Pirate Pets -Discussions and advices

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 10-21-2006 11:08 PM

Div - questions (sorry all!) I assume you do only digital photos now, which I have no experience with.

Have you ever hand processed film & negs?

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 10-22-2006 12:25 AM

Have you ever hand processed film & negs?
Oh yeah, photography has always been just another among many hobbies I've enjoyed since I was a teenager and took a class at high school in order to gain access to the photo lab. Then after that, while in the army, practically every military post had a photo lab anyone of us could use, and boy did I! But back then I could never afford my own darkroom equipment, so in civilian life my photographic adventures were limited to the extent of my discretionary income, which wasn't much back then, and considering I had other hobbies too. When digital came along I never really got into that because the quality of those original cameras really sucked big time. Even today there are only a few cameras worthy of replacing films, all of which are Canon cameras (in my personal opinion). Now I shoot exclusively in digital, and I love my Canon 20D (because it has a very low noise CMOS sensor, so it's excellent for beautiful long night exposures with very little digital artifacting). Of course, I've never been really serious about any of my hobbies, so I don't consider myself a pro or anything like that - I just like to capture things I've seen that I'm THANKFUL for witnessing while on this planet! I am highly interested paranormal photography however, as I've captured thangs that just defy any explanation I can come up with (stuff like images of thangs showing up in crystals and other translucent stones, such as faces and castles and animals and more). I've even captured some weird things while doing long exposures of the night sky, and also while capturing reflected light of a spectrum which is invisible to the human eye, but my Canon 20D is not well suited for that since it has an IR filter over the sensor which would be tricky and risky to remove myself ... When I retire, I plan to get into this full time. BTW, digital is unique in that those sensors can capture things film simply can't. Oh, I'll still shoot some film now and then, but only when necessary (i.e. if I want to get a good shot of something I can blow up to a really large poster size print), but since I have no equipment for that myself I have to rely on someone else to process it for me now.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-22-2006 02:35 AM

Note to All You Skeptics:

There is NO ONE who is a greater skeptic than I am. That is because I know what kind of skullduggery goes on in the world of photography! I worked fror an ad agency, in the 1970s, BEFORE digital photography; I know what they could do... There are even better ways of faking things now.

But when I am taking pictures for keepsakes (or to send to relatives) I am one of those perfectionists who makes sure all cigarettes and candles have been out for at least 10 minutes, the doors are open, the fans are going... and we have a fake fireplace (gas jet only) wherein nothing combustible ever burns. Thirty-two seconds prior to this photo, NOTHING was visible; 25 seconds later, NOTHING was visible. In fact, in the 35 photos taken this particular night, even WITH candles and cigarettes burning earlier in the evening, there was NONE of this wipsy-ness. So I am positively SURE this is some other kind of phenomenon. I've never taken another photo in my life, actually, that had anything remotely close to this. Even when it was real film, not digital.

We have always had a tradition on Christmas Eve... we open all of our gifts, and then, just before Midnight, we let the cats open their stockings--usually those stocking are filled with toy balls with bells inside, catnip mice, and other little treasures. We've been doing this since Christmas 1992. We've fostered lots of wonderful cats--animals who were tossed aside, deserted at the vet's office, or given to us at the pet food store (a common drop-off point for people who don't want to take responsibility for a baby they've found). A lot of them have died since 1992... more than those whose names I can readily recall. But the one thing they all have in common is Christmas Eve--the stocking tradition. It's always the same... for all the living animals in our house.

There's an old Mexican Fable--it's called Noche Buena. Traditionally, that's a time just before Midnight on Christmas Eve when the animals and the people can enter a wonderful and mysterious dimension, together. If they both become aware of it at the same time, the animals and the humans can speak to each other and understand each other.

In 1996 Howard had gone to bed and I was sitting in our livingroom with all the regular lights off--just the Christmas decoration lights were lit. I looked at our Blue-point Siamese (Spunky), my lovely Vickie (a Seal-point Siamese) and our resident Old Man Blue-point (Emile), and I had a VISION that rocked me back on my butt.

(And yes, Div, I'd had a little human catnip... but not a lot; at least not THAT much!)

