Detroit Toast

Discussion of the economy

Moderator: Super Moderators

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 07-23-2013 10:40 PM

Coast is my family, not the city and the people who live there ... ;)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-24-2013 06:50 AM

EXography: 19 U.S. cities have proportionately bigger workforces than bankrupted Detroit

This is a really good article. I don't think things like this have seen the "light of day", and it seems proportionately we are so out of "whack". What, it seems to me, is the average "John Q Citizen" is under the impression that federal, state, county and city workers are funded by the "Tooth Fairy" and not to worry! The article should have been titled "While We Where Sleeping". Throw in all the corruption and we can clearly see the "Sad State of Affairs".

Speaking of the "light of day", I doubt this is picked up by MSM. :crawl:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/exography ... le/2533338
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-24-2013 10:29 AM

what a mess, I don't see how this will end well for anyone.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 07-24-2013 11:40 AM

Riots big time.

We have been seeing signs of this for some time. They are escalating bit by bit.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-21-2013 06:26 PM

Detroit Going To The Dogs - Literally
Packs of Abandoned Canines Roam City as Human Numbers Dwindle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-21-2013 08:01 PM

This is painful to me.

These poor suffering animals are going to suffer and be put down because lazy and unaccountable and responsible folks pulled up stakes and the dogs bear the brunt of this.

I could not get thru the entire article - just makes me sick for them.:(

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-21-2013 09:13 PM

Diogenes wrote: This is painful to me.

These poor suffering animals are going to suffer and be put down because lazy and unaccountable and responsible folks pulled up stakes and the dogs bear the brunt of this.

I could not get thru the entire article - just makes me sick for them.:(

I would put my critters down if there was absolutely no way I could keep them. I could never walk away and leave them to fend for themselves. So cruel!
Last edited by Raggedyann on 08-21-2013 09:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-21-2013 09:22 PM

Hopefully a concerted Animal Rescue group effort can be directed at Detroit. Similar to the massive efforts to relocated dogs from the South up to the big East Coast cities, which has already saved thousands of pets.

Lot's of opportunities to make an impact, starting with finding out what types of dogs are prevalent, and whether or not the city of Detroit can take at least a few small steps to start the process of seeking outside help.

In NYC we have a group called "The Mayor's Alliance", which is sort of an umbrella group for most of the good rescue groups in the city. It has had an enormous impact, and led to far more organized rescue efforts city-wide. Detroit should take a look at this set-up as a model, but with groups working outside of Detroit which can handle transporting the dogs and cats to other locales where shelters aren't overloaded, or demand is high.

I wonder if Detroit has a strong spay/neuter program in place. Even though broke, it tends to be funded by outside groups and run by rescues, so they just might - and it's a good start. Without such a program, sadly the problem will only get considerably worse.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-21-2013 09:47 PM

Raggedyann wrote: I would put my critters down if there was absolutely no way I could keep them. I could never walk away and leave them to fend for themselves. So cruel!

RA,

Absolutely.

What I could do to folks like this:realmad:

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-21-2013 11:40 PM

Raggedyann wrote: I would put my critters down if there was absolutely no way I could keep them.

Ummm...... No. You don't euthanize those you love, you find a better solution for them. You deal with the pain of separation, but at least know that they are still cared for and loved by someone else. I assume this is what you meant.
Raggedyann wrote: I could never walk away and leave them to fend for themselves. So cruel!

Absolutely Yes. Should be a crime. I wonder how many of those pets are chipped.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-22-2013 03:44 PM

I say thanks to our new no-kill facilities - it has really helped keep down the "drive by" dumpers. Talking those vehicles that drive by out in the country and dump cats and dogs. (often young kitten, pups - yr or under in age)

Of our 7 outdoor cats - four were "dumps" and all that arrived were under 1 yr of age. Strange thing is 3 were already neutered - two males and one female. The other female was not neutered, until we took it in to get neutered. It was the youngest and the vet made us wait a few months before she would neuter this little female.

The dalmations were the worst. Originally three dumped two males and one female - all neutered. One male was killed by a driver who was extremely upset as they were behind the truck that 'threw them out'... The other two ran off into the snowy night. Both the male and female had collars on them and sadly - way too small. The female came here and became a very loved girl. Took two weeks to get her neck to heal after we cut out the collar. She was with us from age 1 to age about 12 when she had to be put down. She could no longer walk, would not eat and had to be carried to just get to her water. It happened very quickly and very sadly. The male was taken in by a neighbor down the road.

I get so upset when I read about people who just dump their animals. Last year as we were leaving the bowling alley - we discovered someone had dumped two puppies in the parking lot. Luckily they were adopted by a couple of bowlers and later - as they have outdoor cameras - the people were caught who had dumped them.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-22-2013 04:14 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Ummm...... No. You don't euthanize those you love, you find a better solution for them. You deal with the pain of separation, but at least know that they are still cared for and loved by someone else. I assume this is what you meant.

Giving them away to other people would of course be my first choice but if that wasn't possible, then I would put them to sleep before I would abandon them. That said, if I became homeless, I know I would hang on to my Casey dog for as long as I could.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-22-2013 04:42 PM

As we're discussing No-Kill shelters and rescue groups, I thought I would throw out this reminder in case anyone ever knows of someone who has to surrender their pet to a shelter.

One of the single worst groups when it comes to euthanasia is PETA. Virtually all dogs and cats brought to their facilities are euthanized and local rescue groups sadly have to work to rescue dogs and cats FROM PETA shelters. They also have a policy that states that all pit-bulls should automatically be euthanized and advocate for this policy in the animal rescue world.

Hard to believe I know, but they have long since become a charity that functions far more like a for profit business than a group doing actually work on the ground.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 08-23-2013 04:07 PM

Detroit has been going downhill for over 30 years. You can thank 5 term mayor Coleman Young for that.........
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-23-2013 04:12 PM

megman wrote: Detroit has been going downhill for over 30 years. You can thank 5 term mayor Coleman Young for that.........

Amen
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Economy”