This Is How Amazon's Alexa Records And Shares Private Conversations Without Your Permission

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

This Is How Amazon's Alexa Records And Shares Private Conversations Without Your Permission

Post by Doka » 05-25-2018 09:31 AM

And she is so nice! :twisted:

As it turns out, the scandal over Amazon's Alexa voice-controlled personal assistant recording and sharing private conversations both with hackers and with people on the users' contact list is much more serious than the company had feared.

As Bloomberg reported, Amazon responded to a KIRO 7 news report about a couple who received a call from a friend saying "unplug your Alexa devices right now. You’re being hacked" after the company's device had shared a private conversation without explicit permission.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05- ... permission
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Re: This Is How Amazon's Alexa Records And Shares Private Conversations Without Your Permission

Post by kbot » 05-25-2018 10:59 AM

Just read about this and was about to post but you've beaten me to it Doka.

It's funny (in a way) but both my wife and I have been kind of afraid to go the "smart house" route for exactly this reason, but then you think that people will say that you're being crazy and, and conspiracy-theory minded and maybe even paranoid (guilt on all counts, BTW.....), but this does make me wonder just how this technology can be exploited.

Scary.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Re: This Is How Amazon's Alexa Records And Shares Private Conversations Without Your Permission

Post by Doka » 05-25-2018 06:41 PM

Ha! I agree with you Kbot, it is rather "un-nerving" to those of us who where not born into it. If you are going to buy a new tv, dishwasher, fridge, stove, washer, dryer or car, anything else that you can think about it all is going to be "Smart".

This old "Fartress" remembers the ancient phone out on our back porch, with 4 or 5 families on the same line, no privacy there either :) or a washing machine that had 2 cylinders, you put your clothes through to get the water out of them. I didn't have the literal experience with an "ice box" but our new refrigerator could have easily fit into the Huge ones they have today. I learned how to drive in a "stick shift" car, 'cause they where cheaper, not because it was "Cool". The 1st car I ever drove with an automatic transmission, was my Grandparents new car, I was 16 and got my driver license in it. Which was a relief, because in those days The DMV made you park on a hill ,going up, it was a real challenge, in an old stick shift, you had to use your emergency brake, clutch and gas petal in sinc, not kill the engine and roll backwards down the hill, an automatic failure, provided you and the "test guy" lived. :rolleyes: That was maybe was when the 1st thought of "adult diapers" came into play........ Today, I have no idea, how a drivers test is, show them your car keys and get your license ??

Conspiracy Theories are a thing of the past, for way over 50 years I waded deeply into them, now I just watch them become today's reality at an alarming rate. :shock:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Return to “FF IT Tech”