

After the movie, join in the conversation at the global warming site on Care2 (http://www.Care2.com/globalwarming/) to talk about what we can do to help stop this crisis from happening. We'll have experts on hand to help answer your questions. We've also gathered together dozens of ideas for easy ways that you can make a difference.

Please join us.

Randy Paynter
Founder and President, Care2

p.s. I was fortunate enough to meet Al Gore a few weeks ago and see his incredible presentation on global warming. I told him Care2 members were changing the world and I was going to ask all 6 million of you to go watch this movie and become a powerful force for good in this campaign against global warming. Let's show him we care!

p.p.s. Here's what the critics are saying about An Inconvenient Truth

"One of the most important films ever. If this does not move you to change, nothing will."
— Larry King, CNN

"Made me want to buy a hybrid and shoot my old car, so no one else could drive it... Amazing and smartly done film."
— Bob Mondello, NPR

"This is activist cinema at its very best, for it serves to popularize and demythologize a problem long obscured by those most threatened by the solution. With humor and searing intelligence, Gore outlines crucial steps we must take to avert impending disaster and proves that inaction is no longer an option-in fact, it's immoral."
— Sundance Film Festival

"Not to be missed. It doesn't matter whether you're a Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative... your mind will be changed in a nanosecond."
— Roger Friedman, Fox News

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-25-2006 08:43 PM

"Al Gore drove in a car! His entire message is invalidated!"

-- Matt Drudge

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-25-2006 08:48 PM

LOL Matt Drudge opened his mouth - message invalidated. :D
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-25-2006 10:36 PM

Al Gore was by no means a faultless man --- he was so contaminated by his association with the Clintons that I voted for Nader in 2000 (after making sure, of course, that the Democrats would take New York's electoral votes) --- but he has redeemed himself in my eyes during the past six years. But the more that I see Al Gore in action, the more I realize that he embodies every last thing that mainstream Amerika despises. I would gladly vote for a chastened Gore in 2008, but I don't believe that he has a ghost of a chance to be nominated. Democrats would rather back that treacherous hag Hillary...

Amerika has the leadership that it deserves --- and that it wants. Things are now too far gone for it to matter who or even what sits in the Oval Office now. But I would still vote for Gore in 2008.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Lord Moon
Pirate

Thanks for the post..

Post by Lord Moon » 05-26-2006 12:35 AM

I plan on seeing this...

As for Al Gore, I think he has grown as a person during the Bush regime, and I believe that he could focus debate and provide leadership to a clueless Democratic party by challenging the regime, something the democratic party needs to do if it plans on being at all relevant in 2008..

As I've said before I could never vote for Hillary, I believe her to be the savior of the Neocon's because they know no one would be a better candidate for them to run against...

As Joe said I could vote for Gore, maybe he deserves a chance, simply because he did win the popular vote. I believe that if he did win in 2008, the intervening years have may have given him enough real world experience that he could overcome his tendency to be so "naive" about the other side, and have the potential to become a great president, neither on the right or the left but for everyone.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-29-2006 09:01 PM

Lord Moon, it is now uncontested knowledge that Al Gore won the Presidency of the United States in the Presidential Election of 2000, both in the popular vote and in the Electoral College, despite massive voter fraud in Florida. Gore decided not to fight in 2000 for what was rightfully his, and the Extreme Court awarded the Presidency to a corporate thief, a constitutional perjurer and a war criminal.

It is also coming close to becoming uncontested knowledge that, although Bush won the popular vote in the Presidential Election of 2004, Kerry probably lost the vote in the Electoral College because of massive voter fraud in Ohio. It's not presently uncontested knowledge, but it may be shortly, as officials in the Ohio State Government continue to be arrested on all sorts of charges, not least of which are voter fraud charges.

Bottom line: Bush was never ---- never --- the legally elected President of the United States, and his entire Administration, from the day that the Extreme Court handed the Presidency over to him to the day when he leaves office (whenever that may be and however that may be), is electorially invalid. All of it, Lord Moon. Every single moment of it!

Lord Moon
Pirate

Extreme court...

Post by Lord Moon » 05-29-2006 10:23 PM

I like that.....

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-31-2006 07:12 PM

An Inconvenient Truth received an impressive 90% on Rotten Tomatoes's Tomatometer and has grossed almost half a million dollars at the four American theaters where it was playing during its first week of release. But the Amerikan people in general do not want to see this film. They are too stupid to understand it, and besides, to be frank, they kinda like many of the short-term benefits of global warming.

