What books are you reading ?

Moderator: Super Moderators

MentalMidget
Pirate

Post by MentalMidget » 03-14-2009 08:45 PM

Here's the one I have been using for the avatar:

From the cover:

Magi is the story of a man who believes that he understands the world he lives in and rejects ideas about “Alien Conspiracies”, and sets out to prove his own assumption that cattle mutilations in the Colorado Rockies are the actions of a secret government program that is testing biological agents for the development of weapons. His life converges with other people who are firmly entrenched in the world of alien/human interaction and his world view is changed forever as he comes face to face with this new reality that he stumbles upon. The complexity of the problem he discovers is that layers of covert groups are designed to watchdog each other and take necessary actions in order to maintain stability in a world that must be kept secret at all costs. Once he loses the simplicity of what he thought was once the world, he becomes caught between choices

Yet there are deeper insidious problems plaguing the world and these people in these various groups. It isn’t clear about who controls what, what the aliens want or even who they are. Why have they not annihilated us and why do they not help us? These ideas and more keep the players firmly locked in a Leontius’ Eyes syndrome, unable to tear their selves away and choose how to accept what is so blatantly obvious to the senses and the mind.

Out of a central incident arises a clarity of a different kind; that all have been drawn together at this moment to work in concert to support the stasis of this secret existence. The question remains as to whether it has all been a mass manipulation at the whim of a single entity, or if this has been necessary for the continued existence of mankind in general.
Life in and of itself is the one true miracle.

MentalMidget
Pirate

Post by MentalMidget » 03-15-2009 12:54 AM

MentalMidget wrote: Here's the one I have been using for the avatar:

From the cover:

Magi is the story of a man who believes that he understands the world he lives in and rejects ideas about “Alien Conspiracies”, and sets out to prove his own assumption that cattle mutilations in the Colorado Rockies are the actions of a secret government program that is testing biological agents for the development of weapons. His life converges with other people who are firmly entrenched in the world of alien/human interaction and his world view is changed forever as he comes face to face with this new reality that he stumbles upon. The complexity of the problem he discovers is that layers of covert groups are designed to watchdog each other and take necessary actions in order to maintain stability in a world that must be kept secret at all costs. Once he loses the simplicity of what he thought was once the world, he becomes caught between choices

Yet there are deeper insidious problems plaguing the world and these people in these various groups. It isn’t clear about who controls what, what the aliens want or even who they are. Why have they not annihilated us and why do they not help us? These ideas and more keep the players firmly locked in a Leontius’ Eyes syndrome, unable to tear their selves away and choose how to accept what is so blatantly obvious to the senses and the mind.

Out of a central incident arises a clarity of a different kind; that all have been drawn together at this moment to work in concert to support the stasis of this secret existence. The question remains as to whether it has all been a mass manipulation at the whim of a single entity, or if this has been necessary for the continued existence of mankind in general.

Here's the link:

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/It ... okid=60005

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-15-2009 12:59 AM

Thanks for the link MentalMidget, I am going to buy your book......great price also.:)

MentalMidget
Pirate

Post by MentalMidget » 03-15-2009 01:12 AM

I would be most honored, if you were to decide that you would like it personalized for you. It would be a one of one thing for you and my pleasure.

woohoo!

MentalMidget
Pirate

Post by MentalMidget » 03-21-2009 03:12 AM

Currently, I am reading the Federalist Papers.

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 03-29-2009 07:17 AM

Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion: Tesla, UFOs, and Classified Aerospace Technology
Dr Paul LaViolette - Bear & Company 978-1-59143-078-0 (September 2008)
http://www.etheric.com/LaVioletteBooks/ ... crets.html
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 04-16-2009 08:35 PM

Recommended with the companion DVD (expanded edition). :)

---

"The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne

Snip:

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly

Supporters will hail this New Age self-help book on the law of attraction as a groundbreaking and life-changing work, finding validation in its thesis that one's positive thoughts are powerful magnets that attract wealth, health, happiness... and did we mention wealth? Detractors will be appalled by this as well as when the book argues that fleeting negative thoughts are powerful enough to create terminal illness, poverty and even widespread disasters.

Product Description

Fragments of a Great Secret have been found in the oral traditions, in literature, in religions and philosophies throughout the centuries. For the first time, all the pieces of The Secret come together in an incredible revelation that will be life-transforming for all who experience it.

In this book, you'll learn how to use The Secret in every aspect of your life -- money, health, relationships, happiness, and in every interaction you have in the world. You'll begin to understand the hidden, untapped power that's within you, and this revelation can bring joy to every aspect of your life.

The Secret contains wisdom from modern-day teachers -- men and women who have used it to achieve health, wealth, and happiness. By applying the knowledge of The Secret, they bring to light compelling stories of eradicating disease, acquiring massive wealth, overcoming obstacles, and achieving what many would regard as impossible.

# Hardcover: 198 pages

# Publisher: Atria Books/Beyond Words (November 28, 2006)

# Language: English
. . .

2,373 Reviews

5 star:
(1,155)

4 star:
(314)

3 star:
(190)

2 star:
(160)

1 star:
(554)

. . .

# Amazon.com Sales Rank: #88 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books)

Popular in these categories:

#1 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Mental & Spiritual Healing

#1 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > New Thought

#1 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Occult
---

"The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne
racehorse

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-16-2009 09:34 PM

Bought this book last summer - at Kinko's of all places! Looked at the first couple chapters. May read it in earnest when I finish the three novels I am reading...

Wondering how it could be different from Deepak Chopra, Eckhart Tolle...Wayne Dyer, Joel Osteen... if it is.

