Ian Punnett - BORING

Saturday Host on Coast to Coast AM!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-04-2005 04:14 AM

Well stated, fab. As Dr Kaku might say - 'That's right....' - and move it right along.
:)

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 07-04-2005 08:24 AM

Well, I dont mind any host expressing their particular beliefs, although I could see where some would because a show should be about the guests and the callers, not the host, but my dissapointment about this particular show, which I dont remember about Ian in the past, was the amount of talking he did. It seemed to me like for every minute a caller or a guest spoke, Ian spoke for two. And I even listened to the show for a third time, because I respect all the posters on this thread, to see if maybe I was just having a bad night. I understand that there are lots of people enjoy a host doing most of the talking, and of course we have to have shows for everybody.....It is simply not my cup of tea......but mind you, at one time Ian was my favorite.....not so long ago.
Last edited by sayntbrigid on 07-04-2005 08:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 07-04-2005 08:37 AM

Brigid

Honestly I found Ian's approach as being someone who on a personnal level was very interested in the topic at hand, not just someone presenting and being more of an intuitive person seeking to develop a dialogue within the constriants of his own knowledge or lack of knowledge regardding the topic.

Not just someone relying on the guest to present all the information on their specialty but to coax it out and "mingle" in a seeking way.

The Merlin project and all the equations and "echoing" it shows is a huge concept as a whole to try to understand. A very deep topic that is all to easy to scrutinize for being what it is, a very complex layering of timelines and coinciding events showing cause and effect based upon formulas and hypothetical points that may or may not be.

Very interesting and a very "questionable" venture into the inner workings of being.

I'm sorry you felt that way about this particular broadcast, I on the other hand did not.

And I will refuse to join the "rabble" of usual suspects seeking to render judgements that are as predictable as the sun rising in the East, and you are not one of these.

fab
Last edited by fabzilla on 07-04-2005 08:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Ah drrr drrr drrr

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 07-04-2005 08:47 AM

Well, thats ok Fab, I am sincerely glad you and others enjoyed it, thats what Coast and a varitey of hosts and guests is for, and it is not important that I was disapointed at all, I enjoy listening to any coast show, prolly simply because I'm afraid I might miss something.......so, please dont feel sorry.....its ok.....I'll get past it, and there is always the next time......right?

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-04-2005 09:53 AM

fabzilla wrote: Brigid

Honestly I found Ian's approach as being someone who on a personnal level was very interested in the topic at hand, not just someone presenting and being more of an intuitive person seeking to develop a dialogue within the constriants of his own knowledge or lack of knowledge regardding the topic.

Not just someone relying on the guest to present all the information on their specialty but to coax it out and "mingle" in a seeking way.

The Merlin project and all the equations and "echoing" it shows is a huge concept as a whole to try to understand. A very deep topic that is all to easy to scrutinize for being what it is, a very complex layering of timelines and coinciding events showing cause and effect based upon formulas and hypothetical points that may or may not be.

Very interesting and a very "questionable" venture into the inner workings of being.

And I will refuse to join the "rabble" of usual suspects seeking to render judgements that are as predictable as the sun rising in the East, and you are not one of these.

fab

Fab, you said it better than I, Ian is the closest to Art in the since he is able to bring out a guest ask the right questions so as laymen we can understand, I find that Ian is just as curious as we are which ultimately benefits us, after all we can't ask the questions directly.

Nemo
Pirate

Post by Nemo » 07-04-2005 11:01 AM

I've never called anyone on this board 'rabble' because they disagreed with me. Public figures, on the other hand, ARE open to direct criticism.

I have found a simple truth - the more a radio personality 'finds' religion, the more he/she uses the opportunity to pontificate and bend everything to his/her narrow conclusions. Sort of like what happened to Art Bell. He used to be good. Since he's discovered his new faith in the god-like, righteous government, HE IS TOTALLY CLOSED ON ANY POSSIBLE CONSPIRACY - sort of ironic don't you think?

No, the old religion is dead. Bring on the new.

calamity jane
Pirate

Post by calamity jane » 07-04-2005 02:06 PM

Wonder what kind of mileage we could get here on a thread that was titled -

NEMO - IS BORING

I have found a simple truth - the more a 'persona with a little kids painted clown face' - and a bodacious sig line with a link to a 'photo of me'* [radio personality] 'finds' [religion] 'an internet pulpit'*, the more he/she uses the opportunity to pontificate and bend everything to his/her narrow conclusions.

@edited to bring out the invisible ink as I've lost my Captain Marvel decoder ring

How about it Nemo?
:D

I find your posts amusing, but they are on the lean side of mean most of the time. Got another tune?

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-04-2005 02:17 PM

calamity jane wrote: Wonder what kind of mileage we could get here on a thread that was titled -

NEMO - IS BORING

How about it Nemo?
:D

I find your posts amusing, but they are are the lean side of mean most of the time. Got another tune?

Ditto

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 07-04-2005 02:34 PM

I happen to agree with Jane. Nemo, you clearly don't like George, you take stabs at Art and now, after merely one show you claim to find Ian boring. I'm starting to think that perhaps Coast-To-Coast just isn't for you, and maybe you should think about other avenues of entertainment.

Again, I don't understand why someone would listen to some they don't like.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-04-2005 02:43 PM

Hello, all! Well, I said what I said; I thought about it for a hell of a long time before I said it; I meant it; and I operate on the basis of the assumption. But what does it matter what I think? Ian Punnett --- and everybody else --- is going to come to Coast-to-Coast when Prem Rad decrees, and guess what?, he --- and everybody else --- is going to go down the chute when Prem Rad decrees. And that is the end of this particular discu$$ion, right here...

