'The Walking Dead' Premieres on AMC Sunday, October 31 (Hall

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

'The Walking Dead' Premieres on AMC Sunday, October 31 (Hall

Post by Joolz » 10-19-2010 04:38 AM

I'm starting a thread for this show because I think there may be enough interested Pirates to warrant a discussion thread.

I'll be honest and say I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the gore... but I've read in several reviews that, while it's obviously horror and based in a series of horror comics, it's actually a character-driven drama dealing with themes of survival in the face of a horrible disaster, and that sounds interesting, possibly even compelling in a dramatic sense.

It also has an excellent behind-the-scenes pedigree. (See below for more on that...) For instance, the showrunner is Frank Darabont. Did you like The Shawshank Redemption? How about The Green Mile? Those are both Darabont films. ETA: Oh yeah, and the score is composed by Bear McCreary. Can't get much better than that (he did BSG's awesome music).

And it IS showing on AMC, which airs some of the BEST shows on television today: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Rubicon, each of which ranks high on my list of favorite shows. I trust AMC to give me quality.

So. I'm determined to give this show a chance.

To that end, I've dug up all the info I can find about it and will be depositing it here on this thread. If you find something to add to the mix, please do so!

And if you're interested in watching, post up and we'll watch it together. :)
Last edited by Joolz on 10-19-2010 04:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-19-2010 04:39 AM

The Walking Dead
premieres with a 90-minute episode
on Halloween night: Sunday, October 31st
at 10/9c on AMC.

The Walking Dead is an epic, edge-of-your-seat drama where personal struggles are magnified against a backdrop of moment-to-moment survival. A survivalist story at its core, the series explores how the living are changed by the overwhelming realization that those who survive can be far more dangerous that the mindless walkers roaming the earth. They themselves have become the walking dead. (Source: AMC)

Waking up in an empty hospital after weeks in a coma, County Sheriff Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) finds himself utterly alone. The world as he knows it is gone, ravaged by a zombie epidemic. The Walking Dead, based on Robert Kirkman’s hugely successful and popular comic book series of the same name, tells the story of the weeks and months that follow after the apocalypse. The series is shot on 16mm film on location in Atlanta, Georgia. (Source: AMC) Scenes from the pilot were screened July 23, 2010 as part of the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con International. (Source: Wiki pedia)

The first season premieres during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films, and will consist of six episodes. On August 31, 2010, Darabont reported that The Walking Dead had been picked up for a second season, with production to begin in February 2011. However, AMC wants "to dispel the rumor that The Walking Dead has been renewed for Season 2, as that is not the case yet." In addition to the rumor, according to producer Gale Anne Hurd, all future seasons will be thirteen episodes long. Darabont, who wrote and directed the pilot, spoke of his plans to introduce fan favorite Michonne early on in the second season's run. He would also like to include some of the "environmental elements" that take place during Volume 2 of Kirkman's book. (Source: Wiki pedia)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-19-2010 04:42 AM

Executive Producers:
Frank Darabont – Showrunner: Creator, Executive Producer, Writer, Director
(screenwriter/director of The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile [also producer], three-time Academy Award nominee)
Gale Ann Hurd
(screenwriter/producer of The Terminator, Aliens)
Robert Kirkman
(creator of The Walking Dead comic book series upon which the show is based)
David Alpert
(manager of Circle of Confusion production company)
Charles “Chic” Eglee
(Dexter, The Shield)

[color= olive]Co-Executive Producer:[/color]
Jack LoGiudice
(Sons of Anarchy, Resurrection Blvd)

[color= olive]Producer:[/color]
Denise Huth
(Stephen King’s The Mist)

[color= olive]Writers:[/color]
Frank Darabont
Charles “Chic” Eglee
Jack LoGiudice
Robert Kirkman
Glen Mazzara
Adam E. Fierro

[color= olive]Directors:[/color]
Frank Darabont
Michelle MacLaren
Gwyneth Horder-Payton
Johan Renck
Ernest Dickerson
Guy Ferland

[color= olive]Original Score Composed by:[/color]
Bear McCreary
(Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Eureka, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles)

[color= olive]Cinematography:[/color]
David Tattersall and David Boyd

[color= olive]Production Design:[/color]
Greg Melton and Alex Hadju

[color= olive]Costume Design:[/color]
Peggy Stamper

[color= olive]Editing:[/color]
Hunter M. Via, Julius Ramsay and Sidney Wolinsky

[color= olive]Special Effects Makeup:[/color]
Gregory Nicotero

[color= olive]Special Effects Coordinator:[/color]
Darrell Pritchett

[color= olive]Visual Effects Supervisor:[/color]
Sam Nicholson

[color= olive]Main Characters/Cast:[/color]
[color= olive]Rick Grimes[/color] – played by Andrew Lincoln (Teachers, Love Actually)
[color= olive]Shane Walsh[/color] – played by John Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer)
[color= olive]Lori Grimes[/color] – played by Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break)
[color= olive]Andrea[/color] – played by Laurie Holden (The Shield, Stephen King’s The Mist)
[color= olive]Dale[/color] – played by Jeffrey DeMunn (Stephen King’s The Mist, The Green Mile)
[color= olive]Glen[/color] – played by Steven Yeun (The Big Bang Theory)
[color= olive]Amy[/color] – played by Emma Bell (The Bedford Diaries)
[color= olive]Carl Grimes[/color] – played by Chandler Riggs (Get Low)

