Computer Dust Build Up

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Computer Dust Build Up

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-04-2006 02:49 PM

I cracked open an old computer case the other day, its been about a year since I've opened up this particular machine.

I was floored at the amount of dust build up inside the box and immediately grabbed my compressed air and blew it out and cleaned out all my fans.

My computer cases are rarely opened unless they require some kind of maintenance. So they remain for the most part a closed system.

The room the computers are kept in has an air purifier that runs 24/7 to pull dust and other crap out of the air, and the air conditioner in the room window also filters out dust.

Anyone have any other idea's to help prevent dust build up inside busy systems? :confused:
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-04-2006 03:09 PM

Anyone have any other idea's to help prevent dust build up inside busy systems?

Get rid of all that (unnecessary) carpeting in your home, or at least in your computer room, and then put an air cleaner in there. The difference is like night vs. day. Carpeting is also not very healthy for humans and pets either.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-04-2006 03:46 PM

I agree with Div, carpets and the maintenance thereof kicks up a lot of dust. If you don't want to lose your plush shag then at least make sure you have a good vacuum that filters out ALL the dust. But I don't think there's much else that can be done that you haven't aleady..you have good, clean filters on your AC, not the airy kind you can see thru - get the dense ones marked anti-allergen. Pets are a richh source of dust and fuzz. Not much you can do about them if they are groomed and bathed, except I've heard of some cats and dogs that let their owners vacuum them. People are a worse cause of dander-dust but you can't do much there.

Depending on the case your PC(s) is in, there are aftermarket filters that can be added. But the case would have to be designed for this and be fairly air-tight to allow airflow only through the filters and not, like my Dell, through the USB ports and the floppy drive. My floppy only lasted a little over a year before I started getting errors and it was eating discs. But I never used it anyway after the floppy drive went out on my Sony Mavika for likely the same reason...and old age, heh.

But even if you do all this it's still recommended you crack open the case once a year and do a thorough cleaning. I use a vacuum with a brush attachment and an old, soft paint brush to get the fans and tight spots.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-04-2006 04:12 PM

Dale, once a year isn't enough, I clean mine out every couple of months, a year I think is way too long and it is always a good idea to check out the connections inside to make sure everything is seated correctly, not long ago my memory cards were slightly loose and my PC wouldn't start, took them out and reinstalled them and now it is fine.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-04-2006 04:54 PM

Sorry for going OT, but I couldn't resist .. someone said CATS! ;-)
except I've heard of some cats and dogs that let their owners vacuum them
MY cat lets me do that - ha. She is totally afraid of the vacuum, but one day when I was cleaning she became trapped in the room as I was cleaning near the door and she couldn't escape. When she tried, and came close enough, I told her to sit and stay. She listens to me explicitly and totally trusts me, and so she obeyed and sat there. I decided to see if she would let me vacuum her, and although she initially tried to run off, when I told her to STAY, she did. The first time I tried this she was terrified, but she remained there frozen while I ran the brush attached to the hose over her - ha. Afterwards, I felt kind of bad about doing that, because I picked her up afterwards and hear poor little heart was beating like crazy. Poor kitty - mean me! ha. But later, over time, she became more use to the vacuum and now she is not frightened by it.

It's funny that you mentioned that because just the other day I was cleaning when my daughter stopped by and I showed her that. Of course, I don't think this is anything particular to any cat - it's just a matter of trust and how you treat them and teach them things. I'm sure I could teach almost any other cat the same thing. I treat them not as if they are mere animals, but as if they are like actual children and equal members of the family. This is just another example of THAT which has contributed to how I've changed recently and how I now see the world and all the life upon this planet. I now regularly visit the zoo and play with the kitties there too. Cats are wonderfully intelligent creatures, and they can also tell stories too (but it does take weeks to get one out of them).

Please forgive for deviating OT, but I do love animals so much now, sometimes more than many humans. As payment for my transgression, below is one of my favorite kitties I visit at the zoo (she is swimming in the water towards me in this one when I took this photo), and the photo is yours to do with as you please.
Image --- click for 1400x800 (the bandwidth is on me - 938kb)
Doesn't she have such pretty eyes ... how can we decimate such beautiful creatures is beyond my comprehension ...

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-04-2006 05:38 PM

Beautiful pic div. :cool:

Before I read all your post I was wondering how it was Photoshopped. I've seen a similar effect duplicated digitally..but yours looks much nicer.

Thanks for your generosity, too, as I think this is a very marketable $nap$hot.

And before your ask, no, I don't know how to go about selling photos.

:)

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-05-2006 08:17 AM

Thanks for the input here folks :)

I'll definitely have to set up a regular maintenance schedule, and make sure I crack open each system a couple times a year just to deal with dust build up.

Its never caused any issues, that I'm aware of, but I was absolutely shocked at the degree of build up.

I know, I'll blame the cats! :D

Bad kitty!!!! :)

P.S.: Divinorumus, love the Pic, But... I'd hate to see that litter box :eek:
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Return to “FF IT Tech”