Help Desk

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 12-29-2005 01:29 PM

i had my son transfer some mp3 files from a data cd that had 40 mp3's and some jpg's and it took him 3 blank audio cd's to transfer the same amount of info from a data cd. so, make sure you use a data cd.

also, how many meg's are usually used by an audio book?

andy

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 01-18-2006 09:39 PM

Patty posted this call for help with downloading mp3 stream from C2C. Having some problems. Can anyone help?

Here's the link to her thread in the C2C Radio thread section:

showthread.php?s=&postid=340804#post340804

Thx
;)

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 01-19-2006 12:50 AM

What the hell is a "ccApp" file and how do I get rid of it?

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 01-19-2006 01:14 AM

Cpt Spike Mike wrote: What the hell is a "ccApp" file and how do I get rid of it?

Spike,

Do you use Norton Anti-Virus?

If so:
Description:
ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

If not:ccapp.exe is also a process belonging to the media.fastclick adware which creates advertising popups on your computer and sends Internet usage information back to it's company's servers. This is a registered security risk and should be terminated immediatly.

**Determining whether this process is a virus or a Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from in WinTasks.**

(Courtesy of Google) :)

Free Removal Tool: True Sword

Hope this helps, all from Google, not my personal experience.
Last edited by SetiCruncher on 01-19-2006 01:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Mr Abstact
Pirate

Post by Mr Abstact » 01-25-2006 01:31 AM

How do shrink a picture to fit the attach file option on this forum?

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 01-25-2006 03:48 AM

You need an image editing program like Photoshop or the one that comes with
Windows...Microsoft Paint and just reduce the size. There are some free online tools that you can do this with but I don't have the links with me here at work.

Mr Abstact
Pirate

Post by Mr Abstact » 01-26-2006 06:33 PM

Thanks for the help TABwebmaster .

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 01-26-2006 07:15 PM

Take a look over at http://www.imageshack.us - free webhosting for pictures with some useful options... one will 'shink' an uploaded picture down to more friendly dimensions, the other (more useful) will let you upload the picture at it's original size, and then provide you a 'hotlink' showing a thumbnail of the picture and with the option to click to see the full size picture.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

palosheights
Pirate

download speeds

Post by palosheights » 05-26-2006 10:42 AM

have a quick question about watching videos on my computer
from youtube and other sites and how some times they stop
and other times they play okay. i ran a speed test on my cable
connection and it came up 0.875 mps or 9 seconds per meg.
my son got a new amd 64 bit 512meg ram laptop and his
speedtest came up 5.8 mps or 1.2 seconds per meg. my laptop
is 650 mhz 512 meg ram pentium m.

we are on the same lynksys router and why should the speeds
be so different? all i want is to get my laptop to run a little faster
so i can watch some videos without that herky jerky video.

any help would be appreciated.

andy

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-27-2006 09:23 PM

Andy I am not connected with anyone now, thank goodness but I can tell you when I was routed with my son a couple of years back we both slowed down on downloads, video, especially games, I don't play them but my son did. I have no problems now and I have a 5 year old PC with 512 memory 877mghz and Pen 3. My download speed it anywhere from 750 mp to 1.2, not bad. It was better by the way when we weren't both online at the same time.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-28-2006 05:14 AM

Sounds to me like you have plenty of speed Andy. More than enough to watch online video in most cases. Shirley's right, sharing a connection can impede your dl speed. So can running other internet apps on your machine that are using your network resources, like your browser, podcast downloader bittorrent client, VOIP client, IM client, etc..even your email client might cause a minor slowdown.

With those videos, as any download on the 'net, you are also dependent on their server's upload speed to you and their ability to handle the traffic that those sites generate to their clips. If you and 5 other guys with broadband are hitting that at the same time and they don't have a big enough pipe to accommodate you all at the same time there will be considerable lag time.

As for the test discrepancy - the accuracy of those tests are totally dependant on traffic on your network...or lack of it, Make sure you are using the same test to the same servers at similar traffic situations. If your system is off and the kid's laptop runs a test he will get spectacular results compared to you running the exact same test while he's online playing Worlds of Warcraft..

I don't have the fastest connection -- rated to be up to 1.5 Mbps but more realistic is around 1.2. But with those videos I sometimes have to hit the pause button and let them cache to the TEMP file for little bit before I can watch them all the way thru without hitches.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-28-2006 10:52 AM

Andy there is another thing I do which is block programs like my Nero burner program, WinMx, Diskkeeper, WinAmp etc. since I don't use these on a daily basis I enable them as needed, it is amazing what runs in the background. My McAfee AOL Privacy Firewall allows me to go in and block whatever I want manually. Don't know what firewall you have but Norton and Alarm Zone lets you do the same thing.

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 05-28-2006 04:14 PM

thanks everyone for your replies. i try to keep my system at a minimum by uacksing ctrl-alt-del and make sure nothing is running in the background and also end the processes for svhost.exe that are running too.

have heard that if someone is on the internet also it does slow things down this even includes your neighbors!!!
andy
i guess i will use dale's suggestion and just hit the pause button until the cache cathces up.

it's just a pain and i don't want to spend another 1,000 bucks when what i got is just fine because if i did i would purchase this laptop:

Dell Inspiron E1705 Core™ Duo T2300, 1.66GHz, 17" WXGA, 2GB RAM, 100GB, 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), 802.11b/g, Bluetooth, Advanced HD Audio, Windows XP Professional, 2yr At-Home Warranty For $1252

andy

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-13-2006 01:20 AM

Post your symtoms here Starrphyre -- and what you've done and I'll see what I can do.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Starrphyre
Pirate

Post by Starrphyre » 07-13-2006 01:30 AM

Dale O Sea wrote: Post your symtoms here Starrphyre -- and what you've done and I'll see what I can do.
Well, since I've been messing with it for two days, it is hard to back track. I downloaded Firefox, carefully I thought reading every word. Then I thought it said to install Thunderbird to get e-mail through Mozilla so I tried because I was having trouble with Outlook Express. It was doing stuff that I was told by the techs that it couldn't do-- it was throwing names from my address book onto my "blocked" sender list and then making rules about them. Right now I can't even remember why I couldn't negotiate Firefox. I said to hell with it and tried to go back. Now I get a message when I try to open an attachment in Outlook Express that says, "c is not a registered protocol."

You are missing the show with my mess. You are too nice.
Last edited by Starrphyre on 07-13-2006 01:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Before God we are all equally wise--and equally foolish. ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “FF IT Tech”