I suddenly saw Vickie sitting on the piano in a black cocktail gown with a long, cigarette holder in her paws... Spunky was in a teal blue three-piece suit with a bow tie, and a cocktail glass in his paw, and Emile was in a silk smoking jacket with a cigar... they were talking back and forth between themselves about life not being too bad, this time around. Suddenly Vickie looked at me and exclaimed, "Oh, dear! She's here with us!" I blinked, and they all jumped down from where they were, and disappeared into other parts of the house, leaving me to think I was going batty.

Not long afterward I ran across an article about Noche Buena... it explained this weird phenomena that the Mexican people have spoken of for several hundred years... the time when the dimensions merge and we can all communicate if we're tuned-in. I couldn't ever be sure... but that tradition came the closest to describing what I perceived that night. One thing is for sure--I never looked at our animals the same way, ever again!

So... when this one photo out of 35 came out with all these wispy things, Howard (the non-theist) blew it up full-screen on his large monitor. HE is the one who found the image of the cat around the cat on the hearth. If you'll look closely, you'll see the ghost cat has one rear leg stretched out, and the other bent normally. Howard yelled at me and said, "Oh, my God! It's Spare Parts!" (Spare Parts had suffered a broken thigh, and had metal implants in one hind leg, for many years. He limped, but it never stopped him for getting wherever he wanted to go. That one leg could never be drawn up or bent like the normal one. And the minute he pointed the image out to me, I knew he was right.) After that I noticed the strange formations of all the wisps, and the two orbs. I think the cats who have passed on must have come back to celebrate Christmas Eve with the rest of us--they must have treasured the love and care they shared while with us, and wanted to feel the warmth of the fireplace, the companionship of other cats, and a little taste of catnip, one more time... Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my sentimental part, but it makes perfect sense to me. Tradition is tradition. And as long as we're alive and have animals, it will remain a Christmas Eve tradition.

That's why this photo is so special to me. And it doesn't matter if any of you believe or not... it's the thought/perception that counts.

I just think it's a very special picture, and wanted to share it with all of you who might find it worthy or a second thought.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 10-22-2006 03:22 AM

Hey, I'll be the first to say that such things MUST BE POSSIBLE .. and I've seen such strange things myself .. so to say otherwise would be impossible for anyone to proclaim without lying, unless of course if, for example, you are religious and somehow know of GODS limitations of powers and thus you can say with certainty that such phenomenon or magic tricks are impossible even for your god to pull-of here in his/her/its own matrix/creation. I'm 100% convinced a ghost could appear and be photographed (I mean, whatever created ME and YOU and all of this certainly must have the 'powers' to make that happen, right?). When I'm skeptical, it doesn't not mean I deny the existence of apples or ghosts or gods or whatever .. I just have to verify first that it ain't a tomato or hallucination or biased wishful thinking instead - especially if it looks like a apple or smoke and mirrors. I mean, I can discover a new thang and hold it up and proclaim it is a whatchamajigit, but that wouldn't be true until it's proven to not be something else instead. I mean, we've all been fooled before, right? Even in our non-lucid dreams we've been TOTALLY fooled and duped (and, by our own minds too .. DOH! so, I can't even trust my own brain and the way it works all the time - ha)!

Anyhow, I'm not saying you don't have something there .. and after all, since none of us were there none of us can KNOW like you KNOW (at most we can only believe you). I'm just saying, for myself, who has taken hundreds and hundreds of photos I'm sure would widen your eyes too, I can't make any claim that I can't verify and validate even for myself ... even if it FEELS or LOOKS like 'whatever' ... and especially when it looks like something else instead ... and I know I've been fooled before ... I tend to avoid making skeptical or wishful conclusions and presenting them as some kind of make-believe truth until I have conclusively exhausted all other explanations. I mean, until I can verify Neo was wrong, and religion is wrong, and that we aren't in ANYONE'S matrix, I look upon all things as suspicious ... and possible ... Hey, just call me too afraid to risk making another foolish mistake and possibly having to come back to hell here again next time - ha, because there might not be an earth to come back to next time ... ... ;-)

Thanks for sharing that photo, I really like to see things like that, because I have a collection of my own too. btw, I never meant to say that ain't a special photo ... fact simply is nobody other than yourself can accept that as proof of anything because we can't validate/verify everything about that photo and scene .. you know what I mean? It's like hearing about UFO reports - nobody can simply take unverifiable evidence as proof enough to KNOW ourselves - we have to SEE ONE OURSELVES to know. Say, we should start a paranormal creatures thread and continue this there ... I might be willing to go back and dig out some of my 'suspicious' photos and post them if there is any interest .. and of course none of them are any kind of proof of anything, but maybe others can recreate some of my experiments and try them out too. I'm sure I've tried various photographic experiments nobody else has even thought of trying yet that might interest some.

