Dell Computers

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Dell Computers

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-22-2006 12:23 PM

I've been looking at Laptops for well over a year and after comparing prices and specs and just being plain picky I finally placed an order for a LapTop through Dell.

I just hung up with them moments ago and talk about frustrating!
The sales people are pushy and extremely difficult to understand. The guy I was talking too sounded like he was in india.

It was everything I could do not to tell him off, when he relentlessly tried to push products and services down my throat I wasn't interested in. Although I can see how this approach would score big sales with people who don't know anything about computers or what they want.

I've always heard good things about Dell Sales and service, but I'm beginnnig to wonder what Nightmare I just signed on to. Its everything I can do not to cancel the Credit Card number I gave this guy.

Oh well, guess all I can do now is sit back and hope for the best. If all goes well my new Notebook should be here in 12 - 14 business days.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-22-2006 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Dell SC. If it's any consolation, I've heard the Dell laptops are a good choice for the money from a pretty reliable source - ol' Leo Laporte. I bought a Dell desktop about 4½ years ago and have only dealt with their customer service once and that was something so trivial that I can't remember what it was now so maybe you will have the same luck with your system. If anything cropped up I handled it myself but you may not have that option with a laptop (technically they're all calling them "notebooks" now since they're too hot to run on your lap - the exploding batteries don't help much either). But notebook upgrades/repairs aren't as user-friendly, as I'm sure you're well aware. . Good luck with your new machine. I'm going to have to find some new hardware soon myself as my youngest has two HS programming classes this go-round and likely more to come. I want to build this one myself. The older style processors are getting very cheap with the new Core® chips out now. What's going to hurt worst is going to be buying an OS. I'm about ready for a change from Windoze so Linux is looking real good right now.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 08-22-2006 01:48 PM

If you buy though a business you get an US call center. The business complained enough. I have a dell laptop that is 3 years old I got it for my graduate work. Because I could not have down time in school I sprung for the top level matice package. It was well spent money. I have had 2 key boards 3 mother boards and 2 hard drives. All replaced with in 24 hours at my location with no questions asked.

Spam
Life is short drink good coffee.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-22-2006 03:21 PM

Sam thanks for thumps up on Dell, am looking into it. My son-in-law thinks they rule, he has had things replaced and like you within 24 hours. Little hint...........when I call for support if I don't get an American that I don't understand I hang up and try again until I do, no use getting all frustrated when you call because you are usually already upset in the first place or you wouldn't be calling. Thank goodness I rarely have to call and most times I end up solving the problem myself.

For those who may not be able to afford a new Dell laptop, friend of mine got one two years old from Overstock.com for $400.00, all she had to do was upgrade the memory for $40.00. She got it about a year ago and no problems.
Last edited by Shirleypal on 08-22-2006 03:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-22-2006 08:14 PM

Thank you for the positive input.

I've heard so much good about them that I'm sure it won't be as bad as it seemed dealing with this the sales counter today.

I guess I'll find out in three weeks or so when the Notebook arrives. I've also taken out a three year warrenty just in case.

I'm still wondering why I spent that kind of money, but I guess it'll be worth it. I hope. :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 08-23-2006 08:15 AM

everybody has a dell nowadays. i had to get a laptop for my son and he picked out duo core acer as5004mli that was going for $885 at newegg. he had his heart set on this laptop and of course while conttemplating the purchase i received an email from circuit city and they had the same laptop for $749 for online purchase only. the deal included the free printer/scanner and free wireless router and i got the two year warranty, all four 899, of course there were rebates, but they were done automatically by circuit city online.

andy

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-27-2006 11:50 AM

O.k. now I'm pissed :mad:

I placed my order with Dell on Aug 22nd, today I check my order status on their website and it informs me my order has been cancelled :confused:

I just called Dell to find out why and was put on hold. After spending 30 minutes on hold I hung up.

If this is the award winning Dell service that so many people rave about being so great, I tell you I am not impressed.

If they don't get this sorted out quickly I'm going to tell them to shove their computer and spend my money locally!
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

SilentBlue
Pirate

Post by SilentBlue » 08-27-2006 12:28 PM

SetiCruncher wrote: O.k. now I'm pissed :mad:

I placed my order with Dell on Aug 22nd, today I check my order status on their website and it informs me my order has been cancelled :confused:

I just called Dell to find out why and was put on hold. After spending 30 minutes on hold I hung up.

If this is the award winning Dell service that so many people rave about being so great, I tell you I am not impressed.

If they don't get this sorted out quickly I'm going to tell them to shove their computer and spend my money locally!
A friend of mine pre ordered a top end Dell over a month ago, he asked me to check out any info on why his order has been set back several times.

