Should Paula Get A Break?

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Should Paula Get A Break?

Post by voguy » 06-29-2013 07:26 PM

I find it interesting how they are crucifying Paula Deen, yet Alex Balwin just went on a series of rants more offensive (and present) than Deen.

There there's this gem from north of the boarder. I guess he has nothing to lose other than people calling him a hoser when he shows up at Tim Horton's.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-29-2013 11:14 PM

I have to tell you personally I find it interesting how offended folks are with that word and yet how comfortable they are with other words.

I think on this forum I spelled out the N word and it was revised and abbreviated, yet the F word is on this forum - I believe.

If I am wrong I apologize for incorrect information and I am only writing this now as it is as thou the N word uttered is the worse thing which can happen UNLESS it is uttered by another black individual. This is where I find the hypocrisy laughable.

Then we get back to Bill Maher and calling Sarah Palin the C word and apparently the "gals" were not offended by that because of course they hate her too so it's ok.

I would bet $1,000 dollars Paula Deen has helped many a down and out individual and I bet some have been black. I doubt very seriously PD is a racist but if saying that word makes one a racist then we have lots of black folks who fall in to that category.

Yes I think she deserves a break and in fact I am sure she has probably been getting her brother out of scrapes her entire life and if she has learned anything about this it is to let him make his own way.
A man's character is his fate

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-29-2013 11:46 PM

I believe it to be hypocrisy at its finest. And in the same category as Apple, which is being hacked away at. A few more of these "witch hunts" and I will have no doubt about what is going on.

Sara, The Travon Martin case. These people are so demonized, it is scary.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-30-2013 01:43 AM

I'd say public crucifixion for use of racial epithets in the past is disproportionate as retribution befitting the crime - Especially when the possibility of NO corresponding punishment for a present day corporal attack exists, as had been briefly so in the case of an incident involving a saxophonist outside Summerfest this week -

When three women approached her, loudly insisting "Minnie the Moocher" was a song white girls ought not play, after pushing away a woman that slapped her, another punched her in the face twice. The musician's claim the confrontation was racially motivated was originally dismissed by authorities, but after re-interviewing her police have added her statements to the responding officer's narrative and to the assault and battery citation.

Yes, hateful names hurt. But IMHO, what happened in Milwaukee was an offense no less meant to bring on pain! One might well wonder if an official follow-up was forthcoming had the story NOT become a hot radio talk topic...

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-30-2013 08:43 AM

I find it interesting that a white lady says the "N" word 20+ years ago and is a terrible person, yet I hear blacks say "What's up n___?" when they meet each other. I was told once that it was permissible for a black person to say the word, but a white person could not.

Standing up to this hypocrisy is hard because we have too many spineless jellyfish who are too timid to tell these idiots to be quiet. And we have a system which rewards the whiners and boobs in this world.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-01-2013 05:38 AM

voguy wrote: I find it interesting that a white lady says the "N" word 20+ years ago and is a terrible person, yet I hear blacks say "What's up n___?" when they meet each other. I was told once that it was permissible for a black person to say the word, but a white person could not.

Saw this first hand back in the late 70s with a couple that I was stationed with outside of Omaha. They were married - he was originally from Texas and she was from Mississippi. Between themselves and with other black individuals, use of the word was perfectly permissible, but let a non-black person say the exact same word, and it was as if you stabbed their grandmother. We got along well, except for that, which, as a Yankee, I couldn't understand....... but then again, I didn't have their life experiences either. I find many people are super-sensitive. As well as super-selective, in their anger.

At times like this, I like to ponder George Carline's "7 words" piece.......

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-01-2013 10:50 AM

words come into taboo and out...

Many of my favourite authors used that term extensively as it was not a taboo word at the time.

Dio, I believe F!@# and N!@#$$ are the only two banned words here, although I just left the settings as-is from previously.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-01-2013 10:51 AM

However, that being said, I don't think this person deserves any special attention, she is just an actor on TV. Who really cares? Not me.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 07-02-2013 03:18 AM

Diogenes wrote: I have to tell you personally I find it interesting how offended folks are with that word and yet how comfortable they are with other words.
YES......

SHE SAID THIS 40 BLASTED YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!

The level of P.C. in this country is insane!!!!!!!!!

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-05-2013 01:07 PM

I have been trying to find out what the heck this was all about. Not an easy task as it turns out, Mainstream seems to be really "jaded" what a surprise. But I did find this. It appears to me that the whole thing "stinks" to hi-heaven.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2013 ... assertions
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

LisaA
Pirate

Should she? Or...

Post by LisaA » 07-05-2013 04:44 PM

Should we be asking accusers, What are you trying to do in making this statement?

Somebody's got an ax to grind. I don't want to grind that ax.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-05-2013 05:30 PM

She's a southerner, with old time southern actions. The statement was decades ago. But she's convenient to go after right now by a flock of cowards hiding and throwing stones. It's just another case of mean girls going after someone for a sport.

IF this was really about language and offense, then the accusers should open their 2-3 decades of history for all to see. The problem is, all of them have something to hide. And they use the race card very conveniently to protect them from scrutiny.

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Should she? Or...

Post by Riddick » 07-05-2013 07:29 PM

LisaA wrote: Somebody's got an ax to grind. I don't want to grind that ax.
Grinding's no good unless the ax gets action at least once in awhile - putting on public displays is a way to say 'This can happen to YOU' - Look at it as a community service that helps to beautify America...

Whereas racism is ugly heads on sticks are a delight, knowhutImean?

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-05-2013 07:41 PM

The Accuser Lisa Jackson is white. Paula offered way too much information, a little on the naive side I would say. :facepalm:

http://www.eonline.com/news/436227/paul ... sa-jackson
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-05-2013 10:45 PM

Paula Deen Cookbooks Flying Off The Shelves After Scandal

What's up with THAT? Really. Embracing collections of recipes from a racist is so unseemly...

Shouldn't we be seeing book burnings instead?

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”