[color= olive]Supporting Characters/Cast:[/color]
[color= olive]Lambert "Lam" Kendell[/color] – played by Jim Coleman
[color= olive]Leon Basset[/color] – played by Linds Edwards
[color= olive]Tyreese[/color] – played by Keith Allen Hayes
[color= olive]Morgan Jones[/color] – played by Lennie James
[color= olive]Carol[/color] – played by Melissa Suzanne McBride
[color= olive]Ed[/color] – played by Adam Minarovich
[color= olive]Morales[/color] – played by Juan Gabriel Pareja
[color= olive]Daryl Dixon[/color] – played by Norman Reedus
[color= olive]Merle Dixon[/color] – played by Michael Rooker
[color= olive]Jim[/color] – played by Andrew Rothenberg
[color= olive]Jacqui[/color] – played by Jeryl Prescott Sales
[color= olive]T-Dog[/color] – played by Iron E. Singleton
[color= olive]Duane Jones[/color] – played by Adrian Kali Turner
[color= olive]Walker[/color] – played by Alexyz Danine Kemp
[color= olive]Sophia[/color] – played by Madison Lintz
[color= olive]Miranda[/color] – played by Viviana Chavez
[color= olive]Eliza[/color] – played by Maddie Lomax
[color= olive]Louis[/color] – played by Noah Lomax

[color= olive]Zombies:[/color]
Derrick McLeod
Kristen Sanchez
Erin Leigh Bushko
Sonya Thompson
Steve Warren
Christopher Vogt
Scott M. Yaffee
Shannon Brinson
Carl Cunningham
Joe Giles
Brian Stretch

(Sources for all info listed above: AMC, Wiki pedia, and IMdb)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-19-2010 04:44 AM

[color= olive]Season 1 Episode List:[/color]

Episode 1: [color= olive]“Days Gone By”[/color]
Writer: Frank Darabont
Director: Frank Darabont
Air Date: October 31, 2010 (Hallowe’en)

Episode 2: [color= olive]“Guts”[/color]
Writer: Frank Darabont
Director: Michelle MacLaren
Air Date: November 7, 2010

Episode 3: [color= olive]“Tell It to the Frogs”[/color]
Writers: Frank Darabont, Charles “Chic” Eglee and Jack LoGiudice
Director: Gwyneth Horder-Payton
Air Date: November 14, 2010

Episode 4: [color= olive]“Vatos”[/color]
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Director: Johan Renck
Air Date: November 21, 2010

Episode 5: [color= olive]“Wildfire”[/color]
Writer: Glen Mazzara
Director: Ernest Dickerson
Air Date: November 28, 2010

Episode 6: [color= olive]“TS-19”[/color]
Writer: Adam E. Fierro
Director: Guy Ferland
Air Date: December 5, 2010

(Sources for info listed above: Wiki pedia and IMdb)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-31-2010 04:26 PM

* Bumping this thread up as a reminder...

This show premieres TONIGHT.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 10-31-2010 05:04 PM

Thanks for the bump Joolz because I did forget :)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-31-2010 08:04 PM

You're welcome! :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-31-2010 08:19 PM

Here's something fun at AMC's site for the show:

What kind of survivor would you be...
after the apocalypse?

The Walking Dead Survival Test

(Choose quickly! It's a timed test...)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-31-2010 08:21 PM

Here's my score:

YOUR SURVIVAL SKILLS RANK YOU AS A
NAURAL LEADER

You’re likeable and resourceful, so others tend to follow
you even when they’re not sure you’re right. (Truth be
told, you’re not always sure either.) Coolheaded and
fair, you have an innate humanity – as well as good
marksmanship – that serves you well in tough times.
Fiercely protective of your family, you will do anything to
keep them safe. But attempting to keep hope alive in
the face of unending death and cruelty is beginning to
wear on you, and you’re beginning to fear you’re losing
your humanity. How long can you hang onto your old
self?
Last edited by Joolz on 10-31-2010 10:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-01-2010 02:49 AM

