When Did Reality Become TV?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

When Did Reality Become TV?

Post by Riddick » 08-07-2018 08:44 PM

How The Truman Show Predicted The Future

In 2018, The Truman Show still feels as authentic as ever — probably even more so now than when it debuted, considering the subsequent rise of reality TV, social media, artificial reality, and "fake news."

Two decades since Jim Carrey’s dramatic turn playing the oblivious main character in a reality show fabricated around his life, the film continues to act as a digital-age Nostradamus.

How accurately has this movie predicted the future? Vulture counts the ways. FULL STORY

RELATED:
JUMPING THE SCRIPTED SHARK
When 'The Real World' Gave Up On Reality
The true story of the exact moment in the mid-Nineties when reality television morphed from its best self to its worst. LINK
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

maryals51
Pirate

Re: When Did Reality Become TV?

Post by maryals51 » 08-09-2018 04:30 PM

Some would say, Candid Camera was the first Reality TV, and The Game Shows also qualify as the first TV Reality Shows. Ditto COPS "Bad boys bad boys watcha gonna do GRUNTHUH..."

Oh, anyone remember "This Is Your Life"?

Back in 1999 I watched 1900 House on PBS. A family agreed to live for 3 months in a restored Victorian House, fully immerse in 1900 living: clothes even underwear, food, everything.

Then I watched a few episodes of The Osbournes...it was pretty good, Ozzy is hilarious now that he's fat and forgetful.

After that I watched every episode of Gene Simmons Family Jewels. No cursing there, no bleeping, the son and daughter were being raised to be responsible and well behaved.

Now there's all kinds of Family Reality TV Shows, some don't last, some are crap. I cannot watch "Real Housewives of ___" or "Bad Girls' Club of _____".

In my opinion, "Toddlers and Tiaras" is child abuse.

Then came "Iron Chef" from Japan, "Iron Chef America" and now there are all kinds of Baking and Cooking Show Competitions.
Fashion Design Competitions, Special and SciFi and Fantasy Make-up Competitions, Sword and Blade Making Competitions, and there's a new one called "Making It" a Competition for Crafters, armed with glue gun, glitter and felt.

With the Holidays coming we can look forward to Halloween Decoration Wars, and Christmas Lighting & Decoration Wars.

And the GOAT Reality Show, filled with fear and drama and comedy, fantastic stories and debates, fun and terror, heroes and villains every 2 years...Elections!!!
"When they tell you not to Panic that's when you run!"

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-11-2018 12:58 PM

I have always wondered how it got the name Reality TV? How can it be "real" when you have an entire camera crew right on ya? Then, there has to be some directing going on, or else it would be as exciting as watching water boil. :confused:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

The Mega Powers ***EXPLODE***!

Post by Riddick » 08-11-2018 01:53 PM

Doka wrote: 08-11-2018 12:58 PM I have always wondered how it got the name Reality TV? How can it be "real" when you have an entire camera crew right on ya? Then, there has to be some directing going on, or else it would be as exciting as watching water boil. :confused:
Yah it's not exactly reality but at the same time, it's not "scripted" so it's cheaper to produce

Makes me think of Pro Rassin' backstage or locker room with the 'heels' beating the 'faces' bloody. A camera crew just happens to be there for the explosion? How convenient. Some kind of "first aid" THAT is.

Here's a prime example with Macho Man & The Hulkster

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

maryals51
Pirate

Post by maryals51 » 08-11-2018 04:00 PM

I guess the original, true "Reality" TV Shows were Candid Camera, and the various Game Shows.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-11-2018 04:09 PM

maryals51 wrote: 08-11-2018 04:00 PM I guess the original, true "Reality" TV Shows were Candid Camera, and the various Game Shows.
I loved Candid Camera. In my opinion, the best watching is when we think "No One Is Watching" ! :D
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-11-2018 04:32 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Game Show Classics

Post by Riddick » 08-12-2018 01:55 PM

Lastly here's a hilarious spoof from "The Steve Allen Show"

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-12-2018 02:58 PM

6 of the Worst Reality Shows of All Time

Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with reality television. When the phenomenon first appeared on MTV in the form of The Real World: New York, everyone was intrigued. They have strangers living with each other? And they're on camera? Interesting. But it wasn't long before outrageous shows began appearing on every channel imaginable.

I personally flat-out adore Top Chef on Bravo. And to my husband's dismay, I have been known to watch a little bit too much of The Real Housewives of New York City. (Ok, Beverly Hills, too...) But these shows (some would argue) have some merit. At least Top Chef does.

In the list below, we have gathered some shows that are just plain awful. In fact, we would all probably be better off if they were never on the air. Seriously. The sad part is, there was an inordinate number of shows to choose from. If you disagree with any that we listed, we could come back with ten more that simply reeked

See Top 6

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/6-of-the- ... -all-time/
KARMA RULES

maryals51
Pirate

Post by maryals51 » 08-13-2018 02:06 AM

Doka wrote: 08-12-2018 02:58 PM 6 of the Worst Reality Shows of All Time

Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with reality television. When the phenomenon first appeared on MTV in the form of The Real World: New York, everyone was intrigued. They have strangers living with each other? And they're on camera? Interesting. But it wasn't long before outrageous shows began appearing on every channel imaginable.

I personally flat-out adore Top Chef on Bravo. And to my husband's dismay, I have been known to watch a little bit too much of The Real Housewives of New York City. (Ok, Beverly Hills, too...) But these shows (some would argue) have some merit. At least Top Chef does.

In the list below, we have gathered some shows that are just plain awful. In fact, we would all probably be better off if they were never on the air. Seriously. The sad part is, there was an inordinate number of shows to choose from. If you disagree with any that we listed, we could come back with ten more that simply reeked

See Top 6

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/6-of-the- ... -all-time/
I confess I really liked "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" It cracked me up that the show had subtitles because the Georgia accents were so thick, no one outside of that State could understand what anyone was saying :D

But I agree with the rest on that List being among the worst.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-13-2018 11:54 AM

Remember when the news was considered to be "reality TV"?
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-05-2019 05:59 PM

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”