LOST ~ The Final Season ~ Destiny Found ~ EPISODE Discussion

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-08-2010 01:26 AM

Saharaka wrote: Widmore told him he had to make a sacrifice and he (Des) was key to everything. So I would not rule out his death. Perhaps the change in his demeanor is due to his epiphany after they blasted him w/emg energy. Maybe the epiphany is that he can only be w/Penny if he goes back!Just thinking out loud here and typing one handed!
Oh, I agree. I wouldn't rule anything out, either. I just thought that IF he is a major player, a KEY -- and I think (have always thought) he is -- then killing him off when there's still more than a third of the season left (7 more hours to fill) would not be something the writers (Cuse & Lindelof this time) would do just yet. If he is that important, then his story can't be done just yet. He may yet die, though...

Maybe Widmore is wrong about what Des must do. Maybe Des now knows more than Charles Widmore ever thought about knowing. heh ;) I do think Des now knows what he has to do, but perhaps, it won't be what anyone else thinks it should be. Des was never one to "play by the rules." He is always rebelling against what someone else thinks he is 'supposed' to do. Maybe this time, his willfulness will be everyone's salvation. We shall see...

BTW, I really liked Doc Jensen's theory about the merging of Island and ALT consciousnesses. That was one thing that fit well with what I've been thinking after viewing this episode.

Still haven't rewatched yet. Maybe I can get to it Friday or Saturday night... there are a few things I want to watch out for this time, like, for instance, those brooches Eloise is wearing.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-08-2010 02:28 AM

There are reports of scheduling changes. I posted the updated schedule info here: showthread.php?s=&postid=632561#post632561
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-08-2010 09:49 PM

QUESTION: Why do we know nothing about Desmond's childhood, his parents, his family?

I can't think of another major character--who is supposed to be from our historical age anyhow--about whom we know next to nothing regarding their background.

Jack: We've met his parents.
Kate: We've met her parents.
Sawyer: We haven't met them, but we know who his parents were.
Hurley: We've met his parents.
Locke: We've met his parents.
Sayid: We've met his father and his brother (don't think we've met his mom?).
Jin: We've met his parents.
Sun: We've met her parents.
Claire: We've met her parents.
Charlie: We've met his parents, and his brother.
Ben: We've met his parents.
Juliet: We've met her parents, and her sister.
Miles: We've met his parents.
Daniel: We've met his parents.
Boone & Shannon: We know who their parents are.
Eko: We've met his brother.
Ana Lucia: We've met her mother.
Penny: We've met her father.

Desmond: Nothing.

And then, there's Richard: We didn't meet his parents, but we did learn about his background and met his wife--and he is from a different age.

And Jacob and MIB: We know nothing about their pasts, either, but they are also from a different historical period (I would assume anyhow).

Charlotte and Frank: We don't know anything much about their families, either, but I don't consider them to be MAJOR characters.

So, I wonder what's up with that. Why don't we know anything about Desmond's childhood or parentage?

This could mean nothing at all, but I find it curious. We only know Desmond as a man, as an adult, and have never been shown a single thing about his family.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 04-08-2010 10:44 PM

Great and astute observation, Joolz. We really don't know anything at all about Desmond's early background and that is strange considering that we do about most of the other characters. We do know at least one of Charlotte's parents worked for the Dharma Initiative and she was on the island as a child and from what she has said may have been born on the island (as was Ethan whose parents we also know). We don't know about Libby's parents either or nearly as much as I would have liked to but unfortunately she was not really given the time or opportunity to develop as others were. I really didn't expect we would meet either Rose or Bernard's parent's so that does not surprise me. Not knowing much about Desmond is a real curiosity and may be significant as he is a very major character and the only one we do not. It definitely is something which should be carefully considered as we theorize the multiple possibilities to all of our unanswered questions in advance of the conclusion of our incredible ride.
racehorse

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 12:52 AM

Thanks for posting that about Charlotte. You're right. I thought about that after I posted, but didn't have time to come back and add that. :)

Agreed about Rose and Bernard. Their parents' identities don't seem all that significant.

Ethan -- yes, we even know his parents.

And Libby. :( I wish we'd known her better, too.

The furthest back I can remember them showing us of Desmond's past was when he was engaged to that young woman with whom he broke the engagement -- to go become a monk, as I recall? It's just plain odd that we don't know more.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 01:33 AM

Another character who seems to have emerged as "key" in this episode is Eloise (I suppose she is Eloise Widmore now, not Hawking). How and why does Eloise know so much? Why did she take Desmond aside to scold him and tell him what he was doing (seeking Penny, I assume?) was a "violation"? A violation of what? The "rules"? Whose rules are these anyhow? Are they the same rules Jacob, Ben, the golden boy in the woods, et al, keep referring to?

