Laptop Questions

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Laptop Questions

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-14-2006 10:49 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a bit new to the world of computer notebooks, there are a couple things I've been wondering about that hopefully someone can help me out with:

1) Is it safe to run a laptop 24/7, I've thought about linking my laptop to my SETI account and use it to do a little data crunching, but would it be safe to leave it running when I'm not around to keep an eye on it?

2) In a wireless equipt notebook, is it possible for someone to hack into your laptop if your wirelss WLAN is on and detecting wireless networks nearby, but your computer is NOT actually connected to a network? Can someone connect to your wireless capable machine even when you are not connected to a wireless network?

Any feedback or input appreciated,

Thanks,

SC
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 09-15-2006 06:25 AM

sc, i have a six year old gateway laptop and leave it on all the time with no problems. one thing though i would remove the battery if you're not moving around with it. this is just to extend the life the battery so you can use when you really need it. the less you use it the longer it lasts.

andy

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 09-15-2006 07:13 AM

sc, to add further regarding wireless, i found this info from scienceday:

Unintended and intended use by outsiders

The default configuration of most Wi-Fi access points provides no protection from unauthorized use of the network. Many business and residential users do not intend to secure their access points, instead leaving them open to users in the area. It has become etiquette to leave access points open for others to use just as one can expect to find open access points while on the road.

Measures to deter unauthorized users include suppressing the AP's service set identifier (SSID) broadcast, allowing only computers with known MAC addresses to join the network, and various encryption standards. Older access points frequently do not support adequate security measures to protect against a determined attacker armed with a packet sniffer and the ability to switch MAC addresses. Recreational exploration of other people's access points has become known as wardriving, and the leaving of graffiti describing available services as warchalking. It should be noted that these activities are illegal in many countries, including the United Kingdom.

However, it is also common for people to unintentionally use others' Wi-Fi networks without authorization. Operating systems such as Windows XP and Mac OS X automatically connect to an available wireless network, depending on the network configuration. A user who happens to start up a laptop in the vicinity of an access point may find the computer has joined the network without any visible indication. Moreover, a user intending to join one network may instead end up on another one if the latter's signal is stronger. In combination with automatic discovery of other network resources (see DHCP and Zeroconf) this can lead wireless users to send sensitive data to the wrong destination, as described by Chris Meadows in the February 2004 RISKS Digest. [

andy

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-15-2006 08:55 PM

Thanks Palo,

Appreciate the info. The world of portable computeing and wireless surfing is pretty new for me and so far I'm enjoying the ability to "Borrow" a connection when out and about :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-16-2006 02:39 PM

Glad your cooking, this is what my son has on one of his PC's, he is building me one similar to this.

My Rig --
WinXp pro sp2
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ /Thermaltake volcano7
MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
1gig PC3200
BFG Geforce 6800 GT oc 256mb
Nvidia 6ch Sound
Pioneer DVDrom 40x
Sony CDRW/DVD 52x
RealMagic DVD Hollywood plus
Pinnacle TV tuner card
19" Viewsonic WideScreen Lcd