added:
yeah, sometimes a bit-o-catnip (a.k.a. red pill) is necessary to open certain possibilities within any dream .. or matrix .. (I mean, that admission certainly does add to the credibility of that capture .. I use a bit-o-potion myself when exploring these things many others haven't and thus can't poo poo until they too try it .. know what I mean wink wink ha)
Last edited by Divinorumus on 10-22-2006 04:08 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-22-2006 09:30 AM

Barbie wrote: I suddenly saw Vickie sitting on the piano in a black cocktail gown with a long, cigarette holder in her paws... Spunky was in a teal blue three-piece suit with a bow tie, and a cocktail glass in his paw, and Emile was in a silk smoking jacket with a cigar... they were talking back and forth between themselves about life not being too bad, this time around. Suddenly Vickie looked at me and exclaimed, "Oh, dear! She's here with us!" I blinked, and they all jumped down from where they were, and disappeared into other parts of the house, leaving me to think I was going batty.

I awakened early this morning and remembered Emile came to me in a dream, sometime during the night; he corrected me--showed me it wasn't a cigar, afterall; it was one of those Sherlock Holmes-type pipes--said he never liked cigars. And when I thought about it, he's absolutely RIGHT! It was a pipe. I stand corrected, and now so does Emile's reputation.:D

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 10-23-2006 01:00 AM

Barbie wrote: I just think it's a very special picture, and wanted to share it with all of you who might find it worthy or a second thought.

Oh gosh, Barbie (and Div, too!) - I apologize if I p*ss*d you off- honestly, I THANK YOU for sharing all that you have. I haven't been able to express myself clearly lately- shouldn't have posted, prolly. :o I definitely wasn't implying that you did anything to the film- I'll try to clarify when I can access the right words in my feeble mind!

Hogs & quiches to all y'all!

PS- Div - :cool: on your photo experience.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 10-27-2006 08:50 PM

Barbie wrote: That's why this photo is so special to me. And it doesn't matter if any of you believe or not... it's the thought/perception that counts.

I just think it's a very special picture, and wanted to share it with all of you who might find it worthy or a second thought.

Hey Barbie - finally got it together to reread the last couple of pages and I believe I understand better now. Again, I'm super sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to come across as trying to debunk the situation/photo so much as just point out some of the technical glitch possibilites that Div did. (I'm not a photographer at all, just did custom printing for a number of years. Was lucky to be able to print for some amazing artists as well as the usual suspects.)

Thanks again for sharing the story :cool: as well as the Noche Buena thing- I think I read a children's book about that - I love that idea.

I like Div's idea about a 'paranormal pet' thread, too. Some of you might be interested in a book an animal communicator friend of mine wrote about her communications with dead or dying animals. It's very touching, and often funny, too. I always viewed the book as a sort of "Chicken Soup For the Soul" for animal lovers. The author, Colleen Nicholson, is really cool - she's not one of those "woo woo" types, she's really down to earth and has a great sense of humor.

http://www.theanimalscommunicator.com/p ... ossing.htm

Black Irish
Pirate

Post by Black Irish » 10-27-2006 09:25 PM

Dixie Butcher wrote: I like Div's idea about a 'paranormal pet' thread, too. Some of you might be interested in a book an animal communicator friend of mine wrote about her communications with dead or dying animals. It's very touching, and often funny, too.

Kewl idea!

Speaking of which...I have the ashes of two of my former cats in the 'lil pine boxes they give you when you have to go through getting them cremated.

I am told that they would prefer to be housed in canopic jars as soon as possible....

Now I am on a mission from God to find some nice ones they approve of on the internet....No dice as yet.
Slán le na laethe a bhí seal go haerach
Muscail ar misneadh trid an domhain mhor

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 10-28-2006 01:03 PM

Black Irish wrote: I am told that they would prefer to be housed in canopic jars as soon as possible....