She came off as some sort of time lord. Very bizarre.

So, do you think she is benevolent (which is what I've always assumed up until now)? OR is she in this for herself? Does she want Desmond to STOP (as she said) because she doesn't want him to mess up the nice, neat world where she can have her son back (and Charles, too)? Is she, like I believe Desmond now is, aware of both timelines IN each timeline?

Annnnd... how is all of this going to tie in with the Jacob/MIB storyline? Surely it must, else nothing will make ANY sense whatsoever. :eek: :D :p :cool:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 01:56 AM

I'm curious... How do you rank the episodes so far this season? Which are your favorites and least favorites? Here's my list:

1. Happily Ever After (6.11 - Desmond)
2. Ab Aeterno (6.09 - Richard)
3. LA X (6.01-6.02 - Multi)
4. The Substitute (6.04 - Locke)
5. Dr. Linus (6.07 - Ben)
6. The Lighthouse (6.05 - Jack)
7. Sundown (6.06 - Sayid)
8. Recon (6.08 - Sawyer)
9. The Package (6.10 – Sun & Jin)
10. What Kate Does (6.03 – Kate)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 02:12 AM

And just for fun...

Eloise and her mysterious pins:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 02:13 AM

Close-up of the pins:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 02:15 AM

Related? Note the marks on the computer screen (this is at the Lamp Post station under the church) that denote various "locations" of the Island.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 02:16 AM

Also related? Juliet's brand (remember that way back when in that ill-fated Jack episode "Stranger in a Strange Land"?):
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 02:42 AM

Here's something else people are going on about (Doc Jensen even mentioned it): If, as we learned in "Happily ever After," ALT Desmond is a single man, then why was he apparently wearing a wedding ring in "LA X"??? (Production error? or clue?)

What do you think? Is this a wedding ring on Des' finger?
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-09-2010 02:43 AM

Close-up of Desmond's hand (and the supposed ring):
Image Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 04-09-2010 11:16 AM

Joolz wrote: Another character who seems to have emerged as "key" in this episode is Eloise (I suppose she is Eloise Widmore now, not Hawking). How and why does Eloise know so much? Why did she take Desmond aside to scold him and tell him what he was doing (seeking Penny, I assume?) was a "violation"? A violation of what? The "rules"? Whose rules are these anyhow? Are they the same rules Jacob, Ben, the golden boy in the woods, et al, keep referring to?

She came off as some sort of time lord. Very bizarre.

So, do you think she is benevolent (which is what I've always assumed up until now)? OR is she in this for herself? Does she want Desmond to STOP (as she said) because she doesn't want him to mess up the nice, neat world where she can have her son back (and Charles, too)? Is she, like I believe Desmond now is, aware of both timelines IN each timeline?

Annnnd... how is all of this going to tie in with the Jacob/MIB storyline? Surely it must, else nothing will make ANY sense whatsoever. :eek: :D :p :cool:

Eloise is a fascinating figure. I have never been particularly fond of her, mainly because her personality is not one that appeals to me (at all). Still, I believe she is benevolent and it is vital that (like Richard) her counsel be followed. The consequences of not doing so could well I feel be catastrophic.

As for the tie-in with Jacob and the Man in Black, I have suspected for awhile now that her knowledge may be (like Richard's eternal youth) "a gift" from Jacob. The Eloise we met as a teenager seems very unlikely to me to ever acquired her advanced scientific and mystical knowledge in other ways. I think she is likely playing a pivotal and probably decisive role in "the war" over the island and the futures of those connected to it.
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 04-09-2010 11:29 AM

Joolz wrote: I'm curious... How do you rank the episodes so far this season? Which are your favorites and least favorites?
1. Ab Aeterno (6.09 - Richard)
2. Dr. Linus (6.07 - Ben)
3. The Substitute (6.04 - Locke)
4. Happily Ever After (6.11 - Desmond)
5. LA X (6.01-6.02 - Multi)
6. The Lighthouse (6.05 - Jack)
7. Recon (6.08 - Sawyer)
8. What Kate Does (6.03 – Kate)
9. The Package (6.10 – Sun & Jin)
10. Sundown (6.06 - Sayid)
racehorse

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”