A Lesson from the Past

Grassroots democracy. We need to secure our country from the global elites. Act now! Get informed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

A Lesson from the Past

Post by Joolz » 07-04-2005 05:58 PM

This folder seems to be an appropriate place for this thread, as to my mind, it concerns our survival, but if it seems inappropriate to you mods, please move it elsewhere.

------------

This passage crossed my mind as I was reading today’s posts on several threads. This is for all those who say there is really nothing new under the sun (mudwoman), or that we are doomed to repeat past mistakes because humanity never learns from its own history (Joe), or that partisan rivalries will ultimately accomplish nothing (Fab)... I offer the below quote. It may sound familiar to you. It rang a bell for me when I read it. Fill in the blank and you can probably figure out who wrote it and when.

------------

So civil war broke out in the cities, and the later revolutionaries, with previous examples before their eyes, devised new ideas which went far beyond earlier ones, so elaborate were their enterprises, so novel their revenges. Words changed their ordinary meanings and were construed in new senses. Reckless daring passed for the courage of a loyal partisan, far-sighted hesitation was the excuse of a coward, moderation was the pretext of the unmanly, the power to see all sides of a question was complete inability to act. Impulsive rashness was held the mark of a man, caution in conspiracy was a specious excuse for avoiding action. A violent attitude was always to be trusted, its opponents were suspect. To succeed in a plot was shrewd, it was still more clever to divine one; but if you devised a policy that made such success or suspicion needless, you were breaking up your party and showing fear of your opponents. In fine, men were applauded if they forestalled an injury or instigated one that had not been conceived. Ties of party were closer than those of blood, because a partisan was readier to take risks without asking why, for the basis of party association was not an advantage consistent with the laws of the state but a self-interest which ignored them, and the seal of their mutual good faith was complicity in the crime and not divine law. If a stronger opponent made a fair proposal, it was met with active precautions and not in a generous spirit. Revenge was more prized then self-preservation. An agreement sworn to by either party, when they could do nothing else, was binding as long as both were powerless, but the first side to pluck up courage, when they saw an opening and an undefended point, took more pleasure in revenge on a confiding enemy than if they had achieved it by open attack; apart from considerations of security, a success won by treachery was a victory in a battle of the wits. Villainy is sooner called clever than simplicity good, and men in general are proud of cleverness and ashamed of simplicity.

The cause of all these evils was love of power due to ambition and greed, which led to rivalries from which party spirit sprung. The leaders of both sides used specious phrases, championing a moderate aristocracy or political equality for the masses. They professed to study public interests but made them their prize, and in the struggle to get the better of each other by any means committed terrible excesses and went to still greater extremes in revenge. Neither justice not the needs of the state restrained them, their only limit was the caprice of the hour, and they were prepared to satisfy a momentary rivalry by the unjust condemnation of an opponent or by a forcible seizure of power. Religion meant nothing to either party, but the use of fair phrases to achieve a criminal end was highly respected. The moderates were destroyed by both parties, either because they declined to cooperate or because their survival was resented.

So civil war gave birth to every kind of inequity in the _____ world. Simplicity, the chief ingredient in a noble nature, was ridiculed and disappeared, and society was divided into rival camps in which no man trusted his fellow. There was no reconciling force—no promise binding, no oath that inspired awe. Each party in its days of power despairing of security was more concerned to save itself from ruin than to trust others. Inferior minds were as a rule the more successful; aware of their own defects and of the intelligence of their opponents, to whom they felt themselves inferior in debate, and by whose versatility of intrigue they were afraid of being surprised, they struck boldly and at once. Their enemies despised them, were confident of detecting their plots and thought it needless to effect by violence what they could achieve by their brains, and so were taken off guard and destroyed.

… In the chaos of city life under these conditions human nature, always rebellious against the law and now its master, was delighted to display its uncontrolled passions, its superiority to justice, its hostility to all above itself; for vengeance would not have been set above religion, or gain above justice, had it not been for the fatal power of envy. But in their revenges men are reckless of the future and do not hesitate to annul those common laws of humanity on which everyone relies in the hour of misfortune for his own hope of deliverance; they forget that in their own need they will look in vain.
Last edited by Joolz on 07-04-2005 06:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-05-2005 03:21 AM

I'll add this...

I do think there is very little new under the sun. What we think is new and novel usually isn't at all when viewed in historical perspective. Such is the case here, IMO.

I don't believe we are doomed to repeat our past mistakes, however. I think we can and will learn, but it's up to those who can to lead the way and teach how. It's not an insurmountable task, and there is no inevitable destiny, only that destiny which we will into being by our words and actions -- or inactions.

And while I must agree that partisan rivalries are often divisive in and of themselves, there is a purpose to be served in utilizing the tools we have at a given moment in time in order to serve the greater good and reach the greater goal.

We don't have to repeat such a history as the one I posted above. We can choose not to do so. Being armed with knowledge is a start. Being able to see clearly what is before us is a first step. Being willing to work toward change and a better future is a second step. Putting ourselves into action toward that end is a third step. Step by step, we can and will create change for the betterment of us all.

There are no impossibilities. Dream it, work it, make it real.

Oh, insert "Greece" into the blank, and the author pops up as the first real historian, Thucydides, c. 427 BCE.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-05-2005 06:07 AM

Leave it to you, Joolz my dear, to post something from the oldest pages in the history of civilization. ;) You are a true voice of reason and light in my life, a teacher and a friend. I can offer no higher compliment.

While it is true that there is nothing new under the sun, we must not forget that this is true for the allies of the light, as well as the minions of darkness. Evil actualized in the forms of war, torture, greed and inflicted suffering have stalked human kind from the beginning of time. This is fact, cold hard fact. But there has always been a deep, clear well in our hearts. An endless well of love, hope, grace and peace. It is through love that we can hope to ultimately prevail.

I think we must battle in the physical realm against the terrible manifestations of the great evil. It is our duty. It is life on this planet where our Karmic books are balanced. Our redemption lies here, on this plane. I continue this struggle, and will until I can no more.

I love you,
Sandy

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 07-05-2005 07:50 AM

wow

leave it to you Joolz.

most excellent indeed...

a true sage of history and verse.

peace...

fab
Ah drrr drrr drrr

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 07-05-2005 09:42 AM

Joolz wrote: I don't believe we are doomed to repeat our past mistakes, however. I think we can and will learn, but it's up to those who can to lead the way and teach how.

I would compare this to someone who falls asleep at the wheel of a car, and wakes at teh moment when 250 feet in front of them the road turns.

While there are some in high levels of power who are oblivious to their actions, (as they are seeking short term profitability), the rest of us have to wake up and realize that their choices are going to impact us for the long term.

There are days when I wonder if the forced divide of “them vs us” will not erupt this nation into a civil war. At which time those in high power can release their weapons of war against the populations claiming that it will bring things back to normal.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

cns
Pirate

Post by cns » 07-05-2005 10:51 AM

Absolutely beautiful.
Thank you.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-06-2005 10:04 AM

Joolz -- read through that and kept saying - yup yup but who wrote it - (I am terrible with remembering authors names - for some odd reason).

As for whats new under the sun - well new technology - but thats about all there is - in reality. Just quicker ways to do some of the same ole things...which supposedly gives us more time to do other things.

The younger generations have become complacent. They lack the ability or knowhow to simply survive. AH get it at the store - buy new, replace rather than repair, to the point where it has become a simple matter of introducing some new "thing" for the good of the people and they (younger generations) will simply go out and buy just to have the latest and greatest.

Now back to history of things.

Return to “American Survival”