Firefox 3 release - IE sends a cake

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Firefox 3 release - IE sends a cake

Post by Linnea » 06-17-2008 09:33 PM

The cake is a lie: IE team bakes a treat for Mozilla

By Ryan Paul | Published: June 17, 2008 - 07:14PM CT

In honor of today's Firefox 3 release, Microsoft's Internet Explorer team gave a cake to Mozilla. The tasty treat, which prominently displays IE's blue "e" icon, just arrived here at Mozilla headquarters in Mountain View.

The cake congratulates Mozilla on shipping Firefox 3 and expresses love from the IE team. Microsoft's IE developers also sent a cake to Mozilla in 2006 following the release of Firefox 2, so this is clearly becoming a tradition.

Portal jokes aside, the cake is a very friendly gesture of goodwill. As we have noted recently, the Internet Explorer team could learn a lot from Mozilla. Closer cooperation between Microsoft and Mozilla on standards and web innovation would be a big win for everyone. But until Microsoft gets its act straightened out, Mozilla will be eating Internet Explorer's marketshare in addition to cake.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 06-17-2008 09:45 PM

Mozilla is too ingrained in the UNIX/LINUX world for Microsoft to even entertain a merger of sorts.

There was a big blow-up a few years ago when MS invested in Corel then found out they were developing Corel WordPerfect for Linux also. MS pulled the funding of about $48 million.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 06-17-2008 11:49 PM

I've been using Firefox for awhile, with Windows and Linux.

I first found it weird that when I click on the update button it tells me there isn't one available.

So I go to the site and download it.

The tool bar right off the bat is very slick looking. But I have to say I'm not impressed at all with the URL bar. It sticks URL's in, it seems randomly, of sites or posts in sites that you visit. And it gives an expanded version of said sites. Looks intrusive.

I for one am very leary of this so far and may even return to Firefox 2.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 06-18-2008 12:00 PM

I've got both, and have to say, I still have a tendency to gravitate back to Internet Explorer. I prefer the way the tab system works.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 06-22-2008 12:47 AM

Firefox all the way! Especially now that 3.0 is available. Over 14 million downloads last I checked:D I have a friend who thinks Safari is better than both. Maybe better than IE since IE is so riddled with holes and memory leaks and security risks...but not better than Firefox. MHO

Return to “FF IT Tech”