Vigo, my brother, you and I gotta talk. My brother came up this afternoon to see me for the Fourth of July, and I was showing him my new laptop, with all its bells and whistles. Since he did not know what a "forum" was, I called up The Fantastic Forum to show him one --- and also to show him how wild it can get on a forum. My brother was fascinated by what he saw, until he came to your remark that "I do feel inadequate to even be in your presence and greatness let alone post a reply." When my brother saw what you wrote, he laughed loudly. Why did he laugh, Vigo? He laughed because he knows me oh-so-much better than you do. And of course, I was embarassed to death.

Listen here and listen well, Vigo, my brother. Yes, it is true that I am a person who has been around --- or perhaps been dragged around --- the block a couple of times. Yes, it is true that I am very well educated and that I have a subtle, complex and powerful mind. And yes, I have a very powerful style. Yes, I have these things, and I am proud that I have these things. But I am just an ordinary man, as my brother knows --- and as you, alas, do not. I am heart-broken at what has happened to my country, and I am half-mad with rage and despair over the devils who are raping it, quite literally as I type. Sometimes, I am not quite right in the head. Or is it the heart?

If I say things that inform you --- or, at the very least, get you to think --- then I have done my job. After all, by profession I am, always have been, and ever must be a teacher. But do not put yourself down when you are with me, not least of all because it embarasses me when people who know me very well (like my brother) read such things. Remember what one of my teachers, the philosopher Nietzsche, used to say. "One repays a teacher badly, / If one remains a student only!" and "Every master has but a few disciples, and in the end, even they leave him, for they too are destined for mastership."

So don't hero-worship me, Vigo, my brother. What you admire so much in me is actually just the strength and power and complexity of soul that lies in your future and that constitutes your destiny. In admiring me, it is actually your future self that you are admiring. As you should, Vigo, since your kindness of spirit towards me is like a long drink of cool water in the middle of the slag heaps and black clouds of Mordor.

Thank you ever so much for your appreciation, Vigo, but remember what I have said to you.

Yours, most truly,

Joe Quinn
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 07-04-2005 05:36 PM

Joe you explained yourself very well. Did I note Optimism in your post? Wow Joe you made my fourth a great day!

I do not know Ian well as I have not listened to him in the past at any great length.

When I did not know who he was, some on the forum talked of him with his religious beliefs connected to who he was. He puts this up front. That seems to distract for me, what he does in his interviews. I keep anticipating his interjecting his religious view.

That may not be the case so I will listen to see for myself.

I Joe, was brought up Catholic. Brother was an alter boy. I had first Comunion and then Confirmation and then grew up and noticed the contradicitons. Monsenior was a Wino and used to booze it up with my girlfriend's dad.

Oh the good ole days....the same as now. Religion uses it's foundation to war against each other. Always has been, I'm afraid always will be.

It's about love folks, no matter how you believe, it's about love!

I will hold judgement regarding Ian, until I get a good dose of him on C2C.

BTW: HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY
Last edited by tiffany on 07-04-2005 05:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 07-04-2005 06:32 PM

Wow Joe I'm picking myself up off the floor:D Thanks for the response. I will try to keep in mind your background and sense of humor in your posts. have a great day!

Tiff, a great poet once said, "all we need is love..." Sure wish he was still around.

Enjoying a cold Sam Adams with the family and a little Sam Adams playing in the sand box as well.

Remember to have a fire extinguisher and a bucket of water handy tonight;) :D
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-04-2005 06:59 PM

I've never found Ian boring, and I was not bored when listening to his show Friday night. As most of you know, I'm not a Christian, but I am not offended or concerned about Ian's religious views, nor about the fact that he went to seminary school and is a minister. I've listened to Ian a lot, and have never heard him proselytize. (That IS important to me.) I have also heard him say that he is open-minded about other views on religion and spirituality, and that he has friends from many different spiritual paths. From what I've heard, Ian is both tolerant and knowledgeable when it comes to spirituality and religion. I'm not worried about what he will bring to C2C. It is my hope and my expectation that he will bring a fresh perspective. I've grown VERY bored with the prevalence of "Armageddon / EndTimes / Anti-Christ / Bible Prophecy / Demonsaregonnagetya - oogityboogity" type topics on C2C of late, and hope that with Ian back again, there will be more interesting (to me) and refreshing perspectives addressed in the realm of religion and spirituality.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Nemo
Pirate

Post by Nemo » 07-04-2005 07:24 PM

Again, I don't understand why someone would listen to some they don't like.
I listen for several reasons:

Sometimes you will hear a caller with a very interesting story - most of the time they are cut off before they get to the conclusion - but, when you can hear the whole story, it can be very good, and instructive.

I listen because there are guests who, somehow, are able to present something without a segue or interruption.

I listen because sometimes the hosts are funny.

Sometimes I listen to be put to sleep.

I have heard radio personalities that I think are very good. Rense is very good. Al Franken is very good. I like Hilly's voice and slow timing - I like his curiosity. I like that he is not a polished radio hack. I like a host who does more true listening and less blabber. We have hosts here who will talk right over their guests - over and over. They spend their time reading 'Fast Blasts' instead of listening. It shows. It sounds like they are stoned on Chronic.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 07-04-2005 10:07 PM

Thanks Joolz for your perspective. Gives me more of a glimse into who Ian is, as I value your opinion.
Last edited by tiffany on 07-04-2005 10:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ian Punnett/Saturday Host”