Is someone using my wifi?

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

lunacat
Pirate

Is someone using my wifi?

Post by lunacat » 08-03-2006 06:58 PM

For the life of me, I can't figure out if someone is able to do this with my computer. I get the little Dell popup from the toolbar icons saying it cannot establish a wireless connection for me (even though I'm already online, I use dialup, and have never officially setup a wireless connection for this computer). Since I live in an apartment, I wonder if someone can latch onto my WiFi without my knowledge?
Would that slow my dialup connection?

I do see other area connections that are 'available' (I guess these would be my surrounding neighbors) ...some are secure (require a password) others are not, which means if I wanted, I could use them as a risky, unsafe wireless connection. Could someone be doing that to me?

Is there any way to find out?
Any ideas would be much appreciated:).

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 08-03-2006 07:46 PM

I subscribe to Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security and it detects and blocks anyone from trying to use my wi-fi connection. I designate only the computers that I want and any other computer trying to get a connection is blocked.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/us/personal.htm

BTW, I'm on a Dell also...

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 08-04-2006 12:53 AM

Thanks for replying Ivy:),
Is that what you use as a firewall too? I actually bought the PCcillan software when I had my old laptop and I had to uninstall it...it caused so much slowdown:rolleyes: .

I wonder if my Macafee service has something like that though...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-04-2006 01:02 AM

Lunacat you should set up your wireless properly and use a password only access, if you have an open connection anyone can use it and dialup is slow enough.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-04-2006 01:10 AM

If you are just using your dialup exclusively you should disable your wifi connection. Not sure how to do that but it has to be fairly simple. Look in your Network Connections folder for the wifi conn. then disable it. That should free up some resources too as your Dell keeps looking for wifi and doesn't find it.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 08-04-2006 02:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Shirley and Dale:).

Dale, I didn't realize I could actually disable the wifi itself. I finally found where I could do that so hopefully that should at least keep the little balloons from bugging me all the time. It was happening a lot more than before and made me wonder if it was something more than meets the eye.
Thanks again:).

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 08-05-2006 05:30 PM

i do know that they can hijack your phone line and start making calls to the south pacific countries that can run up phone charges in the thousands and thousands of dollars.

andy

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-05-2006 06:46 PM

Yes Andy, they sure can, if you have a dialup modem anyway. They can't with a DSL or cable connection.

Lunacat. rather than just disabling that wifi connection just delete it - drag it to the recycle bin. It's very easy to run the connection wizard if you ever need it again.

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-06-2006 12:51 PM

palosheights wrote: i do know that they can hijack your phone line and start making calls to the south pacific countries that can run up phone charges in the thousands and thousands of dollars.

andy

A friend of mine got hit this way. He ended up with a $1000.00 Phone bill.

He tried to fight it as it was the phone company that provided his dial up service, but becuase it was his machine that was infected and not an ISP issue he was held liable and had to pay the full bill.

An expensive learning experience for him. Needless to say he keeps a "Cleaner" system now.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 08-09-2006 03:58 AM

Dale,
Fortunately, I never established one of my own(where you go through the wizard). Is that what you're talking about? The connections I was able to see (listed as 'available connections') weren't mine.
Lol, does that mean I've been worried over nothing then? I thought maybe my wifi would still be detectible without actually establishing a connection of my own.

The phoneline itself can't call outside of a certain area(all the dialup connections are w/i 12 miles)...I have the low-income phone plan (since apparently, I still qualify) and never chose a long-distance carrier. I suppose someone could figure a way to get around it...but it would probably just be easier finding another target.

Would a dialup modem be able to get around that though?
:confused: :confused:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-09-2006 09:57 AM

I have satellite internet -- with a dialup for backup (satellite direct shuts down with heavy Tstorms - not due to water, but electricity in air -ya know lightning). The wifi requires a password in order to access it - way we set it up. Same with all our connections - all require password.

---

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 08-09-2006 05:58 PM

Cherry,
Apparently there are ways for people to get around the password. What made me concerned was this bit I read on Craigslist's Rants and raves section a few days ago. The last part after the 'P.S.' is what worried me the most. I figured if this guy is bragging about it like that, how many others are doing the same thing, but are smart enough to keep it to themselves?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rnr/189419269.html

In spite of the jerkiness and wondering if this could be happening to me, it did make me chuckle.
:p
Last edited by lunacat on 08-09-2006 06:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FF IT Tech”