We just finished watching the premiere episode, and I have to say... I really liked it. It was really good, as I expected. It wasn't just gratuitous guts and gore. If there could be such a thing as a sensitive treatment of the subject of zombies, well, that's what this seemed like to me. This is a tale of apocalypse, a human disaster caused by a virus. As such, it's a tale of survival. Well done. (The only part I didn't like was the horse. :( But I get it.)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-01-2010 06:46 AM

Alan Sepinwall has a review up:

'The Walking Dead' - 'Days Gone Bye': The never-ending nightmare begins

There's also a general review of the series (he's seen a few episodes already) that he posted on Friday:

Review: AMC's 'The Walking Dead'
Going into the show as someone without deep affection for either the genre or the source material, I still found myself riveted by the pilot episode, which will air in a 90-minute timeslot on Halloween. Written and directed by Darabont, it’s a master class in suspense filmmaking, of dread and atmosphere and grief.
And here's Maureen Ryan's general series review:

'The Walking Dead' Review: A Zombie Tale Made with Brains
Yet there's very little overkill in 'The Walking Dead'; Darabont knows that the way to induce dread is by making you wonder what lurks around the corner. And the fear here is tinged with melancholy; like 'Breaking Bad,' the visually striking 'Walking Dead' knows how to use space to indicate loneliness and isolation.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-01-2010 06:54 AM

OT: Oh, and just an aside: If you watch HBO's 'Boardwalk Empire,' (what a fabulous show!) be sure to check out Sepinwall's excellent review of last night's episode of that show while you're there. There should be a link to that review somewhere on the page I linked above.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-01-2010 11:40 AM

Recorded it last night so I can watch tonight, I am backed up on The Event and the Vampire Diaries too ! LOL Need more TV time I guess :)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-01-2010 03:48 PM

OMG! Ratings for this show were (for a cable show) through the roof!

5.3 million!

From TV by the Numbers (their headline today):
New York, NY – November 1, 2010 – Last night’s premiere of AMC’s original series, “The Walking Dead” resulted in a 3.7 HH rating netting over 5.3 total million viewers making it the largest audience for any original series on the network. The Adults 18-49 demo garnered 3.6 million viewers making it the highest delivery for any cable series premiere for 2010.

Key Ratings Highlights for The Walking Dead:
  • 10pm airing – 3.7 HH rating with 5.3 million total viewers;
  • 10 pm, 11:30 pm and 1am airings – Cumed to a 6.0 HH rating with 8.1 million viewers;
  • Adults 25-54 – 3.1 million viewers;
  • Adults 18-34 – 2.1 million viewers.
“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with ‘The Walking Dead’ to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“’The Walking Dead’ is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what’s coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live ‘The Walking Dead’,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

AMC’s first wholly-owned original production, “The Walking Dead” premiered globally on October 31 through an unprecedented partnership with AMC and Fox International Channels. Similar to a theatrical film release, all Fox International Channels are launching the premiere episode this week, resulting in the series’ debuting in 120 countries and in 33 languages.

The Walking Dead premiered as part of AMC FEARFEST, the most highly anticipated horror movie marathon of the Halloween season. The network’s two-week marathon featured nearly 300 hours of horror-themed programming, including more than 60 films. The marathon aired October 18 through October 31, culminating with the 90-minute world premiere of “The Walking Dead.”

“The Walking Dead” is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Today’s announcement also includes the addition of Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) as Executive Producer.

“The Walking Dead” tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home. The comic goes on to explore the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies who take a toll on the survivors, and sometimes the interpersonal conflicts present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies that roam the country. Over time, the characters are changed by the constant exposure to death and some grow willing to do anything to survive.

“The Walking Dead” received rave reviews from countless critics, who heralded the series as “visually stunning…and daring in its artful use of silence” (TV Guide), “…breathtaking in its small moments, in which the pain and glory of being human are conveyed with only the flick of a filmmaking wrist.” (Wall Street Journal), “…evocative, suspenseful” (Boston Globe) “…surprisingly scary and remarkably good” (The New York Times) “…a triumph of tone and mood” (Contra Costa Times) and “a real achievement for a horror show on a basic-cable network” (Rolling Stone). In addition, “The Walking Dead” received “4 Stars” from People and “3 Stars” from the New York Daily News and New York Post, among other outlets.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-01-2010 03:55 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Recorded it last night so I can watch tonight, I am backed up on The Event and the Vampire Diaries too ! LOL Need more TV time I guess :)

Hopefully, you can get to it really soon. It's well worth finding the time to watch. (Check out what I posted above!)

And anyone else reading here... if you were interested enough to click on this thread, then, get thee to ITunes if you didn't see this last night! Even if you don't think you like 'zombie stuff,' you may actually like this. A lot. There's a LOT more to it than your typical campy zombie flick. This is a disaster story, a tale about surviving a horrible apocalypse. I liked it MUCH more then I thought I would.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”