Glad you mentioned The Secret, racehorse.

;)

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-16-2009 09:51 PM

I bought The Secret three times and have given it away all three time, maybe one day I will buy it again and read it.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 04-16-2009 10:33 PM

I read it a couple of years ago, but RAPTOR, by the late Gary Jennings, is a truly wild novel about the last days of the Western Roman Empire and its replacement by the Ostrogothic Kingdom of Italy!

Whoa mama! I would not have lasted more than than five minutes in that world! I would have been impaled on a stake as the very first order of business!

And the protagonist of RAPTOR is the wildest protagonist that I have ever met in a novel. But the choice succeeds, due to Jennings's genius. And what genius!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_(book)
Last edited by joequinn on 04-16-2009 10:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 05-13-2009 05:50 AM

Somehow I ended up reading The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe, or 'Gouty', as James Joyce called him. I was surprised how the sentiments of this work seemed to have influenced me in my youth, even though I never read it then. In any case I didn't shoot myself, as young Werther did, although there were moments.....Part of my motivation for reading it was to exorcise some lurking Romantic notions from the back of my mind.

Starry Night
Pirate

Post by Starry Night » 05-19-2009 11:28 PM

I picked up Whitley's 2012 in hardcover on the bargin rack for 6 bucks. I'm already into and enjoying it.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 05-20-2009 12:07 AM

I recently finished Eden's Outcasts, a Pulitzer Prize-winning double-bio of Louisa May Alcott and her father. It's a bit over 400 pages. They lived incredible lives in a fascinating time.

It has become one of my all-time favorite books. I originally checked it out at the library while looking for books on Thoreau, and found this gem. I ended up buying it because I wanted to take my time and really absorb all of it.

Joe, I think you especially would love the book. History (Civil War accounts are palpable), transcendentalism, Emerson, Thoreau, etc. Lots of it centers 'round your neck of the woods as well.
Last edited by HurricaneJoanie on 05-20-2009 12:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 06-03-2009 11:53 PM

Babylon’s Banksters The Alchemy of Deep Physics, High Finance, and Ancient Religion.
"Just an update for those who’ve been asking: Yes, I’ve completed my new book, and it is currently at the publisher’s headquarters and it is a book designed to tie-in with specific themes from my previous books, and especially those found in Nazi International, The Philosophers’ Stone, The Cosmic War, and as far back as The Giza Death Star trilogy. It will itself be the second in a “trilogy unitâ€￾ that began with The Philosophers’ Stone and that hopefully will be concluded with the book I’m currently writing and researching, provided I am able to complete my research!" Dr Joseph P Farrell
http://gizadeathstar.wordpress.com/2009 ... ublishers/

New Audio Files Available at the following link:
http://www.thebyteshow.com/JosephPFarrell.html
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 06-15-2009 12:03 PM

This is Home Now: Kentucky's Holocaust Survivors Speak by Arwen Donahue (Author), Rebecca Gayle Howell (Photographer), Doug Boyd (Preface), James C. Klotter (Preface), Terry Birdwhistell (Preface), Joan Ringelheim (Foreword)

(Kentucky Remembered: An Oral History Series)

(Hardcover)

Editorial Reviews

Review

"Until Donahue and Howell turned their recorders and cameras on these well-chosen survivors living in Kentucky, no one had taken the time to ask how these solitary transplants made new lives for themselves and their children in rural middle America. The stories and images reproduced in this book are both moving and arresting. We owe Donahue and Howell a great debt for rescuing them before they disappeared down the trapdoor of historical memory." (Lawrence N. Powell, author of Troubled Memory: Anne Levy, the Holocaust, and Dav )

Product Description

The term “Holocaust survivorsâ€￾ is often associated with Jewish communities in New York City or along Florida’s Gold Coast. Traditionally, tales of America’s Holocaust survivors, in both individual and cultural histories, have focused on places where people fleeing from Nazi atrocities congregated in large numbers for comfort and community following World War II. Yet not all Jewish refugees chose to settle in heavily populated areas of the United States.

In This Is Home Now: Kentucky’s Holocaust Survivors Speak, oral historian Arwen Donahue and photographer Rebecca Gayle Howell focus on overlooked stories that unfold in the aftermath of the Holocaust. They present the accounts of Jewish survivors who resettled not in major metropolitan areas but in southern, often rural, communities. Many of the survivors in these smaller communities did not even seek out the few fellow Jewish residents already there.

Donahue transcribes the accounts as she heard them, keeping true to the voices of those she interviewed. One of the survivors who shares her tale, Sylvia Green, describes the pain and desolation of her experiences in the Nazi death camps with a voice that reveals both her German-Polish heritage and her subsequent small-town life in Winchester, Kentucky. The Hungarian-born Paul Schlisser has an equally complex voice, a mix of phrases learned in the U.S. Army in Vietnam and regional speech patterns acquired in his adopted home near Fort Knox.

Donahue’s collection of voices, accompanied by Howell’s poignant photographs, identifies each storyteller as an American—and as a Kentuckian. Like many others of diverse backgrounds before them, Holocaust survivors joined the “melting potâ€￾ as a haven from the suffering in their native lands, but they eventually came to regard America as home. Although they speak of atrocities, most often experienced when they were children and unable to fully comprehend the situation, they also emphasize the comfort of acceptance—not just by Jewish communities but also by a state that has long equated “religionâ€￾ with Christianity alone. Kentucky is not known for its cultural and religious diversity, yet these stories reveal one of the many ways that the state has become home to a wide spectrum of immigrants—people who once were strangers but now are its own.
racehorse

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”