Meanest Quotes & Profits

Discussion of the economy

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Meanest Quotes & Profits

Post by voguy » 06-04-2016 07:57 AM

I found this article interesting because most people read things but don't comprehend, or "read between the lines." It's a summary of a Bloomberg look the downfall of Sears.

There is an old phrase Irish Diplomacy. Short definition means, the ability to tell someone to go to hell and make them look forward to the trip. In the long form one must realize that to get away with telling someone to go to hell you must use words and phrase those words in such a way as to appear innocent. It's sort of like the true southern phrase, "Bless his Heart", which to most in the north seems endearing. Actually, when you get down to it, the true intent is that they think you're an awful person and they hope God will invoke change. But back to the article.

Take for example the quote of Candace Corlett, who is the president of W.S.L. Strategic Retail.
They wanted a better customer… Frequently, when retail goes off the rails, it has to do with not liking the shopper you have.
This is a damning quote because it speaks to how Sears looked at the people who frequented their stores. Work clothes were taken out of the store not because of sales but due to the impression they had of the people who wanted the clothes. After all, we can't have working people in the store when we're trying to cater to the upper end of middle class! Ewww. But listening to words can make you money.

Take for example my birthday in July of 2001. I was sitting in Fostoria, Ohio, with a friend watching trains. On any given days there will be 80 to 100 go by on the NS and CSX tracks. My friend was the first to notice a lot of stacked container cars and commented on how BNSF (Burlington Northern - Santa Fe) was struggling to find enough engines to pull 100+ container cars from the west coast to the east Another comment was made by another railfan that he's seeing more of these "stack trains" in the past month. That got me to thinking and I did some research. Sure enough, BNSF had lines up a contract with ports on the west coast to send goods to the east coast. After a day or so I purchased 100 shares of their stock at $27.05 a share.

By my birthday in 2004 BNI was $34.15, and listening to the railfans it was obvious this trend was not slowing. In fact, their words spoke of the excitement of seeing 5 or even 6 larger engines on the lead pulling 125+ cars. 5 or 6 GE Dash 9-40CW engines is an indicator of pulling a hell of a lot of weight, which translates to goods, which means the railroad is making money. It was then I really invested in BNI stocks. In February 2010 I sold out at $99.97 a share. So words, and reading between the lines was very profitable to me. I will say that I did have a few duds. JCP in 2005 was a dud, and listening to Jim Cramer's rants about NASDAQ was like taking advice from Obama. The losses however were in the low 4% of my total investments. Lesson learned.

Then there is my daughter who makes her investments from listening and watching young people. She will watch the younger crowd to see what they buy, and what they like. Most of all she listens to their words. When I visit her and we go for coffee, I have to take my paper with me and read as she doesn't like to talk. Instead she is listening to the adjacent tables to see what people are interested in. From this she has got in on the start of companies like Skechers, Vans, and others. Being young with no kids has an advantage as you can roll your funds over while living light.

The place I worked at had a fellow in engineering who would listen carefully to technology people wanted, such as GoPro, FitBit, and others. He got in with several drone manufacturers years ago and finally sold that stock at 7x what he paid.

The purpose of this post is not to crow about money, but to point out that by carefully listening and watching we can pick up clues which can benefit US. The words people use, albeit guarded at the time, lend clues to what they really mean. Just like watching someone's body language, or their eyes as they speak, you find information which most people ignore. Not being observant means you lose the true meaning. You get caught up in the passion and don't hear the truth. You miss opportunity.

In this political year it's even more important not only for the choice of a candidate, but to hear what the other branches of government are thinking. And if you want to make a buck, watch and listen to those around you.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Meanest Quotes & Profits

Post by Riddick » 06-04-2016 02:30 PM

voguy wrote:
They wanted a better customer… Frequently, when retail goes off the rails, it has to do with not liking the shopper you have.
This is a damning quote because it speaks to how Sears looked at the people who frequented their stores. Work clothes were taken out of the store not because of sales but due to the impression they had of the people who wanted the clothes. After all, we can't have working people in the store when we're trying to cater to the upper end of middle class! Ewww.
I haven't been in a Sears in years. I do shop at the local K-Mart store, problem is it's in a smallish market and as it is, I don't doubt it could be shuttered any time

If there's anything about K-Mart I don't like it's their craptastic checkouts. Target, I'm in and out! At K-Mart, they have me reading mags and tabloids I'd never buy.

