Belowdecks...Serious rants, etc...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

"The Wrestler" in Real Life

Post by Riddick » 08-26-2011 10:58 PM

Ric Flair's long, steady decline

From prowrestling.net:
TNA star Ric Flair is featured in a story written by Shane Ryan at Grantland.com that labels him 'The Wrestler in Real Life.' The lengthy piece examines Flair's personal issues, financial problems, and includes allegations of physical abuse by some of his ex-wives.

The story also states that Flair wrestles for TNA despite suffering from alcoholic cardiomyopathy - a heart problem. To read the full story, visit Grantland.com.
I was aware of some of the stuff described in the article, like his IRS issues, lavish lifestyle and marital discord, but it's a real jaw-dropper to see the full extent of his personal peccadilloes all detailed, the long history eye-poppingly laid out decade by decade and year by year.

I can only speculate his "Celebrity Star Status" has something to do with how he's avoided any serious blowback and how he can keep spending as he does; I doubt the average person would have the same ability... Of course, in most aspects of life Ric Flair is FAR from being typical!

It looks like living life LARGER than large seems to come naturally for "The Nature Boy" -- Truth is stranger than fiction, and in Ric Flair's case the strangeness is in just how much his 'real life' reflects the 'jet flying, kiss stealing, wheeling dealing' character he's played all these years.

Life's a party and he's not the center of attention, he IS the party. As The Natch as stated more than once, "Whether you like it or you don't like it LEARN TO LOVE IT 'cause it's the BEST thing going today... WHOOOOOO!"

Just as it is I have the feeling that for so long as any promotion's still willing to have him, and he has the potential to climb in the squared circle to put out for another payday AND come out of it more or less in once piece, he's not going to change his ways.

So far as that goes, taking a look at the picture of him at the head of the article would lead me to believe his body is pretty close to reaching its limit for the kind of abuse he's been putting it through on a regular basis for close to four decades. If that picture's not enough, here's another showcasing his sagging physique -

Beyond simply the ever increasing risk of permanent and disabling injury staring him in the face, if he insists on staying the course with no letup or any regard to his (alcohol abuse induced) heart condition, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him meeting up with his colleague Randy Savage one of these days before all too long.

After Savage's own cardiac-related death earlier this year, Flair made mention that he was Randy's complete opposite when it came to preparing for life after wrestling, claiming the Macho Man had saved up enough for at least two centuries. At that rate, at some point Ric might have told Randy "You can't take it with you"...

Clearly, as it stands that's one thing Flair DOESN'T need to worry about.

Return to “The Murky Bilge”