Informed and cynical
50%
It's possible to be informed and blissful
38%

Total votes: 8

SquidInk

Ignorance is bliss?

Post by SquidInk » 01-22-2014 05:51 PM

There's some truth to the adage that "ignorance is bliss", right? Can you pin-point something (or a list of things) that you have read, or otherwise experienced which left you less ignorant, and robbed you of a measure of bliss you would rather have back?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-23-2014 01:34 AM

While it was a pretty big blow in my youth to discover pro-wrestling is fake? It helped towards creating a healthy skepticism and critical eye towards the entire system and culture we live in...

As it is, I can't help but see similarities between pro-wrestling AND most everything we read, see or hear in the major media nowadays!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-23-2014 12:08 PM

I think that what did it for me was the 60s and 70s with the assassinations, government spying, Vietnam War, COINTELPRO/ MK-ULTRA and all that sorta related stuff. This isn't what government is supposed to be about.

The more I learned about the revolving door from government to big business and back to government and the selling of the government - racking-up debt while large corporations skip much of their responsibilities (assisted by an all-too-willing government), I've learned that our government is no longer our friend.

Oh, sure, there are those who "work in government" that are great people. But the system - and what is has becomes as compared to what our country's founders envisioned is a shame and an embarrassment.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-23-2014 12:51 PM

I do believe that one can be informed and blissful. I can only draw from my own experience though. And you can be sure that I have to go through stages to get there, about some things. I have been taught that anything that cause's me emotional pain, should be let go of ,if it cannot be corrected by me, it is a great goal, but not always a quick deal and the fact that I am a born cynic. It is always, the lack of "Power", that causes me the grief. It is the physical equivalent to removing a splinter from my own foot. Once you have experienced "Peace of Mind" you just want more of it. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-23-2014 04:15 PM

Although things I know make me sad sometimes I can achieve somewhat normal life by enjoying small things. The big things are broken, and I'll try and fix them where I can, but the little world I directly control is enough to live and be happy for.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-24-2014 04:51 PM

This is great feedback. I appreciate every comment.

I was approached by a young female (~18), the daughter of a friend, who asked me how to go about some "serious" reading. She asked if she could borrow my copy of Camus' L'Étranger. I think my soul winced a little.

After a pause I said I would have to dig it out (not true), that it wasn't a good starting point for her anyway, but that I would have a reading strategy for her this week (she is currently paralyzed on one side and *very* bored).

In thinking about this, I am hesitant to be part of it. I guess I feel it might go in a Obe-Wan/Anakin direction. It seems like a huge responsibility that could easily go wrong. I think some of my "unhappy moments" can be linked to concepts I picked up as I waded, with no guidance through the world of the written word. I am not sure I would do it again without a mentor who could help me keep the darker concepts and truths in proper perspective. And I certainly can't claim to be such a mentor!

Maybe it's not that big of a deal?

I will say this, if she insists on existential stuff I am going with "The Myth of Sisyphus".

:D
Last edited by SquidInk on 01-26-2014 12:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-24-2014 05:10 PM

There are things I wish I could "ctrl z" from my brain. These are a few that come to mind right away:

* http://www.lewrockwell.com/1970/01/lysa ... authority/

* everything these people say: http://www.ae911truth.org/

* and lots of works like: "Changing Images of Man" ( https://www.google.com/search?q=changin ... s+of+man++ )

* along with most of the philosophy I've read, and Ellul's "The Technological Society" ( https://www.google.com/search?q=changin ... al+society )

* and believe it or not, the Unabomber Manifesto! https://www.google.com/search?q=changin ... to&spell=1

Not sure any of it really helps a person get along in a world that has been boiled down to buying/selling. He/she who buys/sells the best, is the most meritorious - in a very "ends justifies the means" kind of way, and therefore wins. Everyone else is a mooch.
Last edited by SquidInk on 01-24-2014 05:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-24-2014 05:29 PM

SquidInk wrote: This is great feedback. I appreciate every comment.

I was approached by a young female (~18), the daughter of a friend, who asked me how to go about some serious reading. She asked if she could borrow my copy of Camus' L'Étranger. I think my soul winced a little.

After a pause I said I would have to dig it out (not true), and that it wasn't a good starting point for her anyway, but that I would have a reading strategy for her this week (she is currently paralyzed and *very* bored).

