We Can't Ignore the Subject Much Longer.... BROKEBACK MOUNTA

Grassroots democracy. We need to secure our country from the global elites. Act now! Get informed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-13-2007 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder, will be there with rainbow colors flying.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-13-2007 11:42 PM

So funny Joe, Jake singing dressed as a woman and his cowboy friends from Brokeback sitting there.

TexasGuy
Pirate

Post by TexasGuy » 01-15-2007 01:11 AM

Joequinn,

You are an excellent writer.....and perhaps you are a tad bit more enlightened on a consciousness level than I........and since I have not seen the movie, I won't pretend to critique it as if I have.

But a couple of points I would challenge....

First off, one need not be a homophobe to find homosexuality distasteful. That is a very normal response from a heterosexual male for which I proudly identify myself as.

And I know it's not politically correct to openly object to such behavior in this day and age, however, I could no more be politically correct than I could be gay....as neither are elements of my makeup.

But to suggest that straight men who find homosexual acts distasteful as a sign of underlying fear of repressed homosexuality, I would strongly say "bull****" while laughing heartily.

I might entertain the idea that a true "homophobe" might possibly be a homosexual living a heterosexual life because he doesn't have the guts to live the life he truly desires....that's certainly a possibility.

But true straight men cannot conceive the mere idea of intimacy with another male....those who have such thoughts I would argue are in fact homosexual....either realized or unrealized.

Personally, as distasteful as I find the sight of two men engaging in sexual activity, I find it equally unacceptable to witness someone being mistreated or ridiculed, consequently, I believe we all have a right to live our lives the way we see fit. Tolerance however is about the extent of my acceptance if I'm to be truthful, so I will not likely see the film.

One might argue that my mindset is evidence of my own character shortcomings. Perhaps. Or perhaps it's just an example of the very obvious difference between straight and gay males.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-15-2007 09:21 AM

Thank you for your open and honest post, TexasGuy: I wish that we had it in this forum a year ago. But you know what I am going say next, don't you? Rent the film; view it twice; then come back here, and we'll discuss it to your heart's content. But you gotta see the film first, TexasGuy. No escape from that.

Thanks much for your post, TexasGuy, and Auf Wiedersehen!

:D :D :D

(P.S. to Shirleypal. Actually, Jake the consummate professional made the best that he could out of a very bad bargain, which, unfortunately, is what Saturday Night Live has become. And I noted the aplomb with which he got the inevitable Brokeback Mountain gag out of the way, right at the start. Jake has actually become quite protective of the reputation of the film, which he knows is going to be regarded in the future as one of the finest films of the early 21st century and which will always reckon high in his own list of great cinematic roles. Jake has been changed by the role, Shirleypal. He took it because it was available and because he knew that its controversial nature would raise his profile --- and, hey, you know that in Hollywood, you gotta be notorious if you cannot be famous! But the film really changed him; he suddenly realized a year ago that he was part of a hammer-blow for universal human rights; and he has made himself, far more than the reclusive Heath Ledger has, a guardian and protector of the film. As he is quite right to do, both morally and pragmatically... All in all, Shirleypal, Jake's appearance was OK, but I am not planning to watch SNL again in the near future... )
Last edited by joequinn on 01-15-2007 10:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-15-2007 11:36 AM

No arguement there Joe, I only watched a little of SNL and that was the first time in years..........it certainly isn't what it was, guest I wasn't missing anything. I am curious what people will be saying about B.B.M. ten years from now.............maybe it will be a whole new world.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-15-2007 02:50 PM

In ten years Brokeback Mountain will be a staple offering in college courses on contemporary film, and TCM will be showing it on Heath Ledger day or Ang Lee day or whatever...

I remember when, bored out of my skull, I watched Double Indemnity one night on TCM rather than stare at the walls, and it blew my ever-loving mind that there ever could have been such a film! That's what's going to happen to the odd viewer or two who turns in to catch Brokeback Mountain on Ang Lee day at TCM: it will blow his ever-loving mind that there ever could have been such a film!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever, just as a thing of horror is a blight forever, Shirleypal! Brokeback Mountain is every bit as much an uneraseable part of the cultural record of our times as the "God hates fags!" signs of the Reverend Fred Phelps or Matthew Shepard's dead body tied to that Wyoming fence and flapping in the breeze as the sun rose over the prairie!

What's done is done, Shirleypal! And in our own individual ways, we have to live with it.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-15-2007 04:35 PM

What's done is done, Shirleypal! And in our own individual ways, we have to live with it.

I don't agree Joe, I don't care if you are black, white, green, gay, lesbian or straight, we are all equal in my eyes (well maybe not bushco). It is the likes of you and me who can hopefully change minds one day, I will defend the oppressed until the day I die.

cherry
Pirate

TEXAS ICE STORM

Post by cherry » 01-15-2007 08:59 PM

joequinn , the line tonight was too long at the video store
to pick up Brokeback Mountain. . . . :rolleyes:

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-15-2007 09:06 PM

Shirleypal, one can fight for social justice --- without illusions and without amnesia. But as Agathon, the Greek tragedian, once wrote, "not even God can change the past."

Cherry, I would be very interested in your comments on Brokeback Mountain. Just promise me that you will watch the movie twice before you post.
Last edited by joequinn on 01-15-2007 09:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

cherry
Pirate

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post by cherry » 01-15-2007 09:22 PM

I promise, joequinn, I just don't handle lines very well for some reason or another. It relates to standing in lunch lines at elementary school when I was sooooo tired I thought I was going to die from lack of sleep.

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 01-16-2007 03:20 AM

Please excuse the interruption.

joequinn, I have a request.. if you have a moment of free time, please e-mail me at pebbles07067(at)yahoo dot com. Thank you, sir.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-11-2007 12:55 AM

But as Agathon, the Greek tragedian, once wrote, "not even God can change the past."

You never know Joe, what about time travel. Hey Joe did you notice this wonderful thread is now a "sticky".

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 02-18-2007 11:01 PM

For those of you who might be interested, a rather haunting compilation of the Academy Award-winning music from Brokeback Mountain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z66-u0bSHM
Last edited by joequinn on 02-18-2007 11:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-18-2007 11:10 PM

I just listened to about five minutes of it, it is very haunting Joe, thanks for the great find, will finish it when I have time.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 02-19-2007 12:09 AM

On Valentine’s Day the British DVD rental company Lovefilm.com issued a list of the ten greatest screen kisses of all time:

#10:
Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Gray in Dirty Dancing.

#9:
Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst in Spiderman.

#8:
Colin Firth and Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones’ Diary.

#7:
Al Pacino and John Cazale in The Godfather.

#6:
Deborah Kerr and Burt Lancaster in From Here to Eternity.

#5:
Selma Blair and Sarah Michelle Gellar in Cruel Intentions.

#4:
Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh in Gone with the Wind.

#3:
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

#2:
Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

And

#1:
Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain.

Don’t shoot me, I’m only the piano player here… :D :D :D

http://www.pr-inside.com/jake-gyllenhaa ... r52159.htm

And by the way, have you seen the infamous Snickers Commercial that aired right in the middle of The Super Bowl?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2O7xBzqkk

Amerika is lost, lost, lost beyond all possibility of retrieval... :D :D :D
Last edited by joequinn on 02-19-2007 12:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “American Survival”