Whooping Cranes, as free birds, are still so rare! Have you seen 'em up close? I did today!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Whooping Cranes, as free birds, are still so rare! Have you seen 'em up close? I did today!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 01-19-2019 07:38 PM

:mrgreen:

At 9:30 AM this morning the wind driven rain was cold as I tried a waterfowl hunt near the end of season after work. No ducks were seen on the plentiful sheet water in the picked soybean field north of a big drain ditch. Two large white birds were seen on the east side. I knew they were whooping cranes and not snow geese from well over a football field's distance away.

Low and behold withing 30 minutes they had walked back west picking greens, soybeans, etc. In a very short time the pair were 80 feet in front of me! :mrgreen:

The migrating rare birds changed locations so I saw them in three different fields. But each time I took my eyes off them just briefly. They had flown off and I did not see their 7 foot wings in action! It was surely ghost-like not even seeing them in the air as I explained my sighting live on the cell phone to my friend, wife and two daughters! :shock: 8)

See how rare they are in a federal bird census during 2015! :(

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Quivira/wild ... crane.html

MK II :D
Last edited by Malaria_Kidd II on 03-09-2019 03:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one but don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!" :oops: :wink: from 'Gun Shots' on Twitter/ Check out http://malarino.com/ it's 95% Turmeric :!: :mrgreen:

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Re: Whooping Cranes are still so rare! Have you seen 'em up close? I did today!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 01-21-2019 08:01 AM

Riddick, Many high fives for your nice FYI Wisconsious whooping crane nursery video for all to watch. I will definitely check out more info on these rare Avian family jewels of nature on You Tube! :wink:

My e-mail today contained a survey of the Jan/Feb issue of the Ducks Unlimited magazine. To actually see one and complete it was a first for me. Their incentive going out to one lucky winner is a YETI cooler! :D

After several questions I arrived at the comments section. Hm! I just couldn't pass this one up! :mrgreen:

Please feel free to provide any additional comments you may care to make on Ducks Unlimited Magazine.

Since my tip was selected for the Sept/Oct 2000 issue I really miss reading member's tips on waterfowling in America. They once came in as regular as clock work. Bonus! Saturday 1-19-19 after work hauling crumple zone steel for the TOYOTA Highlander SUV I went duck hunting a bit late. 9:30 AM to be exact where I walked into the wooded edge of a harvested soybean field with lots of sheet water but no ducks. The fast North wind's driven rain was fierce! :o

The huge plus was I'd walked within 100 + yards of a pair of whooping cranes feeding busily on tiny green broad leaved plants and possibly soybeans on the east end. Low and behold the pair began walking west 100 yards and then south to within 80 feet of me using an 8" thick tree for cover!

I took 14 pics and I hope they enlarge OK. I called anyone who I thought would like to hear about my live scene of two of the rarest birds in the world! I did feel blessed to walk in on them and even more blessed when the pair walked up to me! My name and town here :mrgreen:

Our pc/smart phone knowledgeable son hopefully will enlarge my pics, pick the best, hit send and soon you will see the wild, super rare pair here! :D

MK II
Last edited by Malaria_Kidd II on 02-20-2019 12:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one but don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!" :oops: :wink: from 'Gun Shots' on Twitter/ Check out http://malarino.com/ it's 95% Turmeric :!: :mrgreen:

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate

Re: Whooping Cranes, as free birds, are still so rare! Have you seen 'em up close? I did today!

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 02-04-2019 02:25 PM

January 19, 2019 - 30 miles N of the Ohio River and 3.5 miles E of the Wabash River in SW Indiana :D 8)

There is a North wind driven water film on my 14 pics! :oops:

9:45 AM :o

CBE6D731-B260-4D56-8E72-43B3A62CC535.jpeg
CBE6D731-B260-4D56-8E72-43B3A62CC535.jpeg (237.19 KiB) Viewed 627 times

MK II :mrgreen:

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”