In thinking about this, I am hesitant to be part of this. I guess I feel it go in a Obe-Wan/Anakin direction. It seems like a huge responsibility that could easily go wrong. I think sometimes I can link some of my "unhappy moments" to concepts I picked up as I waded, with no guidance through the world of the written word. I am not sure I would do it again without a mentor who could help me keep the darker concepts and truths in proper perspective. And I certainly can't claim to be such a mentor!

Maybe it's not that big of a deal?

I will say this, if she insists on existential stuff I am going with "The Myth of Sisyphus".

Reading "serious" literature will bum you out. It is the one thing that contributed to my malaise more than anything else. However, it is also empowering. We all have to make what we can of this world, and you can't just ignore suffering, that makes you less human. We all suffer, we all have to deal with it somehow. For some people reading about suffering is a catharsis that helps with their own suffering.

Existentialism is as inescapable as Gregor Samsa's metamorphosis.

Empathy requires an understanding of sorrow.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-24-2014 06:12 PM

Years of blissful daydreams ended for me when I found out Rock Hudson was Gay. :D
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-24-2014 07:15 PM

Just a thought

Squid, Give her the book. If she understands the concepts, fine. If not, she will just scratch her head. I would think something like Joseph Campbell's books would be a good start to think metaphorically.

A story: A young women went to a lecture, everyone was enthralled with the speaker. Afterwords every one came up to the lecturer and told him how wonderful it was. The young woman told him that she didn't understand a word he said. The lecturer, said "Of course, it is not your time to understand".

I firmly believe we have a "time" when things speak to us or not, we grow into most things, but our "seeking" if that is what we want shouldn't be stopped. And won't be stopped anyway, especially when as you well know, one developes the "Thirst".
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-25-2014 12:44 AM

Raggedyann wrote: Years of blissful daydreams ended for me when I found out Rock Hudson was Gay. :D
:D:D I initially felt the same way when I found out Bette Davis was dead. Now I just imagine myself on a night out with Bette - looking like a more sardonic, unlikable version of the Cryptkeeper.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-25-2014 12:46 AM

Doka wrote:

I do believe that one can be informed and blissful. I can only draw from my own experience though. And you can be sure that I have to go through stages to get there, about some things. I have been taught that anything that cause's me emotional pain, should be let go of ,if it cannot be corrected by me, it is a great goal, but not always a quick deal and the fact that I am a born cynic. It is always, the lack of "Power", that causes me the grief. It is the physical equivalent to removing a splinter from my own foot. Once you have experienced "Peace of Mind" you just want more of it.

[...]

Just a thought

Squid, Give her the book. If she understands the concepts, fine. If not, she will just scratch her head. I would think something like Joseph Campbell's books would be a good start to think metaphorically.

A story: A young women went to a lecture, everyone was enthralled with the speaker. Afterwords every one came up to the lecturer and told him how wonderful it was. The young woman told him that she didn't understand a word he said. The lecturer, said "Of course, it is not your time to understand".

I firmly believe we have a "time" when things speak to us or not, we grow into most things, but our "seeking" if that is what we want shouldn't be stopped. And won't be stopped anyway, especially when as you well know, one developes the "Thirst".
I admire this outlook a lot, Doka ~ thanks.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-25-2014 12:53 AM

Fan wrote: Reading "serious" literature will bum you out. It is the one thing that contributed to my malaise more than anything else. However, it is also empowering. We all have to make what we can of this world, and you can't just ignore suffering, that makes you less human. We all suffer, we all have to deal with it somehow. For some people reading about suffering is a catharsis that helps with their own suffering.

Existentialism is as inescapable as Gregor Samsa's metamorphosis.

Empathy requires an understanding of sorrow.
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." :D :( :D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-25-2014 12:54 AM

kbot wrote: I think that what did it for me was the 60s and 70s with the assassinations, government spying, Vietnam War, COINTELPRO/ MK-ULTRA and all that sorta related stuff. This isn't what government is supposed to be about.
Absolutely agree, Kbot. I am glad I know about these things, but at times I wonder if it is "helpful".

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-25-2014 01:53 AM

Riddick wrote: While it was a pretty big blow in my youth to discover pro-wrestling is fake? It helped towards creating a healthy skepticism and critical eye towards the entire system and culture we live in...

As it is, I can't help but see similarities between pro-wrestling AND most everything we read, see or hear in the major media nowadays!
This is a brilliant point, and one I would have never considered. Will you experience similar thoughts and feelings when you (all of us, really) find out "the news" is every bit as scripted, and Brian "Mean Gene" Williams is just another guy reading a script?

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”