I've let clerks know, for what good it does. They can only do so much with a crap system. Sears Holdings? Aye, there's the rub. Nice to do business with you? NOT!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-04-2016 04:52 PM

I can't speak for Wisconsin, but in Ohio K-Mart was sort of the Walmart of the time. When the Super Walmarts came out that killed K-mart.

Sears was a viable business till they got all uppity and tried to compete for the soccer moms and upscale people. Our local store wanted to be a Macys, Marshall Field's, or Von Maur. When they did that, and took the focus off appliances and tools, that's when Lowes and Home Depot jumped in. I liked Sears a lot, but the last few times I've been in there it seemed like a ghost town, and people were not that friendly.

To me, Sears is a classic example of taking your eyes off the ball and letting others come in and steal your customer base. In business there is an old saying which is true. It's harder to woo back your customers even with tokens and trinkets, than had you just treated them right so they didn't leave.

People are brand loyal, but only to the point where you show them their loyalty means nutin'. This especially applies in the restaurant biz.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-04-2016 05:38 PM

voguy wrote:People are brand loyal, but only to the point where you show them their loyalty means nutin'.
Seems like it's kinda that way this year with the big two political parties. Besides being belch-inducing, it's like that presidential Cola war's giving more than a few people a bad case of before AND after taste.

'Steada the same old formulaic refills, how about something crisp and clean with no caffeine knowhutImean?
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-04-2016 06:19 PM

Cola wars is a good way to put it. But more to the point, it's like McDonald and Burger King saying they have the best steak money can buy. :)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-04-2016 10:07 PM

Sears in the north west was always the go to place for stuff like lawn mowers and washers and Dryers, never saw any inventory build up or competing like you have mentioned. They have been gone from our rural areas for over a couple of years. I really did like K-Mart. But they disappeared from here about 10 years ago. Stores like this are disappearing fast.

I wonder what will be allowed to survive?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-05-2016 12:01 AM

Doka wrote:Sears in the north west was always the go to place for stuff like lawn mowers and washers and Dryers, never saw any inventory build up or competing like you have mentioned. They have been gone from our rural areas for over a couple of years. I really did like K-Mart. But they disappeared from here about 10 years ago. Stores like this are disappearing fast.

I wonder what will be allowed to survive?
I'd say that's the $64,000 question Doka. Are there any 'too big to fail' retailers?

Hereabouts back in the day folks had to drive into Milwaukee to shop department stores. But boy, you could make a day of it. Besides K-Mart, there was Moreway, U-Tell, Spartan-Atlantic, Saxon, Treasure Island (mosta those later became Zayre)

If memory serves mosta those all went bust by the late '70s. By the '80s, we had a local K-Mart, by the '90s Wal-Mart & Target came in close proximity. If the Wal-Mart was in the same vicinity as the K-Mart, methinks the latter'd already be gone.

The plaza the K-Mart is in has an Aldi in the vicinity, and a Dollar Tree just came in this spring. If (more like when) K-Mart goes I'll still shop in the area, but for some stuff I'll drive the 5 miles or so to the retail sprawl where Wal-Mart & Target are -

I say I'll do that, 'course that's if they're in business yet comes the next collapse.

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-05-2016 12:17 AM

voguy wrote:Cola wars is a good way to put it. But more to the point, it's like McDonald and Burger King saying they have the best steak money can buy. :)
OK, but where's the beef? AND no free samples? No coupons? Cheapsteaks.

I'll just have a large Purity Orange Juice to go

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-05-2016 12:35 AM

Would you believe I became a card carrying Democrat in '84 just so I could participate in their one and only presidential caucus ever in Wisconsin?

Boy was that an education. It was like, damn, so that's how the sausage is made. No beef, just pork and lots of it

That was the beginning of the end of my infatuation with the Democrat party.

When Bill Clinton came along, he hammered the finishing nail in the coffin.

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Economy”