Is Downward Mobility The New Normal?

Discussion of the economy

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Is Downward Mobility The New Normal?

Post by Riddick » 04-08-2016 05:47 PM

While the American Dream of upward mobility and financial security is alive and well for the richest Americans, upward mobility from the lower to the middle-class has all but vanished. With 3/4ths of Americans thinking things are looking worse, lower- and middle-income folks have never felt less secure financially than now.

For all but the highest-paid workers, the fact is that wages have been stagnant for almost 30 years. Both wage stagnation and unsteady job markets have helped to create wealth and income disparities that are approaching levels this country has not seen in almost a century.

The belief you can succeed financially with hard work and determination has been a core tenet of the American Dream. While the American Dream as it's existed for over 50 years is on life support, for some, it may already be dead. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: Is Downward Mobility The New Normal?

Post by kbot » 04-08-2016 05:56 PM

I stiil (years later now....) see students graduating from college with degrees in healthcare, unable to find full time employment. Per diem, usually, part time if they're lucky
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-08-2016 07:11 PM

kbot wrote:I stiil (years later now....) see students graduating from college with degrees in healthcare, unable to find full time employment. Per diem, usually, part time if they're lucky
I understand totaly that things are tough. But, would you not think if the student/parents are spending let's say up wards of $60k for education that they would do some research on on what the job trends are to be. I know the medical field job wise went down fast, but I do expect it re-coupe as soon as TPTB stop wanting to kill us, more than they want to help us.?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 04-08-2016 08:06 PM

College is overrated. Yes, it's necessary for some, if you're going to be a doctor. But many (rich) entrepreneurs did it with hard work and determination. After being in Europe for a while, I think the U.S. suffers a motivation problem. There are so many safety nets, mom's basement to crash, and free things, what motivation is there to be creative and want to work? Let's face it, anyone can get on the public dole if they want. And most people are comfortable making enough to get by without thinking about the future.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-10-2016 02:09 PM

downward is not mobility it is losses... losses in so many areas. Seems far too many growing kids (HS on up) simply do not WANT to work. Why should they? Mom and Dad continues to provide for them. (SAD ya) By the time the kids are ready to graduate on go on to college - oh gee, they haven't saved any monies and with the higher college costs - ehh? Scholarships, Grants are down and loans from banks are high interest....what to do?

Too many freebies, so why bother? Yes bad attitude, but gee hold out your hand - get more freebies. And gee can't find work - well claim mental anguish disability and get even more freebies.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 04-12-2016 05:13 PM

Personally I have no problem if people don't work. If they don't work, don't pay them. The problem solves its self.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Economy”