LOST ~ The Final Season ~ Destiny Found ~ EPISODE Discussion

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-24-2010 07:47 PM

Thanks for your post, Laura. I had to laugh at your last statement! That's quite a valid observation. :D ;)

I think it's great that you'd like to watch the show. And I agree that knowing the ending won't really spoil it for you. As with life, it's the journey that counts. :) I'll be doing an entire series rewatch at some point, so maybe we can do a discussion thread for those watching. Might be fun.

One thing I will say to you about it, though, is that I don't think you'll be able to watch just one a week. ;) If you have the ability to keep going, you WILL. We watched Season 1 on DVD and Season 2 wherever we could find it on the internet (then watched it live from Season 3 on). I remember we'd usually watch around 3 episodes in a sitting. It was hard not to want to know what happens next! It's like reading a really good book that you just don't want to put down, so you find yourself reading chapter after chapter after chapter. :D
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-24-2010 07:50 PM

Swerdloc wrote: Doc Jensen tells us his lengthy recap and exegesis of "The End" will be in two parts. Here's part one; he promises the second for tomorrow.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031346 ... 46,00.html

Can hardly wait for his second installment tomorrow!

I really liked this:
The sunken tragedy that was glimpsed in the season premiere was a lie — a clue to the unreality of the Sideways necropolis, the dead heart of a lame limbo.
I was trying to reconcile what this scene meant, and this totally makes sense to me.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-24-2010 07:57 PM

Final Lost-related tweets ("for a while," says Lindelof) from Carlton and Damon...

From Carlton Cuse:
Enjoy tonight. And thanks for all your love and support for the last six years. You've lifted us up. 5:00 PM May 23rd via Echofon

From Damon Lindelof:
Remember. Let go. Move on. I will miss it more than I can ever say. about 16 hours ago via TwitBird iPhone

And a final message from Jorge:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-24-2010 07:59 PM

Joolz wrote:

One thing I will say to you about it, though, is that I don't think you'll be able to watch just one a week. ;) If you have the ability to keep going, you WILL.

Hi Live. :)

I can attest that Joolz is right about this. I watched the first five seasons on DVD and the more you watch the more you want to and will. ;)

You would love "Lost". :)
racehorse

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-24-2010 09:06 PM

Here's an interesting take (actually posted right before the finale aired) about the Island as an axis-mundi and the story as a hero's journey: Lost---- > Axis Mundi
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 05-24-2010 09:16 PM

racehorse wrote: Hi Live. :)

I can attest that Joolz is right about this. I watched the first five seasons on DVD and the more you watch the more you want to and will. ;)

You would love "Lost". :)

I completely agree. This series was hands down the most brillant piece of writing on television. I am going to take a break and then start again at the beginning. Knowing what I know now I cannot wait to see how it all ties together. I "lost" faith a bit in whether the end would satisfy me. I even considered that the ending might seem contrived. I could not have been more wrong.
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-25-2010 10:11 AM

Joolz wrote: Here's an interesting take (actually posted right before the finale aired) about the Island as an axis-mundi and the story as a hero's journey: Lost---- > Axis Mundi

+100

We are all in the process of death and rebirth during our corporeal time. Lost showed us we all, even the most flawed of us, could have a hero's journey.;)
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-25-2010 01:27 PM

Psychicwolf wrote: +100

We are all in the process of death and rebirth during our corporeal time. Lost showed us we all, even the most flawed of us, could have a hero's journey.;)

I liked this one a lot, too, PW. As I recall, "Mother" even said the words: "birth, death, rebirth" when she was showing the "Light" to the boys in "Across the Sea." And the hero's journey is definitely something I always thought was a part of the story. It fits. But I really love how they left it all up to personal interpretation. Some people are seeing it like this, some are seeing the door to the light Christian opened as the gates of heaven, and so on. That's great, IMO. :)

ETA: Another thing I meant to mention that ties into this is the anagram from Season 5 we were given in "The Little Prince:" the name of the carpet cleaning company on the side of Ben's van, “Canton Rainier,” is an anagram for "reincarnation."
Last edited by Joolz on 05-25-2010 01:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 05-25-2010 02:16 PM

Years ago I read the Celestine Prophecy. I could not put it down and found myself reading it at ridiculous times of the day. When it was almost completed and that was 4:30 am, I had a most profound experience, as though I was witnessing the beginning of the world and saw it advance through all the ages to present time. All in a flash! I had a similar experience watching the last episode of LOST. When Christian told Jack that he too was infact dead I had an instant and personal connection to the story line. No I am not dead. But on a very personal level this tapped into my own thoughts and views of life after death. In a flash I knew exactly what it all meant but I would never be able to verbalize it. Polar bears? Who cares! In a supernatural, spiritual world like the island anything can happen. It does no good to question it. There are no answers. It just is.
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 05-25-2010 04:12 PM

Now here's the second part of Doc Jensen's analysis:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031346 ... 69,00.html
Anchors Aweigh

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-25-2010 08:29 PM

It's amazing to me that ABC had to clarify this, since it clearly was shown after the big L O S T boom, which, to me, indicated "THE END," but in case you're wondering whose idea that was, here it is:
'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images
May 25, 2010 | 3:09 pm

You know those Oceanic 815 plane crash images that ran after Jack's (Matthew Fox) eye closed and the "Lost" logo appeared on our TV screens? Some "Lost" fans and TV critics have wondered if they were a last Easter egg from the producers, a clue meant to lead us to conclude that no one survived Oceanic 815's crash landing — and therefore everything we've seen over the last six years never really happened.

Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

That means, Losties, that we were not supposed to think that Christian Shepherd (John Terry) is a liar. What Christian told his son, when they were reunited at the church, should serve as guidance for our interpretation of the series' ending.

So let's review: Christian told Jack that he was dead and everyone else in the church was too — some had died before Jack, as we already knew, and some died long after. The sideways flashes then were a step in everyone's after-lives, a way to reconnect before moving on permanently. While there still may be unanswered questions related to that religious and spiritual conclusion to the "Lost" story, the photographs were really just a nostalgic, transitional touch added by ABC executives — and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

Love or hate it, that's the final answer.

— Maria Elena Fernandez

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... mages.html
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-25-2010 09:03 PM

This was fun to play! How well do you know your 'Lost' trivia?

'LOST' Trivia Game (at The People's Choice website)

I got 32 out of 34 correct (and I think one is a trick question ;) ).

Have fun!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-25-2010 09:33 PM

30 of 34.
racehorse

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-26-2010 01:31 AM

racehorse wrote: 30 of 34.

Not bad! (Did you think that one answer was a trick answer, too?)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 05-26-2010 01:34 AM

Hey, I just watched a video of a Q & A session with Kristin Dos Santos ("Watch with Kristen" at EW) in which she said that MIB really DID have a name. They just didn't write any dialogue revealing it because they decided they liked him better nameless and mysterious. But he was named in the scripts. So, are ya ready? Wanna know? ---> Samuel
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”