To think that the narrator of this front-n-center film was the legitimately elected President of the United States in the year 2000 is enough to drive one mad. That the American people could have rejected such a person --- as they did even though he won the election --- for a despicable creature without any redeeming qualities like Dubya is God's final judgment on this doomed country!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inconvenient_truth/

(Incidentally, Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s article on the 2004 Election in the next issue of Rolling Stone magazine comes unprecedentedly close to proving that John Kerry won the 2004 Election in terms of the electoral vote, even though he lost the popular vote.)
Last edited by joequinn on 05-31-2006 07:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-06-2006 10:12 AM

"An Inconvenient Truth" opens in Royal Oak this Friday and it's creating a buzz across the country. Even though it was only open in 77 theaters, it ranked #9 on the list of movies people went to see last weekend and its per-theater average gross was higher than any other movie!1

I hope to see this movie as it is opening this Friday June 9th. right here in Royal Oak, Michigan. The Main Theater is a small theater that shows the unusual and controversial and is always jammed with lines around the corner, very similar to a Fine Arts theater.

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 06-06-2006 02:18 PM

Certified fresh by 89% of critics. - rotten tomatoes

CONSENSUS:
A powerful and informative documentary about one of today's most debated topics, presented by Al Gore with compelling scientific evidence.

"[Y]ou don't need to like Gore, or trust him, or even believe him to get a swift kick in the pants, one that'll scare the hell out of you..." - MaryAnn Johanson, FLICK FILOSOPHER

"... highly persuasive ..." - Kevin Crust, LOS ANGELES TIMES

"It will be interesting to watch how skeptics will deal with Gore’s bad news on the environment without making themselves look very small." - David Denby, NEW YORKER

4/4 "In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to." - Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

A- "An Inconvenient Truth can't, of course, reveal a future that is still up to us, but by the time you're done watching, the real question is, Which way on God's green earth would you want to err?" - Owen Gleiberman, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

"An excellent educational tool." - Dennis Harvey, VARIETY

"Al Gore brings his campaign to reverse global warming to the big screen in this vivid and vital activist movie." - Kirk Honeycutt, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

3.5/4 "Mandatory viewing regardless, much as an alarm clock must be heeded despite its annoying ring." - Peter Howell, TORONTO STAR

3/4 "Really two movies: a sobering lecture about a globe that's getting warmer and a profile of a leader whose career has always been hindered by his apparent lack of warmth." - J. R. Jones, CHICAGO READER

3/4 "Much of this material is familiar, but presented in total, over the course of 100 minutes, the impact is frightening." - Liam Lacey, GLOBE AND MAIL

4/4 "Brings a feeling of history: Virtually everyone who sees this movie will be galvanized to do something about global warming -- and everyone should see this movie." - Mick LaSalle, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

More here...
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

Barbie
Pirate

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by Barbie » 06-06-2006 03:06 PM

This was a bring-it-home-to-roost documentary. It just showed me why I've always known this was happening, even when I didn't understand all the feelings I had about what people were doing and allowing others to do to our environment.

And don't ANY of you buy into the next GREAT LIE, which may very well be, "Chemtrails (if not the full Salvation) will buy us time to think of something else." Most of us will be dead from Stratos-bacterium/Fungi-Lung Disease or premature senility from the Barium and Aluminum particulates, by then.

Chemtrails are like Chemotherapies--if they don't kill you, they'll weaken something else that will!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-06-2006 05:33 PM

Barbie, are you saying you saw it? If so, your personal reaction and the audience reaction, please? Did it bum you out? Did you find it convincing? Did you feel there is something you can do about it?

If you didn't see it yet, I hope we'll get answers to these questions from pirates as they do go see it.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-06-2006 07:12 PM

I can't wait to see this film, but what of it? It will be a box-office disaster. Why, you ask? Because the only thing more intensely repulsive to the 'Merikan sensibility than fag cowboys is rapidly melting glaciers!

God gave us this land to do whatever the hell we want with it, just as God made us man and woman to pop out as many of us as we feel like popping to do whatever the hell we want with it. And woe to anyone who tries to stop us on either count... Thus speaketh the 'Merikan kollektive unkonscious...

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-21-2006 10:09 PM

Just thought I'd bump this thread back up so I could say that there were 4 FREE showings of "An Inconvenient Truth" on my campus today in the ballroom at the student union. Corvid and I managed to catch the third showing of the day, and the ballroom (BIG place) was still packed.

They had two hour-long panel discussions with faculty and students about it today, too, but I wasn't able to attend either of those. They said before the film that the reason they were showing it for free was to encourage students to realize that they are not helpless and can take action. The panels were supposed to be about ways to take action, and there were information booths earlier in the day, but I was unable to visit any of those, either.

Just thought some here might be interested to know this happened.

The film was everything I hoped it would be... and more... it was awesome. And audience reaction was very, very good.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-21-2006 10:53 PM

Thank you Julie, I have to make it point to see it, won't put off any longer. Thank goodness we have Al Gore and hopefully it will be shown on campuses all over the country.

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”