Moderator: Super Moderators

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Technology 'Optimists' Turn Off TV

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 08-04-2005 06:31 AM

Well.... guess it's time to retire. :)

Technology 'Optimists' Turn Off TV -- Study
By Paul Bond

Broadband Internet surfers in North America watch two fewer hours of television per week than do those without Internet access, while those using a dial-up connection watch 1.5 fewer hours of TV.

The data come from a Forrester Research study released Tuesday that uses what it calls the longest-running survey of its kind, counting nearly 69,000 people in the U.S. and Canada as participants.

Broadband Internet users watch just 12 hours of TV per week, compared with 14 hours for those who are offline, according to the study, "The State of Consumers and Technology: Benchmark 2005."

Forrester also predicts that the number of broadband households in the U.S., which already soared to 31 million at the end of last year from 2.6 million in 1999, will swell to 71.4 million by 2010.

While its conclusion that Internet usage detract from other media is not new, the study delves deeper than others, separating consumers into various categories, including technology "optimists" and "pessimists" and "tenured nomadic networkers."

Folks making up the latter category have had Internet access in their networked homes for at least five years and own a laptop computer. These nomads watch just 10.8 hours of TV each week.

While newspapers and magazines also suffer a bit from Internet competition, radio and video games do not, the study concludes.

The study defines a tech optimist as believing technology will make life more enjoyable, while pessimists are indifferent or even hostile to technology. Pessimists outnumber optimists 51%-49%.

"Online media attracts technology optimists in droves," says the report, noting that they are three times more likely to use streaming media and peer-to-peer file sharing and read blogs as are their pessimistic counterparts.

Optimists play video games, read magazines and listen to the radio more than do pessimists, while pessimists watch more television. Newspaper reading, according to the study, is identical among the two groups.

Another conclusion reached by the study is that "consumers went device crazy in 2004," snapping up all sorts of digital entertainment gadgets, with adoption rates of many poised for more explosive growth in the next six years.

Experiencing the most rapid growth might be digital video recorders, which will be in 42.7 million U.S. households in 2010, up from 6.2 million at the end of last year.

In the same time frame, DVD recorders will go to 56 million from 12.1 million; MP3 players to 40.1 million from 10.8 million; DVD players to 102.9 million from 76.2 million; and video game consoles to 48.8 million from 40.1 million.

The report, though, appears to give short shrift to satellite radio, not including it in its U.S. household technology adoption forecast -- though it does note in a section on in-car device ownership that cars equipped with satellite radios will double to 5% in 2005 and that buyers of Audis have the highest adoption rate of satellite radios. The same section notes that in-car MP3 players are most popular in Acuras, Isuzus and Lexuses, while in-car video is most popular with GMC buyers.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 08-04-2005 07:24 AM

I only get one channel (since I'll never give Time Warner the time of day or my money...they didn't carry TechTV when I was thinking about it). The channel is where Fred works...WLIO. Does anyone really need any more than a local NBC? Nah;)

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 08-04-2005 08:27 AM

what no fox? gotta get the facs - fair accurate and crappy!

when i was at a job last year with internet access i would go to wsvn dot com and click on video and you could their local newscasts from miami. this was great during the long cold and dark months of winter to see what the weather was in miami.

andy

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 08-04-2005 02:07 PM

TABwebmaster wrote: I only get one channel (since I'll never give Time Warner the time of day or my money...they didn't carry TechTV when I was thinking about it). The channel is where Fred works...WLIO. Does anyone really need any more than a local NBC? Nah;)

We'll have to get you one of the Digital Stream HD3150 DTV receivers and a "key" and you can watch channel 8.3 on the digital side. (our test channel). :) You never know what's going to be there.

Speaking of which, I've been testing this in our shop and it's an amazing little receiver. It's the Digital Stream HD-3150, and I've found it for as low as $199.99. Note, you need a screed for this unit. It's JUST a receiver/decoder. Outputs are RGB, HD capable component, S-Video, coaxial, and digital. RF sensitivity is twice that of the Sam Sung ST series. Google the model number for info, or search for it on Sound & Vision Equipment Reports, or the review in Custom Retailer magazine Jan/Feb 2005. 5-star IMHO.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-04-2005 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Fred_Vobbe
We'll have to get you one of the Digital Stream HD3150 DTV receivers and a "key" and you can watch channel 8.3 on the digital side. (our test channel). :) You never know what's going to be there.

Speaking of which, I've been testing this in our shop and it's an amazing little receiver. It's the Digital Stream HD-3150, and I've found it for as low as 9.99. Note, you need a screed for this unit. It's JUST a receiver/decoder. Outputs are RGB, HD capable component, S-Video, coaxial, and digital. RF sensitivity is twice that of the Sam Sung ST series. Google the model number for info, or search for it on Sound & Vision Equipment Reports, or the review in Custom Retailer magazine Jan/Feb 2005. 5-star IMHO.

Wow! Then Mark will have 100% hi-def content! Everybody else gets what, 2-3%? I'm in no rush for any hi-def.. Out of my price-range/budget but there is still barely anything out there. I heard that ESPNHD has only a couple new HD events a week and that's typical. I'd at least wait till the new blu laser discs come out before investing anything in hidef..

There is a definite need for more content.

But don't listen to me, I'm a cheap, grumpy-ol' bastard. Image

:D

As to your fine article, I think they have it high for this broadband user. I watch very little TV - especially since I don't have cable and am limited to five channels on my rabbit ears. If I put an outside antenna up I could get 4-5 more, but I get all the networks plus UPN. The WB requires an antenna but haven't seen any need - except for the Cardinal games..

Good article. Thanks for posting it here. :cool:

Return to “FF IT Tech”