:D LOL! Hey, I'm curious, when they told you (or someone else who "translated" for you) they wanted canopic jars, were you and/or the channeler aware of what a canopic jar was? ( I had to Google it myself!). If you and/or the channeler didn't know what a canopic jar was, I'd take that as some pretty solid evidence of life after death and also telepathic abilities. :) :cool:

Here are some links for you- don't know if you'll find them satisfactory or not.

http://www.paganshopping.com/Merchant2/ ... gory_Code=

http://www.paganshopping.com/Merchant2/ ... gory_Code=

http://www.emuseumstore.com/product/1396/112

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-29-2006 03:09 AM

By now most of you know about our "twins" (Calvin & Hobbes). They are now a year and 3 months old.

Last Valentine's Day I bought a stuffed spider that sings when its belly is pushed. Hobbes thought it belonged to him... and so we added a couple more of them. (He already had high-jacked the reindeer toy that sang "Grandma got run over by a reindeer...") He carried them EVERYWHERE with him, or stacked them one on top of the other in a corner, and then he lay "guard"... About 2 months ago he completely lost interest in them.

NOW... Calvin has taken to them. He carries them around all day, has learned how to play them by pushing on the bellies, and he chews and kneads them while they're playing. He's already worn out the reindeer, and he's just about chewed all the fur off of two of the three bugs. He even wants to bring them to bed with us at night! I've begun hiding them just before I crawl in, because if I don't, he will bring them up on the bed and lay them near my pillow and play them all night long.

Friday, when the housekeepers came, I looked for the toys so I could put them away where they wouldn't get "misplaced"... couldn't find them anywhere! When Howard went down to the 3rd floor, there was Calvin AND the 3 toys. When the housekeepers left, he brought them, one-by-one, back upstairs.

Black Irish
Pirate

Post by Black Irish » 10-29-2006 11:01 PM

Dixie Butcher wrote: :D LOL! Hey, I'm curious, when they told you (or someone else who "translated" for you) they wanted canopic jars, were you and/or the channeler aware of what a canopic jar was? ( I had to Google it myself!). If you and/or the channeler didn't know what a canopic jar was, I'd take that as some pretty solid evidence of life after death and also telepathic abilities. :) :cool:

Here are some links for you- don't know if you'll find them satisfactory or not.

Ooooh, Dix-

You are da BOMB darlin...thankyouverymuch!

So sorry I didn't reply to this earlier but, I was away for the weekend @ my parental unit's house.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have always been very psychic & empathic since I was a 'lil tyke & I learned to communicate with my feline friends directly a long time ago. My black cat, Ebony taught me how. @ first it was a 'lil bit goofy to try to read him b/c I would see him acting up & yet I didn't quite know what he was getting @.

The first method tried (to talk to him directly) was to "paint" the bottom of his feeties with a sharpie & have him walk on a big piece of butcher paper. I had a friend @ the time who could put her hands on top of something like that & "Feel" what he was saying through the 'lil paw prints that he left on the paper. It was kind of like if you were to find an object that belonged to someone else & put your hands on it & see that person, yanno.

The results of this 'lil pawprint experiment were VERY dramatic. He told us that he always liked to hide in certain cabinets in my kitchen b/c there was a porthole in the hallway wall that spirits used to travel through & that when he hid in those cabinets he could spy on them but they couldn't see him watching.

We immediately went over to that wall & SHO' NUFF there was a MASSIVE cold spot there that had no other reason to exist where it was! (To skeptics in this arena, YES we did test it to make sure we were not just being goofy...)

After that it became easier & easier for me to see & feel whatever it was he was trying to get across without the pawprints.

Now that he is on the other side, he comes to see me from time to time when I am sleeping & sometimes he will use Shea to communicate for him. This cat (Ebony) was VERY VERY psychic, I felt that the moment I first met him.

I know that there are alot of people who think that animals CAN'T reincarnate but MAN, THIS cat Ebony....After having spent time with him the way that I did....I just gotta disagree.

When you looked into this cat's eyes & felt his energy...It was very obvious that he had been around the block, so to say, more than once & that he knew more about some things than the rest of us will ever know...

He wants to be in a canopic jar b/c he is connected to that type of thing & it's just right & proper to him in that way.

I think he will probably like the sandstone ones on the museum site the best. Thanks.

:cool:
Slán le na laethe a bhí seal go haerach
Muscail ar misneadh trid an domhain mhor

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 10-30-2006 12:25 PM

Black Irish wrote: I think he will probably like the sandstone ones on the museum site the best. Thanks.