It appears there are problems with "some" Dell systems and heat, although you will not hear this from Dell, It appears to be an issue with dual core systems, I got this info from several tech forums and It was more or less whispered comments from insiders.

I very seldom interact with customer service on systems, however while repairing a Dell system about a month ago, I had to make the call, 35 minutes of waiting then being told to call another department, I just hung up and formatted the system and didnt bother with calling anymore.

However I have heard others say the liked Dell Customer Support, overall most computers are the same, the parts used are the same and the configeration is basicly the same, just different levels to what a piece of hardware or software config will do.

same crap-different pile :D

The technical reference for the vaste amount of computer problems is PBKAC = Problem Between Keyboard And Chair. :D

Hope you get things settled with Dell, It can be very annoying..good luck..
Tounge Tied & Twisted Just An EarthBound Misfit "I"

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-28-2006 09:25 AM

Still haven't gotten through to Dell to have this issue resolved.

But... Spoke to my Credit Card Company, they show no record of any charge from Dell on my account and there is more then enough credit available to cover the cost of the Notebook I had previously ordered.

So seeing Dell never actually billed my credit card company prior to cancelling my order for reasons that remain unknown at this time, I think I'll say to heck with it and wash my hands with a company that clearly cannot get their act together.

I'll have to take a step down in specs and likely a step up in price but I think I'll go back to looking locally for a laptop instead. I'm done dealing with the bungling morons that call themselves Dell.

I've had my eye on the Mac Powerbook and Sony Vaio for sometime now, maybe if I can find a decent deal, I'll buy one of those locally instead.
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-28-2006 10:56 AM

Probably for the best SC. You said something about "...the award winning Dell service that so many people rave about..." You must have gotten that from Dell ads or something because I've heard that their service and support is their weakest link - and has been since they outsourced it. But they have a strong sales force so don't expect to be getting off just by canceling your order. The sales sharks will have none of that - not with the fresh blood of your approved credit sale in the water.

With high school and college classes starting all of the the US this month this is the busiest month for any PC maker for order filling. I suspect that's what became of your order - too many new student orders coming in for the order takers to deal with and their builders to keep up on. Sounds like if they handle very many more requests like yours they won't be the #1 seller much longer. Sorry you're having suck a rough time of it. Busy time of year to get a PC. Be wary of the bargains...You get what you pay for most of the time. The Mac sounds good but they're very busy this time of year too so it might take awhile there also.

I've heard real good things about the Lenovo Notebooks but don't know if you can do that locally. If you can't find one in your price range and you can wait you might be better off doing so. Demand is high right now. This should cool a little in the next month or so...but I'd act before xmas or wait till after the first of the year...Good luck! :)

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 08-28-2006 09:23 PM

Thats good advice, Thanks Dale. I'll keep my eyes open here and who knows I just may stumble across something better :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 08-28-2006 09:39 PM

I had a Dell laptop built. They didn't charge my account until right before it shipped. Be careful or you might end up with 2 laptops.

I'm not crazy about Dell service. I and others (after visiting the Dell forum) had wayward pointers that would go all over the screen. You couldn't do anything when it was doing this. It took Dell 2 years to get a patch fix for this.... otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with it. My next laptop will not be a Dell....

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-29-2006 10:26 AM

I bought my husband a Dell lappy - not quite two yrs ago -- have had little or no problems with it. Did replace battery and no the battery is not the "bad one"... Had excellent service with them. Got son a Gateway (they had some great student sales going on) for his college work - so far haven't had too many problems from what he tells me. Only problem he had was a faulty software program - which software company fixed.

Have a very OLD Dell lappy - it has funky screen - but its only used for a car diagnostics program....ergo the screen is really not a problem. (Screen is "dull")

LoneWolf Texan
Pirate

Post by LoneWolf Texan » 08-30-2006 03:20 PM

My friend has a dell laptop and has had nothing but problems with their SC. He says the people are being outsourced over to India and all they do is read from a stupid manual.

Personally, Ive always bought Compaq. They main HQ is here in Houston and not 20 minutes from where I live. Ive always had good dealings with their customer service and their tech support people. If your still having problems, I would suggest buying a Compaq.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 08-30-2006 08:12 PM

Well, I suppose I've been lucky in dealing with dell. Purchased the dell 4700C a couple of years ago. Through the net they constantly ask and update stuff on my sys.

Sorry to read about your not-so-good experiences with dell. Hope it all works out for yah:)

Clatu

Return to “FF IT Tech”