Battle of Salamis

The view is great, the air is fresh

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Battle of Salamis

Post by Riddick » 07-18-2017 01:14 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: Battle of Salamis

Post by kbot » 07-20-2017 11:06 AM

Nice Riddick.

I wonder about how our military obligations match-up against history where it was a given that military service was required (assuming one could physically perform military service) and now where a tiny fraction of the population serves.

Even now, some countries have mandatory military service. For example, the other night my wife was watching America's Got Talent, and one of the acts was a dance group from South Korea. This was most possibly the group's last chance to perform together since virtually all of them will be required to perform compulsory military service once they become of age.

I think about the Greeks and how their lifestyle (and training) enabled them to fight a winning war against insurmountable odds, and wonder how our society, which is much more interested in finding ways to relax will manage should a war on the order of WWII become necessary.

I don't think it'll be pretty.........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “The Crow's Nest”