My pleasure. Figures he'd want the most expensive ones! LOL! ;) They do look much nicer, though, imho. I don't want to "push" or try to hawk Colleen's book, but she does talk about - or rather the animals tell her about reincarnation a little bit. I realize that a lot of things Colleen says can't be verified scientifically, and you just have to take her or the animal's "word" for it, but she does cite a few incidents that are solid evidence for me. Plus she's nailed a couple of things regarding our own animals in the past.

That's neat about Ebony saw spirits in your house- Colleen used to see/talk to dead people, but it wore her out too much, so she switched over to animals. (I feel like I'm doing her an injustice, over simplifying her life like this...)

One time one of Colleen's pigs (one of her daughters is allergic to most animals, but not pigs - so they have pet pigs!) told Colleen about dead folks coming through a spot in one of their rooms, and one day as they came through the pig told Colleen; so she & the pig went and watched these people enter, mill about, then go back to where they came from. Kooky! No way to verify any of that, to my knowledge, but it's fun to think about. :cool:

Also here is a link for a particular "animal quote" she got from a Guinea Pig named Bruce, which Cecil & I think is hysterical. I wish I was that simple!! :D

PS- can't remember the exact words I used to google the canopic jars, maybe canopic jars reproductions + something else - but you may be able to find more (different/less expensive) if you poke around using those words- I quit searching after page 1.
Last edited by Dixie Butcher on 10-30-2006 12:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 10-30-2006 01:30 PM

I was just poking around the animal quotes page on Colleen's site and found this - something Div might be interested in. In another thread awhile back somebody had wondered why zoos and such don't utilize animal communicators, and I failed to mention that at least one does. The Popcorn Park in N.J. has utilized Colleen's talents quite a bit, from what I understand.

It's easy to poo-poo all of this, and I am a skeptic - as Colleen is well aware- but I've seen enough of her work first hand to know that although she's not always 100% right (and who is?), she definitely has something!! That said, when it comes to a lot of the animal quotes, it's just like with human quotes - if you don't have the voice recorded on tape saying exactly the same words, it's going to be somewhat subjective, and the person recounting it may interpret things differently than what their subject intended.

Colleen has told me that she gets her messages in a variety and sometimes a mixture of ways. The animal sends her pictures, feelings (sometimes actual physical pain, too, sadly) and words. It's hard to explain, and I hope I don't misinterpret what Colleen has told me, but it's like they send her thoughts, and she puts them into words telepathically, and kinda resends it telepathically to the animal to see if she's understanding them correctly. She told me once that some animals -even though they don't really "know" words as we know them- will correct her and let her know that a word she's using to describe something isn't quite right, or not quite what they were trying to say. With some animals. Probably horses, as apparently horses are VERY talky!!

Years ago while doing research for a book I never wrote, I employed Colleen to speak to all of our animals. I wanted to see if she was legit or not. (I think she is. She's also a wonderful person, lots of fun, and I'm blessed to know her if only in a peripheral way.) At the time we had four animals, 2 dogs, a cat & a horse. Our session had to go into overtime as Roger the horse would not shut up!!! And then he accused me of talking too much!!! :D :D :D (Which I know is totally true, but it was a bit of "Pot & Kettlism" on his part!)

But I digress. Even if you don't believe some or any of the animal quotes Colleen has on her website are "for real", they're still beautiful lessons in life, and a way to develop, connect & support empathy between all living creatures.

PS- Black Irish, that is super cool about your animal communication skills. Neat about the paw-print approach, too (and funny!!). I'm so glad you're here at the FF. All of you Pet Pirates are such interesting & cool people!! (As are the non-pet Pirates, of course!) I wish Dale O'Sea would share some of his animal stories with us- he surely has a lot, given all those hilarious little dogs!

Pegasuss
Pirate

Post by Pegasuss » 10-31-2006 06:58 AM

In March of 1978, I was driving through Grantville Pa. A dozen or so Horses were congregating near the fence bordering the road. The horses relayed their feeling of contentment to me. Mostly, they wanted to express the peace with which they felt with their existence. It was an uplifting experience to know that they and I had felt the wonder of what had been provided(and shared)for us.:)
Last edited by Pegasuss on 10-31-2006 07:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.
The Truth Is Out There

Neamhain
Pirate

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Post by Neamhain » 11-01-2006 01:29 PM

Go Kitty!
Cuimhnich air na daoine o

Nemo me impune lacesset

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”