Windows Update

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Windows Update

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-29-2005 11:31 PM

Has anyone else noticed (if you do Windows Update manually) that Activation is now required? Well, my machine didn't come with a disk so I get on the phone with Microsoft and they tell me there's nothing they can do if I don't have a copy of the Windows XP disk. Well, I do have one but it's not going to work (if you know what I mean) so what to do?

They say you can turn on Automatic Updates and still get the critical updates but I might need the latest WMP or codecs, drivers, or DirectX 10 when it comes out. All of those updates are optional so they won't be caught and downloaded with critical updates. Guess I'm screwed til I can come up with $400!

Anyone have this problem yet? Anyone figured it out? I don't know anyone that had a WinXP disk that came with the machine they bought. They would charge extra, surely! And apparantly if you bought your machine with an OEM pre-installed version of XP Home/Pro you will never need to activate Windows. It's supposed to be already pre-activated.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 11:57 PM

$400! I thought XP Home was about $80-90. All the stuff on pro is either on Home or can be had elsewhere, I'm pretty sure.

I think I read about a fix for that Mark. If I find it or remember where I saw it I'll get it to you. When you buy a computer, if the OEM XP installed is a valid, licensed, updateable and reinstallable copy then the only cost of providing the customer with a copy is the cost of burning the disk. So if you're not getting an OEM XP disk in the box then you aren't getting XP. Can you get a license number from wherever you bought it? If not then you may have to buy a valid copy with the numbers. All you would really need would be a valid number and any working copy - even bootleg disks, I think - for reinstalls, etc.

But here's a suggestion, Linux is free. Image
;)

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-30-2005 12:21 AM

Are you sure that's not just the upgrade version? My Compaq came with XP Home and when it stopped working one day I installed XP Pro over the top. So...technically, I don't deserve any sympathy.

Let me know if you find anything out about a workaround or a way to get through to the MS guys to get an Activation Code.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-30-2005 12:55 AM

All I found was an article that talks about some guy in India cracking it about 20 minutes after MS started doing it. So that means there is a solution out there, somewhere.. Yes, I looked and the cheapest I could find was $200 at best buy. I looked a pricewatch.com and found an OEM copy of XPHome with serials for about $75.. but you have to be careful there or you end up no better off than when you started..

But if you have your old 98 license you can upgrade that for $90 anyplace.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-30-2005 04:48 AM

Here's a brand new solution Mark. I'm going to try it tomiorrow my own self. Good luck - it looks easy..
http://techdown.blogspot.com/2005/07/wg ... etion.html
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-30-2005 04:17 PM

Well Mark, I tried it but mine validated on it's own. I had to install the validator first but after that it just went on thru.. I hope this one works for ya. I's simple enough. It even has the kewl HTML or shockwave demo tut..:cool:

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 07-30-2005 05:02 PM

Just paste this into the address-bar after loading Windows Update:
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
Click Go, then click Custom. No need to delete any files. :)

This trick only works on the windows update site---won't work for downloading addons like ms antispy.
Probably won't work for long, so best bet is just to use autopatcher xp ( google) if you don't want to go through the hassle of proving your install is a valid one----seems large amounts of valid installs are comming up as pirated, and getting it fixed through M$ is a major, hours long process----do you still have your reciept????

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-30-2005 06:48 PM

Dale, deleting the file didn't work but that javascript that Gotrox posted did! Temporary fix, I imagine. But thanks!

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 07-30-2005 07:13 PM

Dale OSea wrote: 0! I thought XP Home was about -90. All the stuff on pro is either on Home or can be had elsewhere, I'm pretty sure.

I think I read about a fix for that Mark. If I find it or remember where I saw it I'll get it to you. When you buy a computer, if the OEM XP installed is a valid, licensed, updateable and reinstallable copy then the only cost of providing the customer with a copy is the cost of burning the disk. So if you're not getting an OEM XP disk in the box then you aren't getting XP. Can you get a license number from wherever you bought it? If not then you may have to buy a valid copy with the numbers. All you would really need would be a valid number and any working copy - even bootleg disks, I think - for reinstalls, etc.

But here's a suggestion, Linux is free. Image
;)

I would love to use linux, I read about it, but I still cant understand how to download and install it let alone use it.......and all that disk dividing stuff I dont understand.....and download mirroring whats that? Maybe somebody could start us a Linux Tutorial thread for dummies ?

:D

but I'm serious though

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-30-2005 08:54 PM

Sorry mine didn't do it for you Mark. Thanks Gotrox, for finding that script - a neater fix than mine.

I think my XP got revalidated when I did my reinstall a couple of months ago. I had to put the numbers in when I installed SP2, I believe.

SB, I or mark could get you started but I'm not very well versed on using Linux. I don't have it installed right now, although I have a few times. Its on my growing to-do list, heh

If you just want to get a no muss, no fuss taste of Linux I highly recommend for you to download one of the many Live versions. Live versions are full Linux installs but they boot and run from a CD so you don't have to touch your existing setup.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-31-2005 12:34 AM

SB, install is pretty simple. Just pop the disk in and reboot and most distributions walk you through. I always let the partition manager that comes on the install disk do the work of partitioning.

Dale is right, although I've never tried one, the distros that are called Live CDs are a great way to get the look and feel of Linux without installing. When you know you like it then you can think about installing.

Here's a great list of Live Linux CD distros:
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 07-31-2005 06:25 AM

Have Knoppix Live on a VM and it seems to work----hmmmm---OK.
Too bad 95% of all progs are written for windoze.

Return to “FF IT Tech”