Howard Bloom from 11-04-06

Saturday Host on Coast to Coast AM!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Howard Bloom from 11-04-06

Post by Shirleypal » 11-05-2006 05:35 PM

This interview Ian did with Howard Bloom is well worth the listen if you missed it, this is a little of what he talked about.

Iran Ambush
Ian welcomed author Howard Bloom, who discussed how Iran may have plans to set up the U.S. for the ultimate military ambush.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 11-07-2006 06:27 AM

As Howard Bloom interviews go, this was one of the better ones. Ian kept him reined in pretty well and was able to come up with "con" questions to Bloom's proposals. Bloom didn't run rough shod over Ian the way he does George.

I was pleased that he was conservative in his telling of how Circus magazine got started, too. Guess he knew that unlike Noory, Ian wasn't about to buy the "Howard Bloom Invented Rock and Roll As We Know It" stance he takes with George.

That's one thing that bugs me about Bloom - he is a very, very smart man, and truly intuitive. Which makes him dangerous, as he's a master at reading people and knowing how much b.s. he can get away with.

There's a lot of truth in what Bloom says, but you have to be on your toes to sort it out. That's the first interview I've heard with him in a long time that I actually enjoyed. Mostly. :)

Didn't surprise me or Cecil that it was Bloom's kid that made national news going to his Jewish high school dressed as Hitler for Halloween. :rolleyes:

ShuGi
Pirate

Post by ShuGi » 11-07-2006 07:54 AM

I think Blooms scenario is possible, but quite unlikely. Even if it happens America would be deeply hurt, but not that much as Bloom envisions, in fact it would end up far worse for many islamic nations, because such an massive attack would probably be answered with nukes ... that might tie in with some Armageddon-wishes of some Iranian rulers, but i highly doubt that a real world-wide nuclear war would emerge out of this.

Addtitionally what he sayed about Europe being anyway kinda overthrown by muslims simply is wrong, at least for the near future. ATM there are 3,3% of the population of the EU muslims - by far not enough, even if growing very fast, for the next decade to be *that* important. (and many of those muslims are quite liberal and western-culture oriented)

Neamhain
Pirate

Post by Neamhain » 11-07-2006 08:12 AM

I just finished listening to this show. Wow. Bloom is a fascinating guy. I was really laughing at some of the descriptions of his antics as a young man. I was really sort of :rolleyes: listening to him give his spiel about how he was 'always' on the cutting edge of 'everything.'

His take on Iran, Islam, etc...was really engrossing as well. My only issue is with how 'fantastical' it all seems. He does a lot of overestimating and underestimating at the same time. He's a bit of an intellectual megalomaniac. Does he have a Messiah complex too? Very engaging topics though.
Cuimhnich air na daoine o

Nemo me impune lacesset

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 11-07-2006 10:28 AM

It appears we're all of like minds! THANK YOU! For awhile I thought it was just me that felt that way about Bloom. Thank you. :)

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 11-07-2006 10:40 AM

Dixie I am a big fan of Howard Bloom, know he sometimes sounds over the top but love listening to his insights nevertheless, now I am off to vote, just have to walk across the street, time for change.

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 11-17-2006 02:41 AM

I finally heard this show too, and I always find Bloom interesting, if not fantastistical. He's a quirky guy.

But IAN is spectacular. The more I hear him, the more I deeply appreciate him.

I think it's safe to say that of the 3 C2C hosts currently, Ian is by far my favorite.

He was the underdog who come up on the outside and has left those other two dogs in the dust.

You GO Ian!

I'd listen to him every night if he were on. Just sayin'.

Dominic
Pirate

Post by Dominic » 11-17-2006 03:03 AM

I have read both of his books "The Lucifer Principle" and "The Global Brain". And yes that blurb about inventing Pop music or modern Rock and Roll is also on the dust jacket. But I had read them before he started coming on the show. I can see how he exudes that sort of "I am the cutting edge" type of guy. In Global Brain he talks about group theory and the different components that work together to ensure the survival of the group.

I don't get the Ian Punnet segment on my Radio station. Bummer.

Neamhain
Pirate

Post by Neamhain » 11-20-2006 01:20 PM

Originally posted by dotcosm

I think it's safe to say that of the 3 C2C hosts currently, Ian is by far my favorite.

He was the underdog who come up on the outside and has left those other two dogs in the dust.

Right now, I totally agree. He is entertaining, affable, and he makes a pretty huge effort to be prepared for his guests and it shows in his rapport with them.

Aside from Lisa Garr, I could listen to Ian M-F. :D

Hell, like Black Irish said--I could listen to Lisa Garr sell flood insurance.
Cuimhnich air na daoine o

Nemo me impune lacesset

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 11-21-2006 05:22 PM

dotcosm wrote: I'd listen to him every night if he were on. Just sayin'.

I useta listen to him every night - aahhh, the good old days!! Back when I worked graveyard shift in the darkroom all by myself, just me and Ian nearly every night/morning. I felt the same sense of sadness when he went off the air as I did when Art signed off at 5 or 6am...

"Wait! Ian! Don't go yet! There's so much more to talk about! Ask more questions! Hold the guest over!!" During the time Ian was on C2C nearly every night, I also magically caught him a couple of times doing his "regular" evening talk show out of Atlanta. Somehow the airwaves lined up just right and carried his voice hundreds of miles to Richmond, Virginia to discuss non-Coasty things.

And ya know what? He was just as funny, interesting, insightful & prepared for that 4 hour show as he was for his next shift, which immediately followed. (If memory serves me right...) Yes, Ian was able to pull off doing TWO 4 hour radio shows, back to back, with different topics/subjects/guests and be fully prepared and damned good.

AND during that same time, I'm pretty certain he was also attending Seminary. So when I hear other talk show hosts - ANY OF 'EM, say it's almost impossible to prepare for just one 4 hour radio show a night, I think of our boy, Opie. ;)

It's not exactly fair to compare various hosts's styles to one another (usually), but when someone starts acting like they're Superman for pulling off one 4 hour show every day or night, I think of good old Ian Punnett.

Return to “Ian Punnett/Saturday Host”