What books are you reading ?

Moderator: Super Moderators

IvyQ
Pirate

Reaching to Heaven - A spiritual Journey Through Life and De

Post by IvyQ » 07-31-2007 06:09 PM

i just downloaded this book to my mp3 player to listen to at work later on in the week. i like James Van Praagh and also his show 'Ghost Whisperer'.

since Art is no longer broadcasting on a regular basis on C2C, i haven't anything to listen to at work besides the radio. i decided to turn to books on cd that are available through my library. just this morning i reserved all the Harry Potter series. i never seen any of the movies and i'm curious as to what all the hype is about. and i'm sure i'll enjoy them when they come in :)

Reaching to Heaven - A spiritual Journey Through Life and Death
by James Van Praagh

Professional medium James Van Praagh offers a guidebook for the living, which charts the course of the soul as it journeys through life, death, and rebirth. Beyond his psychic gifts, Van Praagh has a gift for simplifying complex spiritual ideas and writing about them in a conversational tone. Most appealing for Van Praagh fans are his detailed theories on death and the afterlife. For example, when people die sudden deaths, Van Praagh reports, spirits of the dead often linger over their bodies, unable to comprehend what has happened (but still able to see and hear everything that is being done and said around the corpse). This is why spirits of the already-deceased are so useful in helping the dead transition to the other side.

Speaking of the afterlife, or heaven, Van Praagh writes:

In the higher realms everyone is on the same level of spiritual understanding, like a symphony of beings in tune with one another. For some this may mean a reunion with members of their earth family. For others it could be a meeting with former friends and lovers from previous incarnations.

Finally, Van Praagh returns to his fascinating stories of channeling the deceased to illustrate how the living can stay on task with their raison d'être. If we want to help our souls along on their eternal journeys toward enlightenment, then we must remove the emotional obstacles that are blocking their paths, says Van Praagh, who devotes entire chapters to guilt, fear, forgiveness, and love. --Gail Hudson
Last edited by IvyQ on 07-31-2007 06:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Nightingale
Pirate

Post by Nightingale » 07-31-2007 06:15 PM

Ivy you will enjoy Reaching to Heaven, read it a few years back and have it in my collection.

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 07-31-2007 07:20 PM

Nightingale wrote: Ivy you will enjoy Reaching to Heaven, read it a few years back and have it in my collection.

thanks! i'm looking forward to listening to it.....

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 08-02-2007 08:24 AM

"In the Descent of Man Charles Darwin wrote only twice of "survival of the fittest" — but 95 times about love! 92 times about moral sensitivity. And 200 times about brain and mind"
http://www.online-literature.com/darwin/descent_man/

Capt Tuttle
Pirate

Post by Capt Tuttle » 08-04-2007 02:51 PM

Dune

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 08-04-2007 04:11 PM

Sand.

OOPS!! Thought this was the word association thread.

:D :D
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Capt Tuttle
Pirate

Post by Capt Tuttle » 08-04-2007 04:22 PM

:D

I used to avoid fiction, I spent time on math, physics, and engineering (still do)

Not long ago I decided to branch out a little - excercise that other side of my brain.

I've since been reading the classics
Hobbit, Lord of Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Earthsea Series and so on

I'm now on Dune

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 08-04-2007 08:52 PM

Good choices, Tuttle. :) I'm into biographies (a genre I was hooked on in my pre-teens, which is weird, I think). I always like to see how people handled life -- no matter how notable the person, they could not escape suffering and sadness.

One day I'll get back into fiction...set in England...which will always, always have a happy ending (one thing in life I can control).
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 08-05-2007 01:41 AM

Lives of the Planets Richard Corfield

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 08-06-2007 02:38 AM

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
by Max Brooks

"The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched firsthand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result." "Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War."--BOOK JACKET.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-23-2007 03:56 PM

Currenly reading Spiritwalker by Dr. Hank Wesselman

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-23-2007 05:24 PM

Just started: The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-23-2007 06:00 PM

Div tell us what The World Without Us is about, sounds like a world without humans.

feetsie
Pirate

Post by feetsie » 08-23-2007 06:14 PM

Divinorumus wrote: Just started: The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman.

Saw him interviewed on "The Daily Show" a few days ago. It sounded intriguing and I'm tempted to read it myself. Please give a review when you get a chance.

And Shirley - yes, it is about a world without humans.
God is

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-23-2007 06:25 PM

I just picked up a copy yesterday, and I just started reading it today. It's suppose to be about our impact upon Earth, and whether we would be missed or not if we suddenly disappeared, how earth would have been if we had never existed, what would happen upon Earth if we were suddenly wiped out, and how our infrastructure would collapse and vanish (what would happen to everything from buildings and copper pipes, to oil refineries